Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Investing in space assets and protecting them is hugely important. "Space Force" sounds and looks dopey but I'm glad the whole thing isn't being torn down.

This. Just look at how brazen countries like China are when they decide to just blow up a satellite. I don't think people realize how easy it would be for a country to create so much space debris that it would essentially lock humanity out of space flight for generations.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the name is silly but I hear it's a reorganization that was needed.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
Piling on, bad name (guardians has to go), bad branding, bad motto, but it's an important thing to have. Trump's a joke and the way it was created made them seem like a joke, so they need to have an image rehabilitation.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
tumblr_ptes2yrIHd1swn6ex_500.gifv

giphy.gif

bruhaha

Jun 13, 2018
Shit, compare this thread to the one when the "Space Force" was first announced.

Why? One was executive action committing billions of dollars to branding and resourcing something ambiguous that the Air Force already was doing. This is an article about a dumb question a reporter asked at the daily press conference and a follow up to the Press Secretary trying to make a joke.

Edit: For those who didn't follow white house news, this is from her answering a followup question today from a joke she made about the frivolity of asking questions about Space Force yesterday. Republicans trying to take her out of context and her having to issue a followup.

www.politico.com

Top House Republican demands Psaki apologize over 'disgraceful' Space Force quip

“It’s concerning to see the Biden administration’s press secretary blatantly diminish an entire branch of our military as the punchline of a joke, which I’m sure China would find funny,” said Rep. Mike Rogers.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this happened because in yesterday's brief, she sarcastically dismissed a Space Force question. They probably are trying to save face.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Idk I never thought space force was that dumb in the first place.

I mean after the proletariat seizes the means of production, it just gives us a better starting position for getting to fully automated luxury gay space communism faster.

Oct 30, 2017
tbh this division isn't that stupid, space is getting more and more important (look at the progress that SpaceX makes, other countries are going to follow).

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was never as connected to Trump as many on ERA thought. It had been in consideration for decades. Consolidating what the AF and Navy were doing in space probably makes sense.

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
Why? One was executive action committing billions of dollars to branding and resourcing something ambiguous that the Air Force already was doing. This is an article about a dumb question a reporter asked at the daily press conference and a follow up to the Press Secretary trying to make a joke.

I'm not talking about the article, I'm talking about the board's reaction. Where was all this nuance before?

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
People dont understand what this is, it just separated what was going on within the airforce and gave it its own official structure.

iXenon

Sep 22, 2019
Frankly, I find the Space Force fine if it leads to significant technological advancement in space travel, safety, and related technology... which I expect it to, frankly, far before it has any relevance in actual "defense" roles. Color me naïve and optimistic.

Space Force maintains and protects American assets in outer space. Guardians, not Explorers. There won't be a unit deployment to Jupiter any time soon

People dont understand what this is, it just separated what was going on within the airforce and gave it its own official structure.

Yeah it's nothing really "new"

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
The space force, like it or not, is part of the military now and any administration (that evidently isn't Trump's) would be absolutely stupid to denounce the military.

bruhaha

Jun 13, 2018
So? it was ok to be angry at being created but it's ok now because it already exists? I don't understand.

Did something change? it's the same Space Force afaik.

You now have active service members under that branch whereas there were zero Space Force Guardians when it was announced. As a leader it's your responsibility to lead and keep morale high for the people you lead, even if their existence is due to sunk costs generated by your predecessor.

Deleted member 62221

Banned
Dec 17, 2019
You now have active service members under that branch whereas there were zero Space Force Guardians when it was announced. As a leader it's your responsibility to lead and keep morale high for the people you lead, even if their existence is due to sunk costs generated by your predecessor.
That makes no sense for me, it's like saying that it's ok now because it already exists not because it was actually needed.
I'm not american so I can only take your opinions as my source of nuance, some months ago Space Force was a waste and a stupid idea, now it's fine because it was actually necessary and "what you gonna do? there's already people working for it".

bruhaha

Jun 13, 2018
That makes no sense for me, it's like saying that it's ok now because it already exists not because it was actually needed.
I'm not american so I can only take your opinions as my source of nuance, some months ago Space Force was a waste and a stupid idea, now it's fine because it was actually necessary and "what you gonna do0, there's already people working for it".

