• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
2014 wasn't even a tough year. Shovel Knight, South Park, Mario Katy 8, Forza Horizon 2, Wolfenstein, Bayonetta 2, Smash 4, Far Cry 4, Sunset Overdrive, Donkey Kong County: TF, etc. I will never understand the "2014 was bad" narrative.
And Alien Isolation, one of the best horror games of all time.
I agree, but I guess people push that narrative because most outlets chose to ignore those gems and give Inquisition or SoM GOTY.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Loved DA:I last truly awesome Bioware game for me, like it more than ME3. God I hope they pull it together, nobody makes games like theirs.

In my memory for AAA, character creator, heavy focus on character stories, romance, LGBT content. Literally only been Alpha Protocol and Rise of the Argonauts that are close, and they even had no LGBT content.

And the only game even on the horizon is Cyberpunk which has all my hopes and dreams invested at this point.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
???

Chaos Theory remains their highest rated game sitting at a 94. Rightfully fuckin' so, this is one of the best games ever made and one of my personal favourites. Clint Hocking is a legend and needs to come back to directing Splinter Cell 7.

3W9FHop.png

The Designer Notes interview with Clint Hocking is great and you should listen to it if you haven't. He tells some genuinely great stories about working on the Splinter Cell series (he was also a part of the SC1 dev team).

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Mass effect andromeda is a much better game than metacritic score says.

Conversely, Mass Effect 3 is a much worse game than what its Metacritic score says.

2014 wasn't even a tough year. Shovel Knight, South Park, Mario Katy 8, Forza Horizon 2, Wolfenstein, Bayonetta 2, Smash 4, Far Cry 4, Sunset Overdrive, Donkey Kong County: TF, etc. I will never understand the "2014 was bad" narrative.

2014 was the year of the Hidden Gem and Nintendo. A lot of "not-AAAAAAAAA" games like DKC, SSO, Bayo 2, and Wolfy got looked over because they weren't big enough to garner sweeping industry praise.

And there was Nintendo who was killing it in 2014, but even their massive titles like MK and Smash got somewhat overlooked because the Wii U was such a failure.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
They got unpopular with ME 3 and like it or not in this age of blog site reviews popularity matters.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Yeah, here's how a 93 MC video game deals with sidequests:

10c5ce2f437aeae4f265d0ae6c074048.jpg

Aside from the horrible endings, there was a total disregard of some characters and previous choices, change of story theme, plot inconsistencies, stupid plot points and plot armored characters that made ME3 much much worse than ME2 (main M2 plot was truly awful with good characters).
Yet somehow "critics" rated ME3 much more than it deserved.
The very same game that almost fatally wounded it's franchise.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft Montreal has not released a 90+ game since Assassin creed 2 in 2009

Bethesda has not released a 90+ game since Skyrim in 2011

Square Enix has not released a 90+ game since Final Fantasy XII since 2006

Eidos Montreal has not released a 90+ game since Deus Ex Human Revolution in 2011

And i can add more.
The BioWare circlejerk has to end

Honestly this. It's honestly getting ridiculous.

Also if there's something I've come to realize is that the people who hate on Inquisition are such a minority of people. It's still one of Bioware's best selling games.

ERA has a tendency to think: "Well people here thought it was bad, therefore everyone thought it was bad." Which so rarely meets with the rest of the community.

After all the people who hate a game are far more likely to comment and go on about how much they hated something than someone who actually likes it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
So let them worry about that if there's money involved.
Era's obsession with metacritic is stupid, though. And we all know it's not because they want to see their fave developers get nice bonuses. 90% of people obsessed with metascore don't really care about that.

It's not an Era thing at all. People care about the critical reception of games, movies, tv series, etc... I don't see a problem with the fact itself.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
3 always felt like it went less with the RPG mechanics, but that might've just been due to the dialog choices taking a massive hit compared to 1 and 2 and me applying that to the whole experience.

ME2 certainly have better RPG (and combat) mechanics than ME3, and ME1 as well. Although ME3 weapon customization is improved, which can make for a more personalized experience.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Just remember they said "favorite". The didn't go out of their way to say the "best one ever". I respect people who word their opinions in this way cause it feels less game warring.
I know and I'm being unfair but I have eo strong feelings when it comes to Mass Effect. It's my favorite franchise of all time.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Divinity: Original Sin came out in 2014 and was one of the best RPGs of the decade. Of course, these award shows are console-centric tripe so I'm guessing none of the voters/reviewers had even played it. Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun: Dragonfall also came out in 2014. There was plenty of high-quality RPG competition if you actually play more than just big-budget console games.
2014 actually had tons of good games. Guilty Gear Xrd, Bayonetta 2, Shovel Knight, Velocity 2x. Depth however isn't rewarded enough. So they gassed up an absolute slog pause n play game in a year with the most inventive turn based combat we have had in ages, or a half baked meta game attached to trash ass buttman combat.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Yeah, here's how a 93 MC video game deals with sidequests:

10c5ce2f437aeae4f265d0ae6c074048.jpg

Aside from the horrible endings, there was a total disregard of some characters and previous choices, change of story theme, plot inconsistencies, stupid plot points and plot armored characters that made ME3 much much worse than ME2 (main M2 plot was truly awful with good characters).
Yet somehow "critics" rated ME3 much more than it deserved.
The very same game that almost fatally wounded it's franchise.

