Keziaka6591

Jan 31, 2023
I mean between there being so many games and explosion of once niche genres that got very popular it makes sense.

Also doesn't help that almost everything gets some kind of leak or something well in advanced and everyone has either their own showcase or things like Directs / State of Plays instead of the big announcements for the year / coming years happening in one or two places.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
for-you-bane.gif

I got TTYD hype in my veins rn

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Like others said, way too many games and with cacophony of nonstop marketing and trailers. i can hardly pay attention to most of it anymore.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Less retail presence for launch events/Day 1 FOMO, digital emphasis, marketing cuts, and ease of access to information without having to personally touch the game to the point where you can just watch someone play in your stead.

There's really not much of an environment left for game-related "events" and hype cycles outside of certain reveals (which were probably leaked/forecasted) and console hardware releases.

Also, things like this become less of a big deal with age across various mediums and industries outside of very specific circumstances.

But it does still happen. TotK, Baldur's Gate 3 (despite being in early access well before launch), and Helldivers 2 made waves in their release and community presence.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
I mean they're definitely not as exciting as back in the day with midnight launches. Now everyone can stay home and download the game lol.

Some games still feel like big events like Elden Ring and TOTK. But those are rare for a reason.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
New fighting game releases still feel like events to me, especially Street Fighter/Tekken/Smash since those are usually one-per-generation.

boticide24

Jun 18, 2021
Part of it is age like everyone else said. I'm a teacher and my students have been basically counting down days for Fortnite seasons, FC24, Spider-Man 2, even Suicide Squad.

But also, it's hard for anything to really capture the zeitgeist as readily these days because there's just so much of everything. I was impressed that Diablo 4 was somewhat able to do it. But people can easily just stay in their niche bubbles these days. I think it makes things like "Barbenheimer" and the Kendrick-Drake beef even more incredible when cultural events can break through and reach everyone.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
idk when TOTK came out discussion for it was nonstop and I was always checking in with people on forums/Discord/etc. for tips and tricks

but yeah this has more to do with the age of both the medium and the audience I think

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The more you experience things the less exciting they become, unless things are kept fresh somehow or greatly exceed expectations.

That's all this is.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Not all big video games are events, especially not h the yearly ones.
But highly anticipated, critically acclaimed titles are still events in my eyes. Elden Ring, Totk, Baldur's Gate 3. These are up there with any of the past legendary releases.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I don't know, I'm plenty hyped for AC Shadows and I will be over the god damned moon whenever Ghost of Tsushima 2 and the Switch 2 get revealed. If that matters, I'm well into my 30s and have played games pretty much since I was physically able to hold a controller.

Consider taking a break from gaming. The blues hit us all from time to time and that usually works for me.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
That is a factor but even younger audience is not excited. And despite getting older I should get excited for releases of some of games from my favorite series but nope, that is still rare. Games like Elden Ring caused so much talk everywhere. And before we got way more releases like that.
I listened to two teenagers talk about a new Fortnite season for an hour and a half recently.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Either I'm just older and have less time or it's that there are too many good games now (historically+current combined) to FOMO into major releases. I still have a few series I go day 1 on but for an overwhelming majority of games I want to play, I just put them on the backburner.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
If you're only talking about gaming on Era and Twitter then every upcoming game is going to be an anti-event

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
It's a combination of ingredients, a big one being gettin' older.

There's also the lack of a literal, physical event occurring (going to a midnight launch, etc). More and more games arriving day one, broken... subscription models deluding the feeling of "importance."

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Speak for yourself I was losing my mind the day before FFVII Rebirth came out

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno last year we had TotK and the wizard game which were huge (the latter being boosted by its issues too). I couldn't find a second copy of TotK in all shops I went to for instance, and my feeds were full of videos of it. It surely felt like a big event to me.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As many in this thread have also mentioned The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom felt like a huge gaming event. And I believe that whenever Nintendo announces the Succ it'll also feel like a huge one.

Jan 23, 2022
I mean I've never felt like games were "events."

But I am hyped for Sonic x Shadows and I'm interested in sparking zero. It's not like there isn't stuff to be interested in.

