Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
For the person buying the vehicle.

As long as the person driving it doesn't drive like an asshole. Can't tell you how many times I've seen the traffic report on the news, reporting a single vehicle crash on the side of the road during inclement weather. More often than not, it's a SUV or pickup. Driving a massive vehicle with 4WD does not mean that you are safe to do 70 mph in the snow/ice/pouring rain.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my Dad always had a saloon and I've pretty much always had saloon/coupe. Never had issues with kids stuff - compact buggy goes in fine, seats fold for tip runs etc.

I recently changed to a hatchback with a powered open/close and it's very nice. So I can see the appeal. But yeah we're talking about similar sized cars, just different boot types. I'd argue even SUVs like X5 / Range Rover etc are unnecessarIly large

Was your dad also a district nurse with a boot half full most of the time without the kids stuff? I agree, though - without my wife's job we wouldn't need a bigger car.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
That's okay, people who drive huge pickups and SUVs are super resourceful and they've long figured out how to get around not fitting in a parking spot...

parkingintwospaces-1.jpg
This car would get keyed so hard and so fast in France

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Where i live in Canada trucks and SUVs almost necessary in winter.

As someone that lived the first 30-odd years of their life in Saskatchewan—I think if you live in a city where the streets get plowed, you can do OK with just a car and some winter tires. I have. But, AWD/4WD can certainly be handy, as can a little extra ground clearance, as can a truck bed.

But to me the bigger issue is just the raw size of vehicles, rather than the form factor (truck vs. SUV vs. sedan, etc.). (Though increased height is its own problem in terms of safety, for pedestrians in collisions.) None of those features require a vehicle to be as big as they are today. A Ford Ranger or Dodge Dakota from the '90s had all that utility at a smaller size. A compact hatchback with AWD and a couple extra inches of ground clearance is a beast in the snow.

It becomes a vicious cycle, unfortunately—manufacturers make bigger vehicles, because who doesn't like a little more cargo space, a little more legroom? And people go buy vehicles that match their maximum possible needs—I might haul something someday, or need to transport 4 kids and 2 dogs—rather than their average/daily needs, because apparently money, and fuel economy, and physical space aren't pressuring them to do otherwise. And then that's all manufacturers make, so even people that want a smaller vehicle but still want some of those features have few options if any.

Last edited:

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
On top of everything else im not driving on most Michigan roads without a 4wd. Thats just asking for trouble.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Got to ask, any specific reason to go through all this trouble with a temp shelter? I hate scraping the frost off the windshield in the morning. I was happy to have a garage after years of parking outside in the winter.

My garage is big enough to park a car and walk around it in summer, but I have a lot of my summer patio furniture in there right now, plus a ton of other crap I need to throw out when spring comes. We have two cars, putting up the shelter allows me to park both of them there and just take off in the morning without having to scrape my windows, and snow removal is a much smaller area (what's betwen my shelter and street, plus walkways). Average snowfall here is 82.5 inches, so it adds up. Putting it up takes maybe 3 hours with help (1 hour to take off), and I can tuck away all the parts easily in the garage in the summer. It's a huge QoL upgrade and time saving.

If you want to buy me a bigger house with a two car garage and a snow clearing contract I'm all ears though.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
With the amount of theft that happens for truck wheels I wouldnt think of leaving mine outside the garage. Wither get a custom garage or dont get a humongous truck.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Trucks are useful especially when moving though.

Seems like people buy cars for something they do once every few years.

American cars are ridiculously sized.

Still, here in London there is genuinely good provision of public transport and people for some reason clog the roads. Ban cars.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
As long as the person driving it doesn't drive like an asshole. Can't tell you how many times I've seen the traffic report on the news, reporting a single vehicle crash on the side of the road during inclement weather. More often than not, it's a SUV or pickup. Driving a massive vehicle with 4WD does not mean that you are safe to do 70 mph in the snow/ice/pouring rain.

I appreciate your point; no disagreement (I made mention of something similar in my initial post).

Up until this month I drove a RWD vehicle with snow tires. I'm supremely aware that 4WD helps you start moving, not stop moving.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
My family is definitely part of the problem.

Its me, my wife and twins. We started with a Lexus RX and then when the kids were 5 we upgraded and got a GX, which 98% of the time is bigger than what we need. Its basically a personal bus for the family and very wasteful.

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan was always more scared of snow than Minnesotans. When I lived there people were always "OH NO MAH 4WD OR SNOW WILL KILL ME!"
Yeah as a Minnesotan with a small RWD vehicle the 4wd or bust talk doesn't make much sense unless you have a huge commute or you're out in the sticks. Roads are plowed and treated like clockwork here for the most part. I thought Michigan was the rustbelt because of the amount of salt they use??? Even my winter tires seem like overkill you could get by with some nice all seasons no problem. Even more so when teleworking on particularly bad days is becoming more and more common....

