• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which film was more disappointing?

• Suicide Squad

Votes: 212 44.9%
  • Thor: Love and Thunder

Votes: 260 55.1%

• Total voters

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I already knew how SS was going to be the moment Slipknot appeared in the trailer. So, Thor is the bigger disappointment.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Love and Thunder for sure because it was coming off Ragnarok. I loathe the Snyderverse so I had no expectations or hype for Suicide Squad.

Oct 27, 2017
I had low expectations for Suicide Squad.

I had high expectations for Thor 4.

Suicide Squad is a bad movie.

Thor 4 is an awful movie with a couple of redeeming moments. But the bad far outweighs the good.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Suicide Squad didn't look particularly good to begin with. It also came off the high heels of the BvS stinker and people poking fun of how edgy that universe was. Thor Ragnarok was a fucking classic, and is still arguably top in the top 2 best Marvel movies, so obviously expectations would be significantly higher. God was that movie such a bummer to be disappointed with. No contest here.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Thor 4 easily. I had zero expectations for Suicide Squad. I was hyped for Thor and couldn't believe they dropped the ball so hard. It is complete and utter dreck.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Thor 4 hurt so much.

Ragnarok was THAT good, so imagine my surprise/shock when L&T shit the bed that hard, lol

I couldn't believe how bad it was when watching it for the first time...

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i get the two suicide squad movies confused so thor wins (loses) easily, love and thunder was absolute trash and a huge waste of a great villain and Christian Bale

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
Thor 4.

I had no expectations for Suicide Squad, but I had high hopes for Love & Thunder. What a misfire.

Jan 20, 2024
Thor 4 easily.

After Ragnorak, expectations were high, especially since all the key people were returning. It ended up just being a mess in just about everyway. Worst of all was how they handled Gorr. Feel like there's a strong correlation in superhero movies that their success (in terms of positive reviews, not box office) is largely tied to how good the villain is. And L&T just wasted Christian Bale; I think he got less than 10 minutes of screen time total and the bulk of that was the intro.

Suicide Squad is still kind of rewatchable; mindless but there's some fun there. Thor 4 was just a waste of time.

Although a big part of that 'wasted' feeling comes from how much phase 5 seemed to be just about setting up the kid avengers.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I'm voting Suicide Squad because the Squad trailer was fucking hype, but the L&T trailer just didn't hit.

Like, I knew I wasn't going to love Love and Thunder by watching the trailer and I fucking adored both Ragnarök and the Jane Foster Mighty Thor series.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Guess Thor would be the bigger disapointment, because people were actually excited for that one.

Suicide Squad was just another incoming turd from DC.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Going in to Love and Thunder, there was hope and potential...could have been an 8, ended up a 4.

Going in to Suicide Squad, there was very little to suggest it might be good....could have been a 5, ended up a 2.

Love and Thunder was the bigger disappointment, Suicide Squad the worse movie.

goflyakite

Jul 21, 2023
I actually like the first SS, and I think TLT is not great. On top of that — TLT is coming after Ragnarok, which is probably a top 5 MCU film for me, so the more "disappointing" film to me would still be Thor either way.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people forget, but there was a point in time after SS trailer drop that people convinced themselves it might actually be a good movie. At the time people actually liked the Leto cackle because the trailer masked what an actual cluster fuck the final cut of the movie was going to be.

So yeah I have to vote for SS based on OP's actual premise.

-----

Yeah for reference this was the original trailer:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLLQK9la6Go

And the one in the OP was the redebut after it got hit with delays. So yeah, people were convinced at the time that the movie had actually been salvaged. lol

This is still an incredible trailer, damn. Shame the movie didn't live up to it.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
TLT leaned pretty far in a direction that didn't appeal to me, but I didn't have too too many issues with it. It did the Marvel Thing.

Suicide Squad felt too much like it was trying to be likable anti-hero. Like, forced too hard.

Neither was forgettable, but neither were too rememberable either.

Oct 28, 2017
I was already done with goofy Thor by the end of Avengers 4 so Love and Thunder was just more of what I didn't want.

Suicide Squad looked GREAT to me from the trailer so yeah, it being a series vignettes strung together that just happened and not a real movie hurt me and good.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Suicide Squad is one of my favorite films of all time. The trailer might be my favorite trailer ever made.
Thor 4's trailer was really bad and the movie was really bad.

uhhh Thor 4 I guess?

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. The trailer was SO well received that it contributed to the cluster fuck, because the studio decided they needed to pivot the movie to be more like the trailer after BvS bombed critically, and literally gave the trailer studio a pass at the edit.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Suicide Squad’s’ Secret Drama: Rushed Production, Competing Cuts, High Anxiety

The upheaval like that behind Warner? Bros.' DC team-up is becoming a staple of studio franchise filmmaking.

Really the only negative feedback I remember from the original trailer online was Leto's Joker, but it was such a small tease and easy to ignore after the similar negative online reaction to the casting and first looks of Ledger's Joker.

