For US politics and election threads

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't really have standing last time, tho.
This is literally explicitly written into the bill passed by Congress. There arguments last time was that the bill passed by Congress didn't explicitly provide the exact authority Biden wanted even though it fell under the purview of powers that were expiring granted. They can't just ignore what was written in the bill itself. Their selective semantics are actively working against them this time.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing rumblings that the new expanded forgiveness qualifications for the SAVE plan will be formally announced within the next 3 weeks or so and will likely be open for public comment as part of the formal review process. Conservative think tanks regularly use these public comment parts of the review to try and quash things so when the time comes please be sure to take a few minutes to comment with support for it.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing rumblings that the new expanded forgiveness qualifications for the SAVE plan will be formally announced within the next 3 weeks or so and will likely be open for public comment as part of the formal review process. Conservative think tanks regularly use these public comment parts of the review to try and quash things so when the time comes please be sure to take a few minutes to comment with support for it.
I'll have to keep an eye out for that, ty for the heads up.

Also hope everyone who's waiting to hear back has the SAVE plan come through for them.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
What do I do if my Save Plan application has just been on Application Processed. It says to check with my servicer, which is Mohela, but there's nothing there about it at all.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
What do I do if my Save Plan application has just been on Application Processed. It says to check with my servicer, which is Mohela, but there's nothing there about it at all.
You need to give Mohela a call. Make sure you make note of the call and what was discussed. If they don't follow through you can report them to the loan servicer feedback line and potentially get your loans dismissed if they are found at fault

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yep you have to give them 30 days from first contact and I believe make at least one more attempt to reach out to them. Documentation is key though so just make sure you keep track of all calls and what was discussed
So just double checking but:
Login to mohela website
Check the status where?
If still not accepted, try to call/email(latter for a paper trail?)
That's the start right?

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
So just double checking but:
Login to mohela website
Check the status where?
If still not accepted, try to call/email(latter for a paper trail?)
That's the start right?
There should be an Income Driven Repayment Plan details page that will tell you what your current plan is and what the status of any applications are on the mohela site. If it doesn't show you are on SAVE plan call them and ask for a status update on your application and why it hasn't been accepted yet. They may tell you to reapply. If they do then go ahead and reapply. Either way the 30 days window starts then

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
There should be an Income Driven Repayment Plan details page that will tell you what your current plan is and what the status of any applications are on the mohela site. If it doesn't show you are on SAVE plan call them and ask for a status update on your application and why it hasn't been accepted yet. They may tell you to reapply. If they do then go ahead and reapply. Either way the 30 days window starts then
Oh it had been a while since I checked, and so I just did. I'm now officially on SAVE! No sign of forgiveness or anything new otherwise tho. So I'm all good now.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Don't stress about this it's well within the defined role of the Department of Education to do this especially considering it's under the formal review process which is even more well defined. They have 0 standing whatsoever here.

Edit: for those curious the suit filing is available here and it is filed with Judge Crabtree who is a an Obama appointed judge in the District court of Kansas

Still a 90% chance that SC sides with their own

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
madison.com

President Joe Biden expected to roll out new student loan forgiveness plan in Madison next week

The effort would mark Biden's second attempt at large-scale loan forgiveness after the U.S. Supreme Court last year overturned the administration's first debt cancellation plan.
Democratic President Joe Biden will unveil his latest effort to expand student loan relief when he visits Madison on Monday, according to news reports.
Citing unnamed sources, The Wall Street Journal first reported Friday the Biden administration plans to propose reducing or eliminating student outstanding loans for millions of borrowers. The Wall Street Journal story and a similar article in The Washington Post said the announcement would be made in Madison, home to the flagship campus of the Universities of Wisconsin.
The plan that Biden will detail seeks to expand federal student loan relief to new categories of borrowers through the Higher Education Act, which administration officials believe puts it on a stronger legal footing than the sweeping proposal that was killed by a 6-3 court majority last year, according to The Washington Post.