States should just require a commercial license or larger registration fees for these massive vehicles.

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In my small city here in Germany, we have a couple of F150 Raptors. These cars feel so out of place because they are enormous. And that's the small version of the Raptor. I don't think the sell the bigger versions here. Anyway, the size is gross in my opinion and if you aren't a construction worker, i don't get the need for this kind of car.

Chasex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No way, most of the time. I had a rural, quarter miler driveway and would regularly get through a 16 inch downfall with my Corolla.

I'm sorry but I don't believe you. 16 inches is a lot... thats a rare snowstorm or you're in a lake effect region. You would be pushing snow and there's no way a corolla is going through that idc if it has chains on the tires. As soon as you lose clearance the game is over. I grew up on a farm in MN and I had a WRX with blizzaks and got stuck in MUCH less snow than that.

For reference 16.8 inches of snow is the 6th largest snowfall event in the Twin Cities of all time. Happened in 1940.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is also why Americans have way more auto-related debt. SUVs are much more expensive. Carmakers love them since profit margins are mega high compared to smaller vehicles.

However, they're terrible for the environment due to their lack of fuel efficiency. And they are also to blame for the rise of pedestrian fatalities in the last 10 years.

www.usatoday.com

Pedestrian deaths hit 28-year high, suggesting SUV boom raises safety risks

U.S. pedestrian deaths hit a 28-year high in 2018, according to new estimates that suggest the nation's SUV boom is becoming increasingly deadly.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry but I don't believe you. 16 inches is a lot... thats a rare snowstorm or you're in a lake effect region. You would be pushing snow and there's no way a corolla is going through that idc if it has chains on the tires. As soon as you lose clearance the game is over. I grew up on a farm in MN and I had a WRX with blizzaks and got stuck in MUCH less snow than that.

For reference 16.8 inches of snow is the 6th largest snowfall event in the Twin Cities of all time. Happened in 1940.

That's fine.

www.startribune.com

Welcome back, winter! Minnesota clobbered by 16 inches of snow

The storm brought beauty, but also many accidents, including one fatal crash. Snow emergencies declared.

It is a lot and obviously an SUV is better in that situation. But as you said, 16in is still abnormal. Most winters with 6-8inch max snowfalls and your car is fine. People want an SUV for a once a 5 year snowfall is dumb - that's exactly my point.

I drive 20 minutes most days for work in a sedan with blizzaks. I haven't been stuck once in 10 years.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
American with a smaller 2 car garage here. We (I) checked dimensions and measured before we changed cars for this reason.

We have a neighbor on the corner who parks a huge Toyota Tundra at a 45 degree angle because it won't fit in his garage or in his driveway without sticking into the street, and our other neighbors have 2 big SUVs but can't fit both in their garage at the same time.

Last edited:

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My family is definitely part of the problem.

Its me, my wife and twins. We started with a Lexus RX and then when the kids were 5 we upgraded and got a GX, which 98% of the time is bigger than what we need. Its basically a personal bus for the family and very wasteful.
Friend the problem is that you have too much money to spend. I will gladly redistribute these excessive funds so you can downsize back to an RX.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Additionally, you have the "soccer moms" driving huge Suburbans and Tahoes alone, without a kid to be seen most of the time.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Ultimately I think it is one where infrastructure is a bigger problem than individual choices.

In London, yes, you are a shit if you own a big 4x4 to speed around 20mph zones. But also you shouldn't be allowed to, cars, especially ones like that should be banned for personal use (those with a clear need excluded).

In the US, cities need to be rebuilt without the car in mind. Less than 100 years ago most of the Western World was forcibly transformed for the benefit of the car. Huge transformations in infrastructure took place, huge areas of existing buildings were knocked down for the benefit of the car. We did it before, we can do it again, but as a move away from cars. We could over a decade or two massively transform how our cities look and work for the better of everyone, it's not unthinkable, we have already done it once.

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I live in canada in a super snowy area, I drive a FWD sedan and I still get by fine every year, I mean obviously SUVs are great for this case especially since the majority of them are AWD but come on now, acting like its a necessity to survive canadian winter is just dumb lol

choog

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
My home is an apartment-style condo with a reserved parking spot. The neighboring spot is for a short-term rental (Airbnb-like).
Occasionally I need to deal with this parking situation from someone who probably didn't realize what they were getting into:

(my car is on the left with the Gunhaver Cheat Commando figure in the back)

iVZYOKZ.jpg

Last edited:

Antagon

Nov 4, 2017
Trucks are useful especially when moving though.

I've moved a full-size tablet, couch, bunch of chairs and cabinets in one go with my (3 cylinder, subcompact) Renault Clio. That's what trailers are for.

I might upgrade tot a Leon st (reskinned Golf wagon)though, as it's going to be tough to fit a rest facing kid seat comfortably behind the driver. Still, more the enough space with two kids.

fakefaker

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What were they driving before? RAV4s get decent mileage, like 30 mpg I think.

