For US politics and election threads

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
For those on SAVE, much of this is already covered or rendered moot by it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
If I understand correctly, being eligible for any larger forgiveness supersedes any active enrollment in SAVE/IDR.
They'll contact you if you meet all the requirements.
I've got my fingers crossed. I've been on income based for years and I was on forbearance for quite a bit too. Haven't had the means to make a dent in it

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I've got my fingers crossed. I've been on income based for years and I was on forbearance for quite a bit too. Haven't had the means to make a dent in it
I'm in the same boat with my (now formerly) FFELP loan. Instead of being told about available options by both ACS and Navient, I was simply told to go with forbearance, and my interest just built for a handful of years around the time of the Recession. Been playing catch-up ever since.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
You need to switch to SAVE ASAP to get all those forbearances to count as eligible months for forgiveness going forward.

Same boat. Was in forbearance for a decade and finally switched over to save where it finally counts as eligible payments.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
this is great, but they really need to address the heart of the issue. tuition costs should be regulated. federal interest rates should be minimal, basically should only be there to cover costs and should not be a money-making operation

Maybe they're working on it behind the scenes but I haven't seen much in the way of even proposals to make this happen. Unless they plan on forgiving debt every decade or so?

it just makes no sense to me to throw a band-aid on it when the issue is still ever-present for literally anyone applying and attending colleges and universities in the united states now and going forward. It's mind blowing to me that fixes are almost never discussed

I think his free community college proposal was one way of fixing the cost side of the issues, but there wasn't enough support in Congress.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about a year and half from PSLF wiping out my federal, but it's the private loans I still can't get away from.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
You need to switch to SAVE ASAP to get all those forbearances to count as eligible months for forgiveness going forward.

Same boat. Was in forbearance for a decade and finally switched over to save where it finally counts as eligible payments.
Already on Save. Finally got confirmation this week after applying months ago. Also yeah I was on forebearance for maybe a year or 2(been a while) before the Covid freeze hit which then extended it for the 3 or so years. Was on income based before that.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Included in this is FULL interest forgiveness for anyone enrolled in an income based repayment plan like SAVE that makes below the following income limits:

single borrowers earning $120,000 or less a year, and married borrowers who make $240,000.

So anyone whose balance has ballooned over their original student loan principal since repayment started would see all of that interest cleared from their accounts entirely if their reported AGI on their last income taxes fall below those figures.

Expect them to be extremely flexible on hardship related forgiveness as well. If you have any sort of ongoing medical issue that requires regular treatment with any sort of cost attached you will likely be eligible under the hard ship forgiveness.

Last edited:

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
I've accrued almost 40,000 dollars in interest over my original student loan amount over the last 20 years due to a decade of being poor to the point of not being able to pay.

I've been working on it sense but it was always going to be a nearly impossible climb. My loan is being reviewed by borrowers defense right now, but should it not be lowered any I'm hoping these new rules help me out at some point.

Will change millions of peoples lives.

Deleted member 50498

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I've accrued almost 40,000 dollars in interest over my original student loan amount over the last 20 years due to a decade of being poor to the point of not being able to pay.

I've been working on it sense but it was always going to be a nearly impossible climb. My loan is being reviewed by borrowers defense right now, but should it not be lowered any I'm hoping these new rules help me out at some point.

I hope this helps you out.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Already on Save. Finally got confirmation this week after applying months ago. Also yeah I was on forebearance for maybe a year or 2(been a while) before the Covid freeze hit which then extended it for the 3 or so years. Was on income based before that.
Gotcha. Good work!

Skyshark

Apr 26, 2021
Is any of what you still owe considered as interest, rather than the principle?

I'd have to check. Not really sure, tbh.

If your loans are eligible to be consolidated into Direct Loans, you already have a path to get those previous payments reassessed and counted eligible for IDR forgiveness which puts you really close to the full forgiveness at 20 years. You have to hurry and consolidate ASAP though for that easy route because that reassessment will expire soon.

I did that last year in anticipation for the previous forgiveness. We all know how that turned out, unfortunately.

Tranquility

Oct 28, 2017
I am glad tuition is free and student loans have about a 1% interest here (Sweden). 4 more years and then I am debt free, 27 years after graduating. No point paying it off in advance.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
it just makes no sense to me to throw a band-aid on it when the issue is still ever-present for literally anyone applying and attending colleges and universities in the united states now and going forward. It's mind blowing to me that fixes are almost never discussed

This has been my complaint forever. The current folks in debt need help, but if it was an either/or scenario, I'd rather fix the system than focus on the bandages. I don't believe it has to be one or the other, though, but it seems like almost all effort is focused on the current folks suffering and not fixing the system.