Many of the specifics that Biden will discuss Monday have long been telegraphed through a negotiated rulemaking process at the Department of Education, which has worked for months to hash out the new categories of borrowers. The president announced immediately after the Supreme Court decision that Education Secretary Miguel Cardona would undertake the process because he would have the power under the Higher Education Act to waive or compromise student loan debt in specific cases.

"This new path is legally sound," Biden said in June. "It's going to take longer, but, in my view, it's the best path that remains to providing for as many borrowers as possible with debt relief."
Biden's latest attempt at cancellation is expected to be smaller and more targeted than his original plan, which would have canceled up to $20,000 in loans for more than 40 million borrowers. Details of the new plan have come into focus in recent months as the Education Department brought its ideas to a panel of outside negotiators with an interest in higher education, ranging from students to loan servicers.
"President Biden's expected additional executive action will greatly reduce the burden of student loans for millions of Americans," Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said Friday. "There is always more work to be done to alleviate the burden of student loan debt. And we will not stop until crippling student loan debt is a thing of the past."

Through that process, the agency laid out five categories of borrowers who would be eligible to get some or all of their federal loans canceled. The plan is focused on helping those with the greatest need for relief, including many who might otherwise never repay their loans.

Among those targeted for help are individuals whose unpaid interest has snowballed beyond the size of the original loan. The proposal would reset their balances back to the initial balance by erasing up to $10,000 or $20,000 in interest, depending on a borrower's income.
Borrowers paying down their student loans for decades would get all remaining debt erased under the department's plan. Loans used for a borrower's undergraduate education would be canceled if they had been in repayment for at least 20 years. For other types of federal loans, it's 25 years.

The plan would automatically cancel loans for those who went to for-profit college programs deemed "low-value." Borrowers would be eligible for cancellation if, while they attended the program, the average federal student loan payment among graduates was too high compared to their average salary.

Those who are eligible for other types of cancellation but haven't applied would automatically get relief. It would apply to Public Service Loan Forgiveness and Borrower Defense to Repayment, programs that have been around for years but require infamously difficult paperwork.

Under pressure from advocates, the department also added a category for those facing "hardship." It would offer cancellation to borrowers considered highly likely to be in default within two years. Additional borrowers would be eligible for relief under a wide-ranging definition of financial hardship.

Rule under review

A series of hearings to craft the rule wrapped up in February, and the draft is now under review. Before it can be finalized, the Education Department will need to issue a formal proposal and open it to a public comment period.

The latest attempt at cancellation joins other targeted initiatives, including those aimed at public service workers and low-income borrowers. Through those efforts, the Biden administration says it has canceled $144 billion in student loans for almost 4 million Americans.

Last edited:

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Oh it had been a while since I checked, and so I just did. I'm now officially on SAVE! No sign of forgiveness or anything new otherwise tho. So I'm all good now.
Awesome! Congrats! Nothing left for you to do for now just keep an eye out for that announcement I mentioned in my post above

Still a 90% chance that SC sides with their own
You're just making figures up out of thin air. This is not some temporary power granted to the executive it's the formal process laid out in the act that established the loan program. They aren't declaring the student loan reform act unconstitutional.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Biden Admin has announced the new forgiveness paths! You can find the details on the student aid website here

Keep an eye out for the public comments that will be required and make sure to comment in support of these programs!

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Included in this is FULL interest forgiveness for anyone enrolled in an income based repayment plan like SAVE that makes below the following income limits:

single borrowers earning $120,000 or less a year, and married borrowers who make $240,000.

So anyone whose balance has ballooned over their original student loan principal since repayment started would see all of that interest cleared from their accounts entirely if they meet the above income limits.

Expect them to be extremely flexible on hardship related forgiveness as well. If you have any sort of ongoing medical issue that requires regular treatment with any sort of cost attached you will likely be eligible under the hard ship forgiveness.

Have a really busy day today at work so I won't be able to answer folks right away but I'll try and pop in to answer questions and provide information once the work day is over. As always feel free to tag me here or reach out directly via DM if you prefer

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
A big note I saw was that anyone who has been paying for 20 years will have their loans forgiven, appears to be without limitation on income or Loan plan type.

