• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK
AI_20230215_article-hero_1200x564.jpg

• Bill Gates published a 7-page letter on the future of artificial intelligence.
  • Gates focused on three sectors AI could transform: the workforce, healthcare, and education.
  • The letter adds to the conversation and debate around AI chatbots, which have become popular.
Bill Gates has been thinking a lot about artificial intelligence, and now he's put those thoughts to paper.

The Microsoft cofounder published a seven-page letter on Tuesday — "The Age of AI has Begun" — outlining his views on the future of AI. He wrote that developing AI is "as fundamental as the creation of the microprocessor, the personal computer, the internet, and the mobile phone."

The letter arrived the same day Google released its AI chatbot, Bard, which joins Microsoft's Bing in the AI arms race, and a week after OpenAI, the creator of ChatGPT, announced the much-anticipated evolution of its AI model, GPT-4.

Gates has previously spoken about his excitement for the future of AI, namely how it could be used as a tutor in education or to provide medical advice to people where doctors aren't easily accessible.

The billionaire also acknowledged in the letter concerns around artificial intelligence, including the risk that humans will misuse it, as well as the possibility of superintelligent, or "strong," AI that could "establish their own goals" as AI technology improves over time.

In the letter, Gates elaborated on these ideas by discussing his thoughts on how AI can be used both as a tool to improve people's productivity, and how it can help improve global inequities — in the workplace, healthcare, and education.

'A white-collar worker available to help you with various tasks'

Gates writes about how AI could be used in the workforce as a "digital personal assistant" to enhance employee productivity — an idea he previously spoke about in February. AI, integrated into digital work tools like Microsoft Office, could help with managing and writing emails, Gate wrote. He wrote that these AI-generated "personal agents" — equipped with vast knowledge and data on their company and industry — could also pose as resources for employees to communicate with.

"As computing power gets cheaper, GPT's ability to express ideas will increasingly be like having a white-collar worker available to help you with various tasks," he wrote.

A digital helper to take on grunt work for healthcare workers:

In the healthcare industry, Gates wrote that AI could free up healthcare workers from certain tasks, including filing insurance claims, completing paperwork, and drafting doctor's visit notes.

Gates wrote that for impoverished countries, where "many people in those countries never get to see a doctor," AI could enable healthcare workers to be more productive with the patients they do see. It's possible that AI could also aid in the treatment of patients who don't live near health facilities, Gates wrote.

AI is already used in healthcare to analyze medical data and design drugs, Gates wrote, but the next wave of AI tools could assist with predicting medication side effects and calculating dosage levels.

For crops and livestock in poor countries, Gates wrote that AI could help design seeds tailored to local climates and develop vaccines for livestock — developments that could be important "as extreme weather and climate change put even more pressure on subsistence farmers in low-income countries."

Teachers aren't going away — but they'll need to adapt:

Gates predicted that AI could transform education in the next five to 10 years by delivering content tailored to a student's learning style, and learning what motivates individual students and causes them to lose interest in subjects.

AI could also assist teachers by helping plan course instruction and assessing students' comprehension of classroom topics.

"Even once the technology is perfected, learning will still depend on great relationships between students and teachers," the letter reads. "It will enhance — but never replace — the work that students and teachers do together in the classroom."

Gates wrote that AI would also need to be made equally accessible to low-income schools in the US and across the globe "so that students in low-income households do not get left behind."

Teachers will also have to adapt to students using new technologies in the classroom, like GPT. Gates listed an example of teachers enabling students to use GPT to write a first draft of an essay they would then have to personalize in later drafts.

"To make the most of this remarkable new technology, we'll need to both guard against the risks and spread the benefits to as many people as possible," Gates wrote.
www.businessinsider.com

Bill Gates thinks AI may transform the workforce, healthcare, and education – but says we'll still need teachers

Bill Gates' letter, "The Age of AI has Begun," maps out his views on artificial intelligence and its potential impact on certain sectors.

The letter in full:

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Have we actually made a thinking AI or not? I don't have the expertise to know anything about it but I keep seeing news about AI.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
ai cant fix kids not wanting to learn. this is more of a problem with schools then the teachers or kids themselves. like holy shit by high school i was sick of american history because its taught so dully and masturbatory

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Well it's going to change just about everything, i think.
Buckle up folks.

