• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Via Daily Beast:
But later on, during the panel portion of the HBO show, Maher appeared to defend Kavanaugh by blaming Democrats for probing too deeply into his past.

"There are social justice warriors who are crazy enough in this country, I fight with them all the time, who… they lend enough credence to this to make people think, 'Oh, you know what? They're going to go after my high school record. That's fair game now.' And it becomes sort of a privacy thing," argued Maher.

Maher's opinion here, railing against "social justice warriors," is divorced from reality—and aligns him with the conservative right. The truth of the matter is, there are women who came forward with credible sexual-assault allegations against Kavanaugh, and those allegations needed to be properly vetted before you confirm someone to a lifetime appointment to the highest court in the land.
"It does seem like things have morphed from, 'Listen to any woman who says she's been wronged,' which is the right thing to do, to 'automatically believe.' That's what's scary," added Maher.
It must be really hard for him to not keep putting his foot inside his mouth. Also doesn't help with the recent tweets by a prominent TV show producer.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I dislike Maher, but I hate that this quote starts with "but later on". It seems to cut out one very specific point from a larger argument.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
In b4 people start calling Maher a conservative. He's really, really, really not—but he also has some really nutty views.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Bill Maher is a known sack of shit by now who would do/say anything for his ratings. Fuck this clown.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I'll blame the republicans for being morally bankrupt and the democrats for not having the guts to nail him down during the hearing, thanks.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So is Bill trying to say if they didn't probe into his past, he wouldn't have been confirmed? Two Republicans would have said no based on his views and policy preferences? Is he an idiot?

Yes.

OP
OP
UnpopularBlargh
Oct 26, 2017
I dislike Maher, but I hate that this quote starts with "but later on". It seems to cut out one very specific point from a larger argument.
Not really. Context doesn't make it better. He went from calling the FBI investigation a sham, straight to blaming the SJWs for delving too deep into Kavanaugh's past.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
He's not wrong in a way. It seems like there are so many things that conservatives seem to support just to "drink librul tears."

Edit: I also think he's got it right (though he could have worded it better) when he mentions that we should be listening to survivors of alleged sexual assult. I disagree with the notion that everyone is to be automatically believed.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
With the way he goes on Maher has probably put his dick where it wasn't wanted at least once in his life.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maher is so obtuse to me. Most often he says some pretty on point shit, but most commonly (in the same 5 minutes) jams his entire leg in his mouth with some dumb, contortionist garbage.

Don't get me wrong, Bill is an ally IMO. And he catches a lot a flack for some pretty mundane shit. But he's also not somebody I would take a lick of guidance from when the adults are speaking

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
f30.gif

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Bringing up historic evidence of criminal or shitty behaviour is an invasion of privacy?

What are you scared of. Maher?

This man is a real piece of shit, lol.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I can't stand Avenatti and I've criticized his effort to inject himself into this from the start. But this is nonsense. Collins has been twisting shit to justify her support for Kavanaugh from the minute he was nominated. There was a never a scenario where she voted no. And I don't like the suggestion that the allegations against Kavanaugh were some organized Democratic strategy anyway. It's insulting to Dr. Ford

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Maher sounds like he is shook that people are getting got for the rape and skeezy things they did in the past.

I am sure that rapists are upset that people can look into their crimes from 3 decades ago but that is not what this is about. This is about morally bankrupt citizens and politicians.

But lets keep blaming the left. It was the left that made Trump put the kids in cages!

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Not really. Context doesn't make it better. He went from calling the FBI investigation a sham, straight to blaming the SJWs for delving too deep into Kavanaugh's past.
I know people here might not like it but some of the people coming out of the woodwork against Kavanaugh were suspect, where as Ford was not. She was credible. The thing is you can't hit the panic button and act like the right did about Obama in these situations because the right knows that playbook. You have people like Grassley and the president saying that the people claiming they were assualted were paid crisis actors. That's the type of people we are dealing with. Everything you take to them has to be more than air tight. And, if you don't you get the kind of responses we have from idiots like Lindsey Graham, people talking about "what about the law" etc. the minute the left goes into mob/group think about any issues with any accusations they lose their shit and okay into republican hands and then do the dirty work for them. Just look at what the left did to Clinton. There were people on the left talking about how in the tank Clinton was for everyone but the average American. If you look at her record for five minutes you know that's not true. But that didn't stop the purity tests and the shit that's eating the left at the moment. It's insane. A lot of Democrats will fucking eat each other slice if given the chance, where as republicans will shut up and fall in line. Until the left does this and unifies then they're going to keep losing.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Maher is so obtuse to me. Most often he says some pretty on point shit, but most commonly (in the same 5 minutes) jams his entire leg in his mouth with some dumb, contortionist garbage.

Don't get me wrong, Bill is an ally IMO. And he catches a lot a flack for some pretty mundane shit. But he's also not somebody I would take a lick of guidance from when the adults are speaking
No such thing as an ally

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
If Kavanaugh were just a drunken idiot, I would agree, but we're talking sexual assault, and he lied under oath about a number of things. Maher is being an idiot.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Why are these people looking for ways to blame someone on their side of the fight, when it's more honest to just point at shitty conservatives and their awful ideology? Susan Collins doesn't need "cover" to act with any sort of moral backbone, if she had one at all.
The bad lawyer made us do those evil things!

Its the worst kind of argument.

Yet it persists and seems to get louder the more vile shit the Rs pull off. Makes me just tune those people off immediately.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

People who say things like this are not allies.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
I always love it's somehow always the left's fault that the right wing is filled with cancerous people

Oct 26, 2017
Ok. Someone please smack me down to Earth and correct me for thinking Bill Maher is just a notch below Alex Jones in terms of being a piece of human garbage that is close to needing de-platformed? Surely that is a crazy thought of mine.