• Cancel student debt for borrowers with undergraduate loans who entered repayment at least 20 years ago and debt for graduate school borrowers who entered repayment at least 25 years ago.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Would this wipe interest for the full duration of my loan? I'm paying monthly, non save plan, and over the course of my loan I'm looking to pay like 7k in interest

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Expect them to be extremely flexible on hardship related forgiveness as well. If you have any sort of ongoing medical issue that requires regular treatment with any sort of cost attached you will likely be eligible under the hard ship forgiveness.
Wow, this might apply to me, depending on just how flexible they are with the definition

We also got married last year but filed separately this year because I have undergrad loans coming back, while she has new graduate loan payments, so it worked out to be cheaper to do it that way. But if it forgives interest, we're still under the 240k mark if we file joint, we'll have to look into which is better.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
So regarding that ten-year, 12k-or-less forgiveness thing they announced if Feb — if it hasn't happened to me yet, I'm to assume it just isn't going to happen? Maybe I don't qualify after all, somehow

In that case, I guess I'm back in for the 20-year long haul 🥲

PhoenixSFT

Oct 25, 2017
Superior, CO
Included in this is FULL interest forgiveness for anyone enrolled in an income based repayment plan like SAVE that makes below the following income limits:

single borrowers earning $120,000 or less a year, and married borrowers who make $240,000.

This would be huge, I can't be on SAVE now with our combined income and how we file our taxes, but I think this potential new change would completely cancel out my remaining balance.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
So regarding that ten-year, 12k-or-less forgiveness thing they announced if Feb — if it hasn't happened to me yet, I'm to assume it just isn't going to happen? Maybe I don't qualify after all, somehow

It's rolling out in waves. Just be patient. Don't stress about it and continue as normal for now.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017

Whether you can get forgiveness prior to 20 years is dependent on your initial loan balance. Do you know what it was?

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Whether you can get forgiveness prior to 20 years is dependent on your initial loan balance. Do you know what it was?
The initial balance only applies to forgiveness at 10 years. The graduated forgiveness is based on current balance. At $12k they would be eligible under graduated forgiveness at 12 years of repayment

PhoenixSFT

Oct 25, 2017
Superior, CO
You'll need to be on an income based plan of some sort to be eligibility for the interest cancellation

So could I switch to SAVE once this goes into affect since the issue before was that our combined income was too high? It seems nuts to me that my wife, who has no student loans, factors into how my student loans are repaid.

I started with $20,869.70 in April 2010, and currently have $12,955.78 remaining with a 6% interest rate in MOHELA.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
So could I switch to SAVE once this goes into affect since the issue before was that our combined income was too high? It seems nuts to me that my wife, who has no student loans, factors into how my student loans are repaid.

I started with $20,869.70 in April 2010, and currently have $12,955.78 remaining with a 6% interest rate in MOHELA.
You should definitely get on SAVE then as you'd be covered under the graduated forgiveness given the total you have and the length of time you've been paying. Eligibility and payment calculation is based on the AGI on your taxes so if you file separately for this years return you can use that instead when you apply.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Shit… I guess I should look into SAVE. Graduated in 2013 and my loan debt is ridiculous still. I feel like a prisoner to it.

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
Shit… I guess I should look into SAVE. Graduated in 2013 and my loan debt is ridiculous still. I feel like a prisoner to it.
Same. Some of my private plans have actually made pretty good progress, but my federal ones are nuts.

I'm afraid to apply to the save plan as when I did a quick check it would have nearly doubled my payment rate and my wife recently changed to a much lower paying job. Not sure if I'd get locked in to a new rate by just applying.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHHAAA!!!

I've been trying this for months just to get a simple forbearance.
I used to just wait for them to email or call me lol

Worked perfectly but this was with Navient/Sally Mae. Did it for yeeears like that

I think they legally have to call you before any changes can be made anyway.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
The initial balance only applies to forgiveness at 10 years. The graduated forgiveness is based on current balance. At $12k they would be eligible under graduated forgiveness at 12 years of repayment

This says 12K initially borrowed is forgiven at 10 years, initially 13K at 11 years, initially 14K at 12 years, and so on. I've never seen anything regarding current balances.

