• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
This has just occurred to me, but the last BioWare game to set comfortably above a 90 Metacritic score is Mass Effect 3. Even Dragon Age: Inquisition with its GOTY awards and nominations never quite managed to go above ~85. Andromeda, meanwhile, is at 76 (at least for XBO) while Anthem is currently hovering around the low 60's. They have basically been on a downward trajectory since ME3.

For reference:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/mass-effect-3
https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/dragon-age-inquisition
https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/mass-effect-andromeda
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/anthem (PC version is the only one with a score so far)

If we were to count the average across all platforms, then you could say Mass Effect 2 was the last game that went well above 90.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Meh, I really don't care about scores. Sometimes they're justified but most of the time they will not matter if I like a game or not.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Andromeda was made by a different studio. So all you're saying is that Edmonton has only managed a GOTY since Mass Effect 3. Oh darn.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, it's not like ME3 was a long time ago.

It was just 7 years ago, which in AAA development is not that big of a gap.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a good look for Bioware. In fact.. it makes me a bit worried for a Mass Effect sequel now. I thought Andromeda was an anomaly, cringe story and cast, reeks of reworking systems during the making of the game, but I've been told Anthem has the same feeling regarding story, characters and the general systems in the game.

What happened? Have too many people that were integral to making a great game left Bioware? Or is it EA's corporate board meddling creating a checklist of how games should be made for them?
I always thought EA let Bioware and Dice go a bit wild regarding their freedom to make whatever they want, but after BF V and Anthem, I dont know what to say. Or.. who's to blame.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Not every game needs to be 90+ mate. Plenty of great games have a pretty shit Metascore so I don't think it's worth putting much stock in em. Anthem looks bad though. Also, as I said Metascores don't mean shit, but I like how you put the lower scoring Xbox version of Inquisition with less reviews in the OP as opposed to the PS4 version which is sitting on a 89. That's cheeky of you OP.

UxWYTtu.png

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, okay? They released three games since then one of which (DA:I) is still widely considered excellent.

Like it sucks that Anthem sucks but is there a point to this?

Bdub79

Oct 25, 2017
Well to be fair and in my opinion Anthem could turn out to be the game of the milinium in a year. We haven't seen a GaaS game complete at release yet, and probably wont ever.

Edit: I've not played Anthem, just comparing to the Destinies and Division.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
90+ scores aren't everything.

Insomniac Games hasn't released a 90+ Metacritic game since 2004, and yet I think many of us would agree they're one of the best developers on the planet.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, okay? They released three games since then one of which (DA:I) is still widely considered excellent.

Like it sucks that Anthem sucks but is there a point to this?
DA:I has soured for many, including myself.

I love the epilogue and the twists near the end plus the characters. But trying to replay it and having to deal with those butt-tasting loading times plus these MMO-lite missions in big maps? Nah I don't want that.

I want more DAO.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
It won GOTY at the Game Awards that year, but then again, there was no competition in the RPG space.

Divinity: Original Sin came out in 2014 and was one of the best RPGs of the decade. Of course, these award shows are console-centric tripe so I'm guessing none of the voters/reviewers had even played it. Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun: Dragonfall also came out in 2014. There was plenty of high-quality RPG competition if you actually play more than just big-budget console games.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
ME3 doesn't deserve a higher score than DA:I, IMO.

That said, who cares? Review scores over time have been so variable and safe as to be virtually meaningless. They detract and distract from actual discourse about games.

OP
OP
Fiery Phoenix

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Divinity: Original Sin came out in 2014 and was one of the best RPGs of the decade. Of course, these award shows are console-centric tripe so I'm guessing none of the voters/reviewers had even played it. Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun: Dragonfall also came out in 2014. There was plenty of high-quality RPG competition if you actually play more than just big-budget console games.
That's definitely true. Unfortunately, like you said, awards tend to be console-centric.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, not to downplay the failures of Anthem and Andromeda, but you realize a 90% aggregate score is really high? Like, it's only 10 points down from "perfection". Even with an experienced, AAA team, that kind of target is very hard...

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I feel like this obsession with Metacritic is unhealthy and terrible for the industry long term.

How did you enjoy games before it if there was no one to tell you whether you should enjoy a game or not?

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Review score trends have changed fairly significantly in the past 7 years. I would say that ME3 is one of the games that helped the push for more less hyperbolic review scores in game scores

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Pet peeve of mine: don't link to the Metacritic page of the console with fewer reviews to prove a point. Games are almost always reviewed on the same console. It's deceitful to link to the one with fewer reviews.

Ubisoft has not released a game with 90+ metacritic....EVER.

Rayman Legends
The original Splinter Cell trilogy
Assassin's Creed II
PoP: The Sands of Time
Far Cry 3

Last edited:

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
2014 and 15 were the absolute worst years gaming has ever had (at least as long as I've been alive). I played like 3 console games during that period maybe.

Luckily gaming isn't limited to consoles. Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun: Dragonfall all come out on PC in 2014 and were better RPGs than DA:I.

Even if you only play AAA console games, these also came out in 2014:
Shadow of Mordor
Alien: Isolation
Evil Within
Dark Souls 2
Destiny
Watch_Dogs
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Far Cry 4
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Sunset Overdrive
Infamous: Second son
Titanfall
Assassin's Creed: Unity
Bayonetta 2
Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros.
Forza Horizon 2

You must have very limited tastes if you thought 2014 was one of the worst years in gaming history.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Ubisoft has not released a game with 90+ metacritic....EVER.
???

Chaos Theory remains their highest rated game sitting at a 94. Rightfully fuckin' so, this is one of the best games ever made and one of my personal favourites. Clint Hocking is a legend and needs to come back to directing Splinter Cell 7.

3W9FHop.png