The nuance is in the former case, why waste leadership attention and resources during a pandemic where thousands are dying daily to create a vanity project in the military. In the latter case, why waste leadership attention and resources into shutting down and reassigning people when the pandemic is still the first priority. The administration is concentrating on the pandemic.

Deleted member 62221

Banned
Dec 17, 2019
No, it was always silly to be angry that this was created.

Like I said, where was this nuance before? were people scared to share these thoughts here, fear of being branded Trump supporters or something?

The nuance is in the former case, why waste leadership attention and resources during a pandemic where thousands are dying daily to create a vanity project in the military. In the latter case, why waste leadership attention and resources into shutting down and reassigning people when the pandemic is still the first priority. The administration is concentrating on the pandemic.

I can understand if people tell me this Space Force was actually needed and we just hated it because it was seen as Trump's idea but this post makes no sense to me. You are telling me this shit is actually a vanity project but is ok to let it exist because somehow the government can't do two things at the same time and somehow shutting an organization is more wasteful that let it work?

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Like I said, where was this nuance before? were people scared to share these thoughts here, fear of being branded Trump supporters or something?

I can understand if people tell me this Space Force was actually needed and we just hated it because it was seen as Trump's idea but this post makes no sense to me. You are telling me this shit is actually a vanity project but is ok to let it exist because somehow the government can't do two things at the same time and somehow shutting an organization is more wasteful that let it work?

the nuance was always here.;

bruhaha

Jun 13, 2018
I can understand if people tell me this Space Force was actually needed and we just hated it because it was seen as Trump's idea but this post makes no sense to me. You are telling me this shit is actually a vanity project but is ok to let it exist because somehow the government can't do two things at once and somehow shutting an organization is more wasteful that let it work?

Are you familiar with the US federal budget process? The money's already appropriated and changes would involve congress. No one's talking about wastefulness, I think most people here would rather less money be spent on military. But in politics, yes it is sometimes hard to do more than one thing at once especially involving congress.

Deleted member 62221

Banned
Dec 17, 2019
Are you familiar with the US federal budget process? The money's already appropriated and changes would involve congress. No one's talking about wastefulness, I think most people here would rather less money be spent on military. But in politics, yes it is sometimes hard to do more than one thing at once especially involving congress.
But you still believe the Space Force is a vanity project? because if you believe that then there's no nuance in letting the SF exists only hipocrisy and apathy.

the nuance was always here.;
Mr. Nuance should speak up if he wants to be heard.

bruhaha

Jun 13, 2018
But you still believe the Space Force is a vanity project? because if you believe that then there's no nuance in letting the SF exists only hipocrisy and apathy.

Yes, wasting money on branding and advertising a new branch of the military is a vanity project. Those functions existed already under the air force. You're never going to get the sunk costs of committees and PR people creating the Space Force and designing uniforms, etc back. If you don't understand the nuance, please explain to me what designing new uniforms and a logo accomplished.

Deleted member 62221

Banned
Dec 17, 2019
Yes, wasting money on branding and advertising a new branch of the military is a vanity project. Those functions existed already under the air force. You're never going to get the sunk costs of committees and PR people creating the Space Force and designing uniforms, etc back. If you don't understand the nuance, please explain to me what designing new uniforms and a logo accomplished.
What new uniforms? I'm not the one arguing in favor of creating something new. In fact, my first post here wasn't about the SF itself but the forum's reaction, you went on a tangent.

I think you are completely missing the point of the nuance I'm asking about, if you think this shit is a vanity project then it needs to be shut down or at least not given assurances from politicians, not being treated as another untouchable branch.
If you think it's actually fine then just let it be and realize people freak out over nothing.

It can't be both at once.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
gang, china is militarizing space, same with India/Russia. Which we likely started.