Was a v6 pontiac grand am. They probably thought the rav4 would have much better fuel economy, but real world numbers usually aren't there for cuvs and suvs. They even were thinking about getting a hybrid rav4, but the cost scared them off. Oh, and this would be the crazy canadian pricing as well.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Was your dad also a district nurse with a boot half full most of the time without the kids stuff? I agree, though - without my wife's job we wouldn't need a bigger car.

oh wasn't disagreeing with your setup. Just think 'most' would be fine with a regular saloon/sedan (or even a small hatch). Some convenience going bigger and some need it (like you and Nerys ). And then a massive gulf to these 'personal buses'

Scrub Jay

Nov 28, 2017
I changed from a Honda fit to a Buick Regal. The Buick is deceptively huge. It literally is twice the size of my old car and I didn't notice until I tried to park it in my garage. This is just a Sedan too. I don't know what they're even doing to these SUVs to make them bigger and bigger, they were already a joke 20 years ago.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Sounds like my senior neighbours. Both have had their hips replaced, then bought a rav4, then started complaining about how much gas it was using.
What were they driving before? RAV4s get decent mileage, like 30 mpg I think.
Was a v6 pontiac grand am. They probably thought the rav4 would have much better fuel economy, but real world numbers usually aren't there for cuvs and suvs. They even were thinking about getting a hybrid rav4, but the cost scared them off. Oh, and this would be the crazy canadian pricing as well.
I don't know if the RAV4 specifically has problems meeting rated MPG numbers or not, but if they mostly drive in town, lot of short trips, and especially during colder months, they'll definitely get lower MPG. Also some of these small crossovers have relatively small tanks, so you end up filling more often than a large-ish sedan.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I don't know if the RAV4 specifically has problems meeting rated MPG numbers or not, but if they mostly drive in town, lot of short trips, and especially during colder months, they'll definitely get lower MPG. Also some of these small crossovers have relatively small tanks, so you end up filling more often than a large-ish sedan.

There's also the fact that driving fast can destroy your fuel economy depending on the vehicle. I've noticed people accelerate fairly quick these days because modern cars have gotten so fast. As someone who drives a older slow car, its pretty noticeable.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I have a 2018 Tacoma and my fiancee has a 2018 Rav4.. My truck barely fits into my garage. If it were any bigger, I'd have to park outside. And I have a newer/modern home.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
If you own a house, it's a pain in the ass to not have a truck/suv or at least a decent sized car.
I don't really see how this is true. I've never owned a truck and have never really needed one. If I do I can just rent one. Or even better, rent a van which has more room inside for hauling things.

Also, some people have hobbies and business that requires a truck or SUV.
Is that really a sizable percentage of buyers though? I would guess probably not.

Also, in my experience, most work trucks I see are owned by a company and people don't drive them home. I know some do, but not a lot.

Oct 27, 2017
If you own a house, it's a pain in the ass to not have a truck/suv or at least a decent sized car. Also, some people have hobbies and business that requires a truck or SUV.

I had a 2004 Honda Odyssey until it finally died late last year. It fit in the garages fine in the houses I owned. I could also remove the back seats and stuff an absurd amount of things back there for garbage dump runs and whatnot.
The large majority of people don't need gigantic vehicles even when they own a house.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really see how this is true. I've never owned a truck and have never really needed one. If I do I can just rent one. Or even better, rent a van which has more room inside for hauling things.

Is that really a sizable percentage of buyers though? I would guess probably not.

Also, in my experience, most work trucks I see are owned by a company and people don't drive them home. I know some do, but not a lot.

I've bought countless things for my house, from furniture to landscaping supplies to large items for hobbies. I couldn't imagine having to go rent a truck every time I needed to do these things. I specifically bought a truck because of those things. I used to own a Camry and not having a truck made life difficult. I guess if you have no major hobbies and buy Ikea furniture, you could get by without one. I couldn't.

I can think of at least six work trucks that are parked at homes in my neighborhood alone, and I haven't been paying attention.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I dislike trucks personally and I will never see myself buying one - but I don't see why people gotta hate on other people driving them.

I say that as a guy who drives a car that's so low that peoples regular light beams burn my retinas.

Lifted trucks tho, that's a different story.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I dislike trucks personally and I will never see myself buying one - but I don't see why people gotta hate on other people driving them.

I say that as a guy who drives a car that's so low that peoples regular light beams burn my retinas.

Lifted trucks tho, that's a different story.

I have my truck for the reasons listed above (I kayak, own dirt bikes, photography (using my truck to get to remote places)). I like my truck because it does what I need, but it's not insanely huge and gets decent MPG for being a 4x4.

I know some people that have lifted F350 Quad Cabs who never take them offroad or do anything that they actually need that truck for. That's crazy to me.