Apr 20, 2022
Sounds like your getting old or maybe you're looking at things your not that interested in. CoD is still always huge draw and gets massive sales, if you compare certain entries to previous ones it might look like things are different (eg MW2 2022 didn't have the sma eijpact as MW1 2019) but compared to other games they get a shit ton of publicity. I don't particularly look forward to COD but I regularly see ads on billboards, buses, TV etc whenever a new game drops. FIFA is another one, the latest game gets almost as much publicity as football itself - sometime even big players endorse the game. Fortnite also is massively popular especially every new seasonal update or collaboration, the main difference is it's not as noticeable IRL (no billboard ads for example)

Last year TOTK was massive event in gaming. It took over the industry for the summer. It was getting rave reviews, sold a fuck ton pushing switch sales to be heights in its 6th year and was all over social media. I also saw ads for it on shopping centres and buses, I've never seen that level of publicity happen for Zelda or any Nintendo games outside Mario. I was so swept by the hype I did something I haven't done for a decade: pre order a game lol.

Last edited:

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, kids get excited for the new Fortnite season nowadays.

There's too many games coming out to be excited for one in particular. At least for me

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Information age means so much shit is constantly going on at the same time.

Something happens and is big for about a week and we move onto the next thing.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It happens as you become older. Diminishing returns and all that jazz. That said, it still happens every now and then with the biggest, most exciting releases such as a new Zelda, Elden Ring, FF rebirth, Dragon's Dogma 2 etc.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
I was hyped af for certain games. Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade, Elden Ring, Forbidden West…. TLOU online. Im forgetting a lot but my body was ready.

If Sega were to make a Phantasy Star Online remake with Soulsesque qualities I'd probably have a heart attack. At this point just a remaster and current gen servers would do it.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
To everyone saying you're getting old no that is not the case, for years now it feels like games are just coming and going, like a game will have loads of buzz pre-release but after a fortnight it's effectively like crickets, it feels much rarer and unique for games to have sticking power in the public consciousness than just a decade ago

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
The death of E3 caused that feeling for me, that was when I would really get hyped.

Seeing all the trailers and gameplay live on stage really hyped me for new releases.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Last time I was 'hyped' for a game was Kingdom Hearts 3 and that game blew, so I don't let myself get that hyped for games anymore.

Add to it a greater understanding of games in general than as a kid, the constant news cycles that you get even if you try to avoid them, the fact that my backlog of games I'm interested in is always in some state of growing (meaning I'm spoiled for choice) and the fact that most games are just 'ok' (which is fine) and / or incomplete at release, there's not much reason to get hyped anymore.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Disagree, big games still got big hype around them.

The world changed a lot though, primarily the smartphones changed everything.

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
The lack of midnight releases and rise of digital has definitely affected things to an extent. Part of the hype with Modern Warfare 2, Halo 3 and GTA 4/5 was that you could potentially go weeks without even being able to buy the game.

struggler

Mar 2, 2022
It's pretty hard to get that feeling when everyone is buying videogames digitally (not me for the most part).
The only release that feel like an event was Tears of the Kingdom, there was a line to buy a copy in a specific shop.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
idk I still get hype for them every so often. FF7 Rebirth, TotK, and mainline Pokemon games usually have me excited. The MMBN collection last year was also exciting after waiting 17 years for them to do anything with that franchise.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Being marketed to in this manner is in part what has created a generation of now adult fanboys and toxic idiocy. It's ok that this has dropped off with time. Especially now that gen z/alpha, after watching their favorite streamers play either nintendo or live service pc games primarily, care way less about sony vs xbox console war garbage. Good riddance to e3.
Agreed wholeheartedly but whew you're gonna catch some heat for this statement.

mlk1227

Jan 31, 2021
Sony releases still feel like events (Ragnarok, Spider-Man), FF releases feel like events (not as hype as the air before 13 and 15 but still there), TOTK, Elden Ring, Starfield etc.

GTAVI will be a global sensation, I can already see my friends who aren't gamers begging me to play. It's still there my friend, it just may feel different from when you were a kid, but I also understand the sentiment. It doesn't help with studio closures, layoffs, acquisitions etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed wholeheartedly but whew you're gonna catch some heat for this statement.
Guaranteed, anyone who does get mad probably has a bunch of posts from the E3 reaction threads on here stating how much X thing sucked or took too long, or "where was X game that sucked", or "HYPE HYPE SEQUEL I WANTED - WAIT THAT'S OTHER GAME OR NEW IP - THIS SUCKS".

All to fight over whether latest sad dad game, Bethesda time pissing simulator, or the yearly COD is the coolest guy. Or make threads about, "am I the only person disappointed about [actually very popular and well received Square enix game, nintendo game, Sega game, capcom game, etc.]?"

I should know, I'm in those threads saying the same shit too! Don't forget, we're here forever!

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
I still get hyped for a new WoW expansion, new Path of Exile leagues, new Rockstar games, and other stuff that catches my eye.

Is it the same as when I was younger, more carefree and had fewer games immediately available to me at all times? No - but that's life and getting older.