• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
When they were both in the Senate, Joe Biden and Mitch McConnell, the Senate majority leader, maintained a strong working relationship that survived some of the most partisan legislative fights in decades.

That relationship will now face a new test when Biden is sworn in as president of the United States and McConnell will be the highest-ranking Republican in the country.

It's a setup familiar to Biden: when he was vice-president, Barack Obama had to battle with an adversarial McConnell, who at one point said the top priority of Senate Republicans was to make Obama a "one-term president".

"I had a great conversation with Mitch McConnell today," Biden said on Tuesday. "I called him to thank him for the congratulations. I told him that while we disagree on a lot of things there are things we can work together on. We agreed to get together sooner than later. And I'm looking forward to working with him."

More significantly, the two have a history of working together through their decades in Congress. Biden was first elected as a senator for Delaware in 1972; McConnell was first elected to the Senate for Kentucky in 1984.

Since then, they have been co-sponsors on 318 bills, according to a Guardian tally. During a contentious debt limit fight in 2011, Biden was the preferred Obama administration liaison for McConnell. Biden has long prided himself about his deep bipartisan ties in the Senate.

"Joe told me of one run-in he'd had on the Senate floor after the Republican leader blocked a bill Joe was sponsoring; when Joe tried to explain the bill's merits, McConnell raised his hand like a traffic cop and said, 'You must be under the mistaken impression that I care,'" Obama wrote. "But what McConnell lacked in charisma or interest in policy he more than made up for in discipline, shrewdness, and shamelessness – all of which he employed in the single-minded and dispassionate pursuit of power."

www.theguardian.com

Biden and McConnell have a long history – but can they really work together now?

The two maintained a strong working relationship in the Senate – but now it will face a new test when Biden is sworn as president

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
McConell doesnt understand the concept of building something anymore.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
McConnell ain't there to make friends. He dgaf. He's just going to exploit Biden's selling point of being "bipartisan" to squeeze him for all he can. I can only hope whatever Biden is doing here is all for show.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's gonna be like in a broken marriage where one spouse is trying to hold it together and the other is so checked out they're cheating, gambling away their life savings and ready to pounce on any mistake as a chance to be abusive and manipulative.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I could see McConnell being a little more easy to work with given that Biden isn't black but overall that piece of shit will be the same as he ever is.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
No.

The GOP sold out the never give up, never surrender way of governance since Newt Gingrich, pressured by Limbaugh, Grover Nordqvist, the Wall Street Journal Editorial Board, rich donors, and think tanks. The party is completely taken over by those interests.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
We already know the answer to this question. It's honestly starting to feel a bit insulting how some people don't understand what McConnell's purpose in the senate is.
My hope is that they do understand and this is a ploy to put pressure on them for the midterms. There are stories from the new Obama memoir where he says that McConnell basically told them to their faces that he didn't give a fuck about how their policies would help people. I think it's more likely they remember that but can't say, "fuck that guy" out loud until popular opinion starts to turn.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Working with Republicans" is a terrible idea in the first place, as they've spent the last few decades (and especially the last four years) proving they want nothing to do with actually helping anyone but themselves. The party itself shouldn't be catered to in the least bit, but Biden spent most of his campaign focusing on exactly this.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
McConnell ain't there to make friends. He dgaf. He's just going to exploit Biden's selling point of being "bipartisan" to squeeze him for all he can. I can only hope whatever Biden is doing here is all for show.
What if McConnell was just angry at the bromance between Biden and Obama, angry to see his once close friend pine for another man, and now that he finally has the chance to once agian be bestest buddies with Biden, he will totally change his entire political outlook and make the GOP into a center-right party that will actually cooperate on most issues that the majority of Americans actually want solutions for. McConnell and Biden, as brothers in arms, will make America whole again.

Sorry, I just accidentally copy-pasted the summary of my political fanfic. The answer is no, of course McConnell wont change his actions one bit.

Mett

Oct 29, 2017
I don't believe so, no. Think we are screwed for another 2 years until next senate elections if Georgia isn't able to get in the two democrats.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Mcconnell is an evil piece of shit. And voting Republicans have shown him the last four years that they want their leaders to be openly vile.

