• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
This is expected but deeply sad. GameInformer at one point was a top 5 circulated magazine. I haven't read it in a long time, but it was an institution and its fate is tied with GameStop.

Hope the people who are laid off or still there land on their feet. This goes for not just the writers, but also all the people who do art, lay it out, manage their digital and physical distribution.

There is a lot that goes into publishing a magazine. Feels like GI will be one of the last big US game magazines.

Last edited:

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
dying last gasps of the magazine industry. real shame. videogame magazines were a staple for so long in the 80s/90s. sad shit, but that's the reality of media these days.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
This breaks my heat. I love the GI team. Their podcasts and videos are all a part of my weekly routine.

They never got the recognition they deserved. These guys need to start a Patreon. I'd sub Day 1.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
If Gamestop wholly owns GI, why wouldn't they just sell off the publication? Probably would have given them a bigger cash boost, no?

less

Oct 25, 2017
Sad news to hear. GI used to be my favorite source of gaming news in the 2000s. To see experience such losses and possibly have a bleak future as it is tied to the waning Gamestop is a not pleasant to think about.

Best of luck to all those let go and all those still there.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Between GameStop and the lackluster sales of magazines in our digital age I had been worried about GameInformer for awhile.

My 120 or so issues will be lonely without any new ones.

Assuming it is closing anyways.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Hope everyone is able to transition to something new without too much trouble. I know it's rough out there.

If Gamestop wholly owns GI, why wouldn't they just sell off the publication? Probably would have given them a bigger cash boost, no?
Maybe nobody wanted to buy. Or maybe they feel that cutting costs allows them to still extract some value out of it.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta

GI is doing well for them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the GameStop execs think they can keep the profits that GI brings in while cutting 50% of the staff in some sick mindset that it's a positive gain for the company

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
GI is doing well for them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the GameStop execs think they can keep the profits that GI brings in while cutting 50% of the staff in some sick mindset that it's a positive gain for the company

Yup, I agree this sounds the most likely scenario. Imran already said they were profitable as far as he knew.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah you weren't supposed to sell the GI issue separately, and more recently you COULDN'T sell the GI issue separately through the POS. like, if you scanned the UPC it would tell you "sales of individual GI issues are prohibited" or some shit. i would just hand them out, there were plenty.

GameStop is a horrible company.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
My last issue was the batman arkham knight spread and that was also around the same time I let my power up rewards lapse because i stopped going to gamestop at that point :(

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
I would certainly contribute to a patreon of a magazine staffed by these fine folks.

Game Informer existed as a marketing wing of GameStop. Their mags to my knowledge were only available to GameStop premium members (or whatever they call it). Their fate and the fate of GameStop seem inseparably tied. I don't think there's a scenario where GameStop is struggling but GI is doing fine.
You can buy a subscription to the magazine. It's only sold at GameStop, but back issues are available direct from Game Informer, and I think there still might be a mail-in option to subscribe to the magazine. I have a subscription that is not tied to a GameStop membership.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
You know, layoffs are always horrible, but it's certainly possible to treat the departing employees with the dignity, care, and respect the situation deserves. Lots of companies do it.

Really gross display by GameStop here.

OP
OP
Fanto

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
You can buy a subscription to the magazine. It's only sold at GameStop, but back issues are available direct from Game Informer, and I think there still might be a mail-in option to subscribe to the magazine. I have a subscription that is not tied to a GameStop membership.
Yeah, this is true. I just have a normal subscription to the magazine, no GameStop memberships involved. You can just scroll down on this page and find the options.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Not really, no. When I worked at MTV, I was a "permalancer," which meant I got a "salary" that was actually paid out hourly like a contractor, so they could avoid giving me benefits. It also meant when the 2008 recession hit, they could let me go without benefits, without severance. My boss heard about the looming cuts two weeks (!!) before they were going to tell the org's permalancers, and he gave me a heads up so I could start looking for another job.
Jesus Christ, that's so scummy. Glad your boss was helpful at least. :\

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
yeah you weren't supposed to sell the GI issue separately, and more recently you COULDN'T sell the GI issue separately through the POS. like, if you scanned the UPC it would tell you "sales of individual GI issues are prohibited" or some shit. i would just hand them out, there were plenty.

GameStop is a horrible company.

Yup. On two separate occasions at 2 different Gamestops I tried to buy an individual issue and literally couldn't.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they've also discouraged mentioning the magazine at all, and fault the employee for signing someone up for a PUR card with a physical magazine attached.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Always sucks to hear about people losing their jobs. Hope they end up in good situations.
Liked the GI podcast a great deal.

That said, the way I consume gaming news is part of the reason why these downsizings/shut downs happen in the (quality) gaming journalism space.
Metacritic, YouTube, Twitch, Twitter and ResetEra are pushing paid gaming journalism out of the market. Similar to how Expedia, AirBnB, Google Flights etc. have made travel agencies obsolete.

I'm in my mid 30s so I still remember when magazines were THE go to source for scoops, rumours, reviews, demos, trailers etc.
Nowadays, I read like two or three articles per month tops. Actually, I'm often too lazy to click on the article and just read the cliffnotes version on ERA.
When it comes to making purchase decisions on games, I browse the review thread here and go watch YouTube videos.
Also doesn't help that the publishers/developers have "cut out the middleman" and communicate with consumers directly now.
Podcasts? Yeah, but I'm not sure how GI or Kotaku extract any money from me with them. Never signed up for MeUndees or Squarespace.

tl;dr: This is only the beginning :(

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
Their Sonic 06 Replay was a treasure, as well as Illbleed. I also enjoyed their podcast now and then. Shame to see mostly half of them go.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Man, out of nowhere. I was just appreciating one of Imran's articles the other day and thinking how well-written it was.

Best wishes to everyone that was laid off.

Freed Games

Oct 29, 2017
Austria
Employers should give their employees two week notices, like how we do for them.

That's what I wanted to ask, is there nothing like a minimum period of notice in the US? Here it is at least 1 month if you have a permanent contract, even longer depending on your position / how long you are in the company, this is valid for both sides obviously.

Could someone explain this "good" story to me?

Last edited:

Johnnybarra

Nov 1, 2018
This breaks my heat. I love the GI team. Their podcasts and videos are all a part of my weekly routine.

They never got the recognition they deserved. These guys need to start a Patreon. I'd sub Day 1.

Same. And, I don't sub to some creators who I love, but GI I would 100% support them however I could.