How to fix it? Fuck if I know, but I'm also not in the field of education or governmental spending / regulation.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
This has been my complaint forever. The current folks in debt need help, but if it was an either/or scenario, I'd rather fix the system than focus on the bandages. I don't believe it has to be one or the other, though, but it seems like almost all effort is focused on the current folks suffering and not fixing the system.

How to fix it? Fuck if I know, but I'm also not in the field of education or governmental spending / regulation.

I just hope that the current generation doesn't look at this and expect the same kind of treatment (which is no guarantee at all), so they go ahead and (knowingly) sign up for predatory loans. If anything I'd hope this would increase awareness of the problem and a will to fix it.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Really hoping I qualify for at least ONE of these many forgiveness/reduction plans. Either way I appreciate RexNovis assistance with getting the ball rolling.
Make sure to check the student aid gov link I posted earlier that gives you the breakdown. I'd be shocked if you weren't eligible for some path here. They will be bending over backwards to make folks qualify for stuff like hardship forgiveness

Last edited:

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017

Have you been in repayment for 20 years? If so your Undergrad loans will be totally forgiven under these new rules. Congrats!

Oh, perfect. I've had my loans for 19 years and two months and owe like 2k less today than I did when I graduated. So looks like I'm fucked.
Under these new rules your remaining balance would be forgiven after 20 years of repayment regardless of your current plan

Last edited:

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
student loan debt is a fucking crime.

Someday I honestly think everyone should just get their excessive debt they were forced to pay paid back to them. When we have a SCOTUS, president and legislature that allows for it. It's fucking criminal and predatory full stop and it should be made null and void.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Would love to wipe out my interest, good that everyone is eligible for that

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope that the current generation doesn't look at this and expect the same kind of treatment (which is no guarantee at all), so they go ahead and (knowingly) sign up for predatory loans. If anything I'd hope this would increase awareness of the problem and a will to fix it.
I mean, all this stuff should apply to any future students going forward as well. As long as it's not gutted, the frameworks still stand.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Aren't most kids these days disillusioned by college which is why private universities are struggling to recruit students?

fortune.com

The labor shortage is pushing American colleges into crisis, with the plunge in enrollment the worst ever recorded

“If I would have gone to college after school, I would be dead broke,” says 19-year-old Daniel Moody. “The type of money we’re making out here, you’re not going to be making that while you’re trying to go to college.”

thehill.com

College enrollment could take a big hit in 2025. Here’s why.

Story at a glance College enrollment numbers have been declining for years, taking a hit during the pandemic. Colleges saw the first bump in enrollment since the&nbs…

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Have a really busy day today at work so I won't be able to answer folks right away but I'll try and pop in to answer questions and provide information once the work day is over. As always feel free to tag me here or reach out directly via DM if you prefer

Skyshark

Apr 26, 2021
Have you been in repayment for 20 years? If so your Undergrad loans will be totally forgiven under these new rules. Congrats!

Under these new rules your remaining balance would be forgiven after 20 years of repayment regardless of your current plan
Perfect. If this gets approved, I'll apply for forbearance until my 20 years hits.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Perfect. If this gets approved, I'll apply for forbearance until my 20 years hits.
Don't do that just get in the SAVE plan. You'll need to make payments for the last 10 payments but the SAVE plan will ensure your entire prior payment history will count towards forgiveness regardless of forbearances or missed payments

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
So I've been making payments, is this saying that the payments I've been making, the interest would be cancelled out so more of it would be applied to the principal?

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how this is a superior position legally just because it's more targeted and with more restraint.

Not trying to be a doomer, just genuinely not seeing what is better here to avoid a demand that this be handled congressionaly.
This is via the formal rule making process detailed in the original legislation passed by Congress. So unless SCOTUS wants to declare the student loan act altogether unconstitutional there will be no overturning this

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not American, but something like that here would have saved my house and about 2 years of hell I've been living through the last couple.

Do not let them stop this.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Well damn, I consolidated my loans earlier this year and now it says my interest accumulation is like $45, when it was way higher before I consolidated.
If it's with federal consolidation they will be looking at accrued interest over original principal not non capitalized interest which is what that $45 you see is

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
This is only for federal student loan debt, right? I may be missing that info in the article.

Yes but I think if you consolidate into a direct loan on the student aide website it will count as federal? Not sure. It was something I was recommended to do to try and get my private loan in on the SAVE plan.
Yep this is correct. Many private loans are eligible for federal consolidation due to temporary eligibility waivers that are still available through the end of this month so make sure to apply before then.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I went to my borrower site and looked at my loans (all federal and never consolidated) and there is an "Original Principal" and an "Unpaid Principal" for each loan. Am I to understand that if the unpaid principal value is higher than the original principal that the difference between those two numbers is going to be cancelled?

Because if that is the case I'm about to get 10k deduction in student loans.

Bengraven