It is going to be at least two years of the senate blocking every single piece of legislation from Biden and other Democrats.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
FYI a video surfaced of Biden saying the exact same things in 2008 about how he feels the GOP will work with him. How'd that work out?

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
tenor.gif

The following will occur before Mitch works with Democrats:
  • China becomes democratic
  • Mother 3 is released in the West

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
No one can work with McConnell, he even refused to meet with the March of Dimes which saved his sad ass from polio when he was a kid.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

Besides obama being in office being one of the main catalysts to fully radicalize the party, McConnell gains nothing from a successful Biden presidency and will probably work to undermine everything to make it easier to take everything back in the next election cycle. Even if he did, the party as a whole does not want to work together and would rather try and burn everything down than work together.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Hey, maybe after we've seen McConnell work with a Democratic president, we can all go out on the lake and float some cannonballs.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I don't understand who the audience is for this kind of reporting. Like who's tuned in enough to follow politics this closely but still like, "oh man, what a pickle. They're gonna work with each other like a buddy cop movie!". Baffling.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Those Georgia elections are important, if Dems win both, Biden will need McConnell a lot less and will have more leverage.
I mean we can keep saying Biden getting played by Mitch or whatever but if the balance of power is 52R 48D then it's kind of hard not to engage the other side.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
If they could win both run offs McConnell will have to play ball. Otherwise nope. Mitch has been able to take the bullets by not bringing stuff to vote because his seat is safer than anyone's. Make him the minority leader and he can fuck off until he dies.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand who the audience is for this kind of reporting. Like who's tuned in enough to follow politics this closely but still like, "oh man, what a pickle. They're gonna work with each other like a buddy cop movie!". Baffling.

These articles get made because Biden keeps extolling his skill in getting the fascists to come to the table and work with him. And enough people believe him.

Just recently, Biden was crowing about getting a call from a couple Repubs.

Republicans tell Biden to hang tight for 6-8 months and then they'll work with him. Biden thinks that's so good he tells the press.

6-8 months takes you to the summer recess. When they return the focus turns to midterms and the legislative window is closed. Good lord have mercy.

So articles like these then talk about the merits since Biden ran on this in the first place - it's why he prides himself on being the only man who could've beaten Trump, and why he's the guy to rescue the GOP from themselves.

It's all horseshit of course, and Biden is probably the biggest mark in politics. I wonder if Harry Reid was holding back laughter when he was quoted for this piece.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I think Biden will have somewhat more success than Obama in that regard, but probably not a whole lot.

Republican obstructionism flows up from Republican voters to the politicians, not the other way around. My hypothesis is that the optics of Republicans "working together" and "compromising" with Biden are not as politically toxic as working with Obama was. Spot the difference between the two.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Biden isn't the mark. It's everyone who believed he would do shit talking about him being the "most progressive President in American history" and "governing like FDR."

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The base thinks Biden "stole" the election from their "God Emperor". Republicans ain't doing shit.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Also, "working with the Republicans" is what gets the crime bill and welfare gutting.

The GOP will gladly gut anything remaining of the New Deal of Dems take credit for things like cutting social security and Medicare.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't Biden's first rodeo but he has to at LEAST try initially even though we already know the answer.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's not happening. It's really sad that we couldn't take a majority in the senate because now Biden has no choice BUT to work with McConnell.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No for fucks sake no . This is precisely why the democrats are known as spineless whimpering children. They keep trying to appeal to a party which is has courted the morally repugnant of society.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Republican's ain't in it with good faith. McConnel is akin to fucking Palpatine. No good reasons to reach out or work with a party which did not firmly put down an attempted coup.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I can't tell if the media is actually genuine in these reads, or just needs to fill in content.
I get Biden falling for the okey doke since its personal, but this article better just be writers trying to fill in content quotas. Because if not, where the fuck have they been for the past decade?

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
No, that's why winning the runoff elections in Georgia should be top priority for both liberals and leftists.

Cousin From Boston

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Nov 21, 2017
McConnell works for McConnell. That ghoul isn't going to do anything that would be even remotely considered a win for Biden or the Democrats.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
GOP aint there to work with dems on anything dems might want (apart from what donors and military want)