If you borrowed $12,000 or less, you'll receive loan forgiveness after making the equivalent of 10 years of payments. (This amount of time is called your repayment term.) If you borrowed more than $12,000, then your repayment term will rise by one year for every additional $1,000 borrowed. For example, if you originally borrowed between $12,001 and $13,000, you'll see forgiveness after 11 years, and if you borrowed between $13,001 and $14,000, you'll get forgiveness after 12 years.

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
Question for those in the know, since I basically have my interest paid off (I have like 15k principal and under $40 in interest left) would it benefit me at all to switch to an ICR? It looks like it would lengthen my loan out to 2032, lower my payments, but increase my amount owed by like $3k. At this point I'm probably stuck in principal only mode with no benefit to forgiveness right?

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017

Please do. Feel free to ask for help with the process here if you want. There are a couple other threads including one I made myself recently with direct links and explainers on the process.

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHHAAA!!!

I've been trying this for months just to get a simple forbearance.

They aren't great for sure especially right now with so many folks trying to switch before the payment history exceptions expire the end of this month. But it's the next step of what needs to be done regardless of the inanity of getting through to them right now.

This says 12K initially borrowed is forgiven at 10 years, initially 13K at 11 years, initially 14K at 12 years, and so on. I've never seen anything regarding current balances.

Where is that text from? AFAIK this deviates from past statements made on the graduated forgiveness.

Question for those in the know, since I basically have my interest paid off (I have like 15k principal and under $40 in interest left) would it benefit me at all to switch to an ICR? It looks like it would lengthen my loan out to 2032, lower my payments, but increase my amount owed by like $3k. At this point I'm probably stuck in principal only mode with no benefit to forgiveness right?
The increase in amount paid you are seeing there is just because it's a longer pay off timeline so you'll be saying slightly more thanks to interest. As far as if it's worth it to apply; it's up to you. It could lead to a lower payment. Something else to keep in mind is that payments on the SAVE plan will be halved for undergrad loans come July. The other thing to keep in mind is that applying for SAVE now allows you to take advantage of the expanded payment history exceptions that might move you closer towards one of the forgiveness paths for folks on one of these plans.

My advice is always to get on SAVE if you're eligible and figure out if any of the oaths to loan forgiveness apply to your situation. Take a look at the studentaid.gov link I posted earlier in this thread for a break down of the new forgiveness paths they announced today

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
It's rolling out in waves. Just be patient. Don't stress about it and continue as normal for now.

initial loan balance is under 12k (thankfully). And yeah, thanks for the reassurance. I'm good at stressing.

Another weird thing — NELNET has me down for the SAVE plan, but studentaid.gov shows me having an IDR Payment Plan recertification Request in process… from 2019. It had previously been long closed, and I've had some recerts submitted and approved since then like normal. Anyone else had that happen?

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I see the MAGA cultists on Twitter are absolutely melting down at the idea that Biden wants to help those struggling with debt once again.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
Another weird thing — NELNET has me down for the SAVE plan, but studentaid.gov shows me having an IDR Payment Plan recertification Request in process… from 2019. It had previously been long closed, and I've had some recerts submitted and approved since then like normal. Anyone else had that happen?
Yes I still have a several recertifications listed as in process but also a completed SAVE and consolidation from earlier this year. I'm on Mohela.

Another odd thing, my most recent loan payment is shown as completed but all the info for my next payment says $0? My balance is still there. Maybe they are recalculating something?

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
initial loan balance is under 12k (thankfully). And yeah, thanks for the reassurance. I'm good at stressing.

Yep same thing happened to me. As long as you are shown as being enrolled in SAVE you're good. That just means the servicer didn't close the request after moving you into the plan. Doesn't factor into anything as far as the new plan or the new forgiveness paths is concerned.

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not but my save plan monthly payment is $400 compared to my other plan that's $200 a month. Isn't save suppose to help me out.