Yeah this detail's been very clearly warped over time. I think the discourse for the most part knows that the final cut is a Frankenstein between Ayer's original version and the trailer house cut but it doesn't remember as well why the trailer house cut exists in the first place

It reminds me a lot of Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite, where the backlash and trainwreck is so overwhelmingly evident that the brief little moment of time in the beginning where things were actually hype gets lost. In a way I think it's just easier for people to believe that the whole thing was a mess from start to finish, partly out of simplicity and maybe partly out of self-defense, and it doesn't take long for that altered narrative to take root. Ironically it only helps both things over time - by obscuring the actual height they start at you obscure how bad the falls actually were.

(Irony #2 is that the SS theatrical cut likely still was the best case scenario - I do fully believe the original Ayer cut would've been far worse even if it might've been more tonally consistent. Irony #3 is that Marvel movie would repeat this albeit not Marvel Studios - Fox's New Mutants.)

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
always feel weird about this

i didnt think thor 4 was all that bad

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
Thor Love and Thunder, for all its faults, is a coherent film.

Suicide Squad was torn away from the director and given to a trailer house to edit and the results was an unpaced, near-incoherent mess because editors whose skillset boils down to "make 90 seconds exciting and hype!" don't exactly have good storytelling chops.

I doubt David Ayer's cut of Suicide Squad would have been great but it would have at least been better.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Love and Thunder by far, SS looked mediocre as the release approached, while Thor seemed to be a really good time...Until it came out

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
I got some enjoyment from Suicide Squad and The Suicide Squad.

Love and Thunder was just... a massive disappointment for me. I don't understand how it even happened.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Thor disappointed me the most. They took fucking Gorr the Godbutcher, one of Thors strongest villains with a great backstory and gave him the C-tier treatment with Bale having nothing to work with. Plus the movie was just a damn joke.

Neither were good but I expected Suicide Squad to be bad so I wasn't surprised but after Ragnarok I for sure expected Thor 4 to be an opportunity to tell a special story and they didn't.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I never would've predicted Suicide Squad was going to be as much of a fucking mess as it turned out to be.

Love and Thunder had Jane Thor and Gor to play with, and on their own merits, those were still the good parts of the movie. Everything else around it was a giant bummer.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Suicide Squad had a bad director, mostly bad actors and no previous hit that would make people assume it'd be good.

Thor Love and Thunder has a great director and a mostly great cast and Ragnarok was really good.

Love & Thunder was by far the bigger disappointment.

Elry09

Nov 11, 2017
Thor 4.

It was based on an amazing story and Ragnarok was solid so i had high hopes

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
THOR 4. How is this even a questions? By milllions of miles. Coming from ragnarok (the best Thor) to the worst Thor. Worse than Thor 2 which is <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<than Thor 1

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Dude Love and Thunder is bad but not THAT bad. Relax. The first Suicide Squad is literally one of the worst movies I've ever watched in my life. Like bottom 5.

Though I suppose the answer is Thor 4 only because SS looked like shit from the start.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Having watched Thor 3 and seeing we were going to get Taika back... that shit fell off the fucking rails.

SS has systemic issues but Thor 4 was Taika cranked to 12 and it buckled under that shit. I don't know how they released that shit after how strong MCU had been in the past and same with Taika.

Dude Love and Thunder is bad but not THAT bad. Relax. The first Suicide Squad is literally one of the worst movies I've ever watched in my life. Like bottom 5.
OPs asking about disappointment, and not which movie was the worst

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I had no hope for Suicide Squad.

Thor 4, onthe other hand, looked great in trailers, but was, well… *points to tag*

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Leto's Joker was already giving red flags. Love and Thunder had good casting, excitement from said cast, and Taika was able to handle a balance comedy in a Thor movie prior to Thor 3.

I've tried multiple times to rewatch L&T and I can't. I even tried a few days ago just to have something in the background while I worked and I just found it so annoying.

It feels so extravagant of a movie that just loves smelling its own farts.

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
Suicide Squad was throwing whatever onto the wall plus Viola Davis and seeing what stuck. Thor 4 was more disappointing since they had the riches to mine like with the Jane Foster cancer heroic arc and casting Christian Bale which barely mattered in the end. Their characters' stakes were so high but Taika and Chris went ahead and filmed a completely different comedy reel instead.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I don't dislike Thor as much as most, but based on that teaser, I thought it was going to be one of the great Marvel movies.

Suicide Squad was an intriguing trailer but I was never that interested

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed Love and Thunder but didn't have any expectations for Suicide Squad (still not seen it, watched and liked THE Suicide Squad though).

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I thought the Suicide Squad trailer was the better of the two and the movie the far worse of the two so I picked that one (I very much dislike Love and Thunder, but it's more of a disappointment while SS is just plain awful)

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
People are going to answer this incorrectly because Thor 4 was a bigger disappointment, forgetting that the trailer wasn't really inducing hype.

Thor 4's trailer actually prompted a lot of skepticism and worry.

Suicide Squad's trailer actually had people excited.