I think that's a bit disingenuous. These fetch quests in ME3 were not a substitute for side quests, I think some people might have this impression because the line of primary and secundary quests are quite blurred in ME3 (and ME2 too for that matter). How exactly do we definite a side quest? If it's any mission that is not necessary to finish the game, then ME3 has excellent ones. Like the Ardat-Yakshi Monastery and Grissom Academy. If we definite as missions that are not connected with the main plost then we should say that ME3 doesn't have them, as basically everything you do feels more or less connected with the war.

About your other points I think they are relevant. ME3 does have some sins there, particuarly with previous choices and how they impacted the game. ME3 is not a perfect game, obviously, but I think if it succeeded in everything it should have then we would be talking about one of the greatest games ever created, so even if it fails in some of these it still is an excellent game.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They haven't released a good game since Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Mass Effect 2, in the context of what Mass Effect is, wasn't good and is a pointless story in the grand scheme of what the actual story is about.

Troublematic

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've pretty much resigned myself to not be enthusiastic about any new Bioware title at this point. It's clear from their recent track record that ever since around DA2, ME2 times the games have gotten progressively worse. At this point it's hard to expect DA4 to reach that 90+ level even if they improve on Inquisition, which isn't a hard task. Where they may have improved in making fluid combat systems and multiplayer they've lost it everywhere else.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I think that's a bit disingenuous. These fetch quests in ME3 were not a substitute for side quests, I think some people might have this impression because the line of primary and secundary quests are quite blurred in ME3 (and ME2 too for that matter). How exactly do we definite a side quest? If it's any mission that is not necessary to finish the game, then ME3 has excellent ones. Like the Ardat-Yakshi Monastery and Grissom Academy. If we definite as missions that are not connected with the main plost then we should say that ME3 doesn't have them, as basically everything you do feels more or less connected with the war.

About your other points I think they are relevant. ME3 does have some sins there, particuarly with previous choices and how they impacted the game. ME3 is not a perfect game, obviously, but I think if it succeeded in everything it should have then we would be talking about one of the greatest games ever created, so even if it fails in some of these it still is an excellent game.

No matter how you paint it, it was a terrible quest design for a game that had so many problems so it does not deserve to be that highly rated.
I really can't agree with ME3 of thematic and story issues being an excellent game (it had excellent MP but that is about it) but I want you to believe me in one thing: I wanted this game to be great, a sublime sent off to my Shepard, the closing of his story and the beginning of a future full of wondrous possibilities for the franchise. And i think you wanted that too, any Bioware/ME fan wanted this.

And look us now where we are at.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
No matter how you paint it, it was a terrible quest design for a game that had so many problems so it does not deserve to be that highly rated.

It was an inoffensive quest design. Easily ignored if you wanted and that demanded no extra time put into the game if you already wanted to explore all the solar systems.

And it's definitely not ME3's fault we are where we are. The future of Mass Effect was never in question after its release. We got many major DLCs and we knew a sequel was being developed from very early on. If Andromeda's team made all the wrong decisions it's their fault.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
It was an inoffensive quest design. Easily ignored if you wanted and that demanded no extra time put into the game if you already wanted to explore all the solar systems.

And it's definitely not ME3's fault we are where we are. The future of Mass Effect was never in question after its release. We got many major DLCs and we knew a sequel was being developed from very early on. If Andromeda's team made all the wrong decisions it's their fault.

I strongly disagree with your post but there is no point in arguing for this anymore.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would argue DA:I is not a good game either

It had the benefit of basically being one of the early gen games with zero competition at release that year. It was a slag of a game with a lot of annoying shit

astro

Oct 25, 2017
ME3 is such a conflicting game, great gameplay (especially the MP co-op), but terrible story and the WORST lootboxes ever seen.

DA:I was GOTY all over the place. As much as I don't like that game, Bioware have been doing fine from a consumer perspective.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
They haven't released a good game since Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Mass Effect 2, in the context of what Mass Effect is, wasn't good and is a pointless story in the grand scheme of what the actual story is about.

I don't agree with this at all but if that's your opinion, I respectfully disagree.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Anthem looks terrible but I just want to say that scores are often not a very good indicator of if a game is worthy of purchase for you as an individual.

I often read them to see how a game controls, if it has a lot of bugs, if it has micro transactions etc but then I watch YouTube videos to see if I would enjoy the gameplay or story before I make a purchase.

Games are so big these days that even if you watch 30 mins or an hour of gameplay on YouTube you can get a good feel for if you will like it or not and still not have massive spoilers.

One persons 90+ is another persons 60 for example, it's all personal taste.

I think reviews commenting on the quality of a story for example shouldn't factor into a score because that's personal opinion, one person may hate the story and another may love it.

So TLDR, I just read to see if games have lots of bugs/micros and then watch gameplay for 30 mins to an hour to see if it's something I would enjoy, everything else is all personal opinion.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Bioware had the unique fortune of being one of the only RPG centric development studios making AAA games for consoles along with Bethesda. They get a crazy amount of leeway. It was frustrating to see things get worse or a lack of improvements and scores either staying the same or getting higher. Now that they've both got undeniably shitty games to their names with Andromeda and FO76, I hope the spell is finally broken for good.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
This just not true. ME3 gunplay and power usage is a huge step up. It's why multiplayer was so good

I think you're half right. ME3's combat worked wonders in MP, but in single player? No really. One of the criticism about Anthem is that weapons become useless in harder difficulties, and that's true for ME3 as well. In ME2 weapons and powers had a much better synergy. Not to mention a few other aspects of combat, like how fast you died in ME3 and that awful slowmo when your shield broke (not present in mp).

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Ahh i remember the early days, Casey Hudson saying ME3 is a perfect entry for newcomers, Then having the gall to let ME3 be played in action mode if you wanna skip the story lol

Looking back they made some god awful decisions in ME3.