• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Cosmic hex on the Knicks. Now they'll get the number 1 pick, take Zion, and persistent knee issues will bury his career.

And it goes on and on until sadness infinity.

EqSR4b0.jpg

Similar to Ewing.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
The shoes worn by potential billion dollar athletes like Zion have to be of a much higher quality than what an ordinary person can commercially buy right?

Is it against NCAA rules for Nike to give Zion thousand dollar shoes for example? If so you would think that Duke would pay for them. It's inexcusable for a guy like Zion to have his shoes explode.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The shoes worn by potential billion dollar athletes like Zion have to be of a much higher quality than what an ordinary person can commercially buy right?

Is it against NCAA rules for Nike to give Zion thousand dollar shoes for example? If so however you would think that Duke would pay for them.
Why would they be higher quality?

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because Zion will make Duke, Nike, and the NBA hundreds of millions of dollars. Guys like him should be wearing the best shoes that money can buy.
There's no such thing as higher quality basketball shoes. Like they top out around like what 180 for LeBron. I need the pg2 shoes are great basketball shoes I have one of them years and play bal

Swauny Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Adidas, Puma and Under Armour are salivating for a chance to scoop him up once he leaves college after this shoe debacle

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's chump change for athletes like Lebron. If I were him I would not be happy with wearing shoes that any ordinary person can buy.
But he wouldn't get a shoe deal if that was the case. The whole reason why these deals is for people to have the ability to wear shoes that their favorite athlete uses and wear on the court. and there's not that much higher-quality you can go for athletic shoes because they wear out so much and not really worth it.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I didn't want the knicks to draft zion anyway..... *lies*

Damn.... I've had shows break but not like that. The man was too powerful for his shoe.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
But he wouldn't get a shoe deal if that was the case. The whole reason why these deals is for people to have the ability to wear shoes that their favorite athlete uses and wear on the court. and there's not that much higher-quality you can go for athletic shoes because they wear out so much and not really worth it.

I'm going to have to disagree here, Nike can easily go the extra mile and make the same shoes for guys like Lebron that they sell in stores but with much higher quality materials.

Check out this technology for example, Nike could not sell this commercially because it would cost too much, but Lebron, Zion, etc. are a different matter.

https://www.businessinsider.com/graphene-unbreakable-rubber-bands-2017-8

Swauny Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt this will change Zion view on Nike. Most people dream of getting their own signature Nike shoe.

Yes true. But it won't stop the other shoe companies from making grandiose promises on their shoes quality and durability as well as full scale promotion for a budding star. Adidas is a legit threat to Nike for this young man.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes true. But it won't stop the other shoe companies from making grandiose promises on their shoes quality and durability as well as full scale promotion for a budding star. Adidas is a legit threat to Nike for this young man.
It's not about qualities or durability about money. Everyone knows zion hopefully will be the next LeBron so now he's going to go all in for the man. And even then he's going to get his own shoe designed for him.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to have to disagree here, Nike can easily go the extra mile and make the same shoes for guys like Lebron that they sell in stores but with much higher quality materials.

Check out this technology for example, Nike could not sell this commercially because it would cost too much, but Lebron, Zion, etc. are a different matter.

https://www.businessinsider.com/graphene-unbreakable-rubber-bands-2017-8
because it's not about LeBron or Zion it's about you and I everyday people that's why these deals exist. why would Nike go to the trouble of r&d an experimental technology for a basketball shoe? Like the whole selling point on player basketball shoes is that is the same choose at the players wear that's the whole point of them.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still have no idea how serious the injury is. Duke could be lying, hoping to limit concern. Duke would want to do as much as possible to help Zions draft stock. Also, even if 'mild', that could be a tear waiting to happen sooner or later if not treated right.

Swauny Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It depends who they get with the extra first the Mavs gave them, because Luka's ceiling>>>>>> Trae's ceiling.

Luka is doing this shit without an offseason of NBA conditioning.

No way in hell Luka's ceiling is higher than Trae Youngs LMAO. Luka's body isn't going to hold up and the game will catch up to him quickly. His body type and lack of athletic ability is going to hinder him in the future. I feel for his knees...

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
because it's not about LeBron or Zion it's about you and I everyday people that's why these deals exist. why would Nike go to the trouble of r&d an experimental technology for a basketball shoe? Like the whole selling point on player basketball shoes is that is the same choose at the players wear that's the whole point of them.

I understand that, but I also don't see why Nike shouldn't go the extra mile to produce shoes that look exactly the same but are made with higher quality components.

Billion dollar companies like Nike, Adidas, etc. should be spending a fair amount of money on R&D. If Nike for example could make shoes with graphene infused rubber soles don't you think that would give them an edge over the competition when it comes to signing the world's top athletes?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

That's interesting though because for every other sport, Nike and other athletic wear companies do develop customized, ultra high end versions. Running shoes, for example. Some of these can be tens of thousands of dollars. Why is basketball different? You sure they don't give them high end shoes that just look like the consumer model?

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
Wow - I can't even imagine what's going through his and his family's minds right now. Hope he's all right.

ahoyle

Feb 16, 2018
Hes gonna have to lose about 20 lbs. the human knee was not designed to withstand the amount of force he applies to it.

This has always been my biggest fear for him. Every time I've seen a basketball player with really unnatural quickness and explosion for their body type, injuries wreck their career. Baron Davis and Larry Johnson are the first two examples that pop in my head. The body just can't take the stress for a long period of time. One of my biggest basketball what ifs personally is what Grandmama could have been had his back injury not taken away his explosiveness.

Oh well, hope Zion is OK and somehow manages to have the body integrity of Lebron that somehow manages to stay healthy despite his size.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Nike's shoe quality has been going down more and more over the years so this happening is no surprise to me. Seems like they are focusing too much on lifestyle sneakers instead of performance sneakers.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
This has always been my biggest fear for him. Every time I've seen a basketball player with really unnatural quickness and explosion for their body type, injuries wreck their career. Baron Davis and Larry Johnson are the first two examples that pop in my head. The body just can't take the stress for a long period of time. One of my biggest basketball what ifs personally is what Grandmama could have been had his back injury not taken away his explosiveness.

Oh well, hope Zion is OK and somehow manages to have the body integrity of Lebron that somehow manages to stay healthy despite his size.
Thankfully modern training and strengthening is more prepared than it was even 10 or 15 years ago for most of these athletes. Look at what it has done for Steph Curry and his ankle issues and to keep Lebron virtually injury as he has moved into his later years.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Has he even had an MRI yet?
More speaking about the initial reports of it being a sprain. Even in the absence of an MRI, you can still glean a lot of info from the physical exam itself in terms of provocative tests and such. Obviously, he's not out of the woods yet and the MRI will be the definitive answer and can potentially show something that was not obvious on the physical exam.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
More speaking about the initial reports of it being a sprain. Even in the absence of an MRI, you can still glean a lot of info from the physical exam itself (which is probably the case in this scenario).

A sprain could be a torn ligament though.

Not trying to be combative, just premature to say one way or another.