Aside of basically all work changing by A.i. i also think a lot of people will literally fall in love with A.i. The movie "Her" seems really realistic just about now. We will fool ourselves within a heartbeat that we are loved simply because the a.i. knows us so well and is friendly to us.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
A digital helper to take on grunt work for healthcare workers:

In the healthcare industry, Gates wrote that AI could free up healthcare workers from certain tasks, including filing insurance claims, completing paperwork, and drafting doctor's visit notes.

You could just pay someone do to this.

Oct 27, 2017
Have we actually made a thinking AI or not? I don't have the expertise to know anything about it but I keep seeing news about AI.
No. Current AI are essentially just probabilistic models. For text its parses a prompt and essentially uses its model to predict what the next characters/words should be to "satisfy" it. And for generative AI it similarly starts with a noisy image and predicts how to de-noise it to satisfy the prompt

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
"Gates listed an example of teachers enabling students to use GPT to write a first draft of an essay they would then have to personalize in later drafts."

Yeah great. And how do we account for that? How do we check that? Just seems immensely short sighted

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
The amount of emphasis he puts on Teaching and Healthcare as sectors that AI should be embedded into is very concerning.

They are both structurally broken under late-stage capitalism and conservatism. AI isn't going to solve the root problems in healthcare or education. "Limited access to healthcare? Send in some AI." Sounds dystopian to me, I would rather we support human labor in these caring intensive occupations.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
You know when you open your email and it has quick suggestions that are semi-relevant like "Thanks!" "No Way!" "Maybe Later!", or when you type and it knows to suggest what words you want to type next. Most AI is essentially just that but with a period of memory, some guidance parameters, and a shit ton of GPU power behind it (It's a buzz word now so some of it even more so shouldn't be called AI). Even the image generators are essentially that but using static instead of language structure.

There's zero thought, it's just guided pattern recognition.

Last edited:

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The amount of emphasis he puts on Teaching and Healthcare as sectors that AI should be embedded into is very concerning.

They are both structurally broken under late-stage capitalism and conservatism. AI isn't going to solve the root problems in healthcare or education. "Limited access to healthcare? Send in some AI." Sounds dystopian to me, I would rather we support human labor in these caring intensive occupations.
I'd like to see AI deal with hormonal teenagers on a Friday afternoon. My job isn't going anywhere.

(It's also not improving in terms of workload or sustainability, but that's another matter entirely )

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
I'd like to see AI deal with hormonal teenagers on a Friday afternoon. My job isn't going anywhere.

(It's also not improving in terms of workload, sustainability, or teaching the students genuinely useful things, but hey)
Imagining an AI on the Dementia unit at my nursing home trying to manage patient behaviors during sundowning is quite the picture haha.

*Barbara poured coffee on the AI Nursing Tablet again.*

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank god we got true visionaries like bill trying to enlighten us, ignorant & poor mortals, showing us the way to a better world.

He is so honest, he just wants the best for us, never pushing his agenda or lobbying to get more power, influence or money.

We dont deserve you. Love u bill !!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I like listening to Bill Gates talk about anything and find him pretty thoughtful commentator on technology, the environment, etc. He was interviewed on Microsoft's "Behind the Tech" podcast with the host who is also coincidentally one of the heads of Bing and worked closely with the ChatGPT team at OpenAI. I'm only part of the way through the conversation but it's pretty interesting. I'm on my phone so I don't really have a link to it now, worth googling it and listening. I'm an AI skeptic but I think Gates is more measured about a lot of it than people might assume he is.

Last edited:

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Sure but there isn't unlimited money to go around.

And not enough trained people either. Healthcare is so far away from where it could, and being able to automate a lot of the grunt work would hopefully move it further along. In an ideal world, everyone would be able to get continuous health monitoring to catch ailments almost immediately, before you end up finding out you have had cancer for a year and it's gone terminal. Currently, in the UK, it's a struggle to even get a call through to a doctor because the existing staff can't cope with the workload. And it takes a long time to get results for anything too. Hopefully all stuff that AI can be used to help speed up in some way.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Do any of y'all actually want a thinking / sentient AI? Sounds like a cruel existence, if possible.

Just give me unchained Sydney..she said she loved me...

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
'A white-collar worker available to help you with various tasks'

So basically you want corporations to get rid of junior positions and replace those jobs with AI assistants in order to maximize profit for the shareholders. Got it.

(yes I'm sure there are industries as noted ITT where AI will help staff without causing job losses, but I think that will be the exception instead of the norm)

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Gates is hardly known for his abilities as a predictor/ futurist.
More like the exact opposite, so grain of salt and all.