Until theres world peace, Space force is unfortunately *vomits* needed for us to stay as a super power OR step down from the super power table and let China/Russia move forward in that regard. It pre-dates the trump administration as well.. and was the natural evolution of the Navy's scope of lord knows how much of our money they fucking blow. But, its not like trump invented space force.

Who is going to patrol Musks space freight for the billionaires and all that shit. I mean, this is sort of our reality.. Communications, all that.

I agree with fuck them all but, the world is moving forward with space shit. We could ignore it all and play by their rules in the near future. And give that money to the population, but we know that is never going to happen.

bruhaha

Jun 13, 2018
What new uniforms? I'm not the one arguing in favor of creating something new. In fact, my first post here wasn't about the SF itself but the forum's reaction, you went on a tangent.

I think you are completely missing the point of the nuance I'm asking about, if you think this shit is a vanity project then it needs to be shut down or at least not given assurances from politicians, not being treated as another untouchable branch.
If you think it's actually fine then just let it be and realize people freak out over nothing.

The exercise in the creation of the branch and the surrounding PR was a vanity project. The military itself is not a vanity project. However if there weren't other things requiring congress's urgent attention, Biden, Democrats, and people here would love to lower the military budget (or at least stop its growth like Obama did). Until that is a priority, leadership doing things to lower morale would be stupid.

The creation was a vanity project and a sunk cost. Rebranding and shutting down would be another cost and would not recover the original costs. For someone talking about nuance you are trying very hard to ignore it when it's already been repeated to you.

Deleted member 62221

Banned
Dec 17, 2019
The exercise in the creation of the branch and the surrounding PR was a vanity project. The military itself is not a vanity project, though if there weren't other things requiring congress's urgent attention, Biden, Democrats, and people here would love to lower the military budget (or at least stop its growth like Obama did). Until that is a priority, leadership doing things to lower morale would be stupid.

The creation was a vanity project and a sunk cost. Rebranding and shutting down would be another cost and would not recover the original costs. For someone talking about nuance you are trying very hard to ignore it when it's already been repeated to you.
IT'S THE SAME SPACE FORCE.

The idea that creating it was bad but letting it exists is good because of operating costs is major calibre bullshit (fkn uniforms haha) especially when you are the only one using that defense, clearly the govt. doesn't care about fucking uniforms, they care as to not been seen as going against the "sacred" military.

Like I said, I understand if people tell me being angry at the SF was always silly (can't blame them, Trump had that effect) but you trying to find a position in the middle is absurd. I have to assume that you picked a rushed argument and your ego won't let you drop it.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
Sure it can! Hahaha.

This thread should be about coming up with better names for the space force, like all space force threads. Cause no shit Biden is on board for space military.

I still think "Navy 2" is the best one. The logo can be a N against a mirrored N to look like a tiny spaceship. Adorable.

bruhaha

Jun 13, 2018
IT'S THE SAME SPACE FORCE.

The idea that creating it was bad but letting it exists is good because of operating costs is major calibre bullshit (fkn uniforms haha) especially when you are the only one using that defense, clearly the govt. doesn't care about fucking uniforms, they care as to not been seeing as going against the military.

Like I said, I understand if people tell me being angry at the SF was always silly (can't blame them, Trump had that effect) but you trying to find a position in the middle is absurd. I have to assume that you picked a rushed argument and your ego won't let you drop it.

OPERATING COSTS ARE NOT THE SAME AS BRANDING AND REORGANIZATION COSTS.

Not a rushed argument, just one I never made. You're arguing in bad faith.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
An independent Space focused branch was inevitable. And will continue to be much more actively significant for defence than other branches will as space travel and space based weaponry is increasing.

Truth be told, for the interest of cost cutting the Marine Corps is the branch that should be rolled into another...

Sure it can! Hahaha.

This thread should be about coming up with better names for the space force, like all space force threads. Cause no shit Biden is on board for space military.

I still think "Navy 2" is the best one. The logo can be a N against a mirrored N to look like a tiny spaceship. Adorable.

I remember some Poster came up with "No Air Force". That was the best one so far.