AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I reiterate:

people who didn't watch the movie because of the name are fucking idiots.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How are they going to be able to work out the mess when they release the next Suicide Squad and they call it "Suicide Squad" again.

might as well call it "Suicide Squad but waaaaaay better."

Oct 29, 2017
I reiterate:

people who didn't watch the movie because of the name are fucking idiots.
I mean they're not idiots, they just don't know. A very small percentage of people spend their time anywhere like Era and if they've not seen the film advertised, they won't know.

It's why when you're making a Harley Quinn movie, you give it her name.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It would if he didn't get the whole cast minus will Smith and jaret Leto back.

They could still ignore everything before it and start from this point, providing it turns out really good. I know that's not what the plan is, but it could have been a good place to start fresh.

It's a shame they have taken so long to make a Flash movie, because they could have reset the universe with that movie, if done right.

Oct 30, 2017
The marketing for this movie has been completely awful. Can't say I even really enjoyed it when I saw it the other day. It was just there? It's ok I guess? But HQ has been in two movies and I'm already sick of the character.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
The name is part of the problem but really for me, the trailers didn't sell me on it at all and I would guess that goes for a lot of people, the name alone doesn't do that but I get that Harley Quinn is more known so might move the needle a bit. My other off putting problem is they didn't just reimagine the whole thing, why root even a toe in Suicide Squad. Should have been a complete make over, Harley herself should not have had any visible relation to Suicide Squad.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds to me like they don't even know about the movie
I mean they're not idiots, they just don't know. A very small percentage of people spend their time anywhere like Era and if they've not seen the film advertised, they won't know.

It's why when you're making a Harley Quinn movie, you give it her name.
I'm not talking about the people who don't know about the movie; I'm talking about people who know about it and were turned off by its title.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Damn, they just realised that name would be search engine averse?

That movie has got James Gunn clout and creativity smeared all over it. It'll be fine.

The shorter titles were made to be gender neutral. The Princess and the Frog wasn't exactly a title that guys wanted to see back in 2009, so Disney Animation vowed to never have that scenario be repeated again.

yep

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Has anything like that happened before?
Name change while movie is still in cinema?
What about the current posters?

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Birds of prey is a dumb name but the bigger problem is that only comics nerds and pre-teen girls who shop at hot topic think Harley Quinn is good. Everyone else finds the character irritating.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
And Raiders of the Lost Ark is now Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Ghostbuster (2016) is now Ghostbusters: Answer The Call.

I never liked the original title, even if it could be anod to 1970s Italian comedies...?

MV5BMjlhNmM2OTItMjFkNy00ZWFkLWJhOWMtODExNWEwMzk3NmI5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ3Njg3MQ@@._V1_.jpg

15565.jpg

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Harley is just a big seller. I always found the character a try hard in her current iteration. She was better when she had the full costume on instead of this edgelady Hot Topic customer with pink and blue hair.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds to me like they don't even know about the movie
It's almost like general audience don't pay that much attention to whatever coming out and it's almost movie titles don't generally play cute with their title (i like the title but it's dumb marketing)
They're not changing the name because people don't like it, they're changing the name because it's not clear what the movie is, which is why you got the two replies you did to your initial post.
XForce and( the Fantastic emancipation of Deadpool )

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Birds of prey is a dumb name but the bigger problem is that only comics nerds and pre-teen girls who shop at hot topic think Harley Quinn is good. Everyone else finds the character irritating.

Unless she is wearing hot pants etc. then wow, got to see this film. That's not thinking very highly of people but I can't help thinking that's what got people to watch Suicide Squad and made Harley a mega costume hit that year. Sad but true?

Oct 27, 2017
prior to release it was All You Need Is Kill

then in theatres it was Edge of Tomorrow

then for the home release it was Live Die Repeat: Edge Of Tomorrow
I don't think that's the same thing. All You Need is Kill is just the name of the light novel it was adapted from. I don't think the adaptation was ever originally called that

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
And none of the corporate know it alls. With all their data and trending information making dumbaas decisions will be held responsible for the failure. I hope wonderwoman does well just to show no it's you that fucked up a print money franchise.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's the same thing. All You Need is Kill is just the name of the light novel it was adapted from. I don't think the adaptation was ever originally called that

The movie was definitely All You Need Is Kill at one point

variety.com

Tom Cruise Thriller ‘All You Need Is Kill’ Changes to ‘Edge of Tomorrow,’ Gets Comic-Con Push

Warner Bros. has changed the name of the Tom Cruise sci-fi thriller “All You Need Is Kill” to “Edge of Tomorrow.” Studio also revealed plans to promote the film at Comic-Con this week. Doug Liman directed the film that co-stars Emily Blunt. WB will still release the film, a co-production with...

Scuttlefluff

Oct 28, 2017
I've noticed plenty of students around me IRL are actually fans of Harley/Joker/Suicide Squad/DC and do not know what this movie is. It failed to reach people big on a marketing level, whether it's the name, timing, social media presence or what. The name change can only help it IMO.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The shorter titles were made to be gender neutral. The Princess and the Frog wasn't exactly a title that guys wanted to see back in 2009, so Disney Animation vowed to never have that scenario be repeated again.

Except we are getting Raya and The Last Dragon later this year.

Unless that film is getting renamed to Raya at some point.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Except we are getting Raya and The Last Dragon later this year.

Unless that film is getting renamed to Raya at some point.
It less shorter title and more not to sound too much like a princess movie even if tangled and frozen are one

"...and the last dragon" doesn't sound like a princess movie imo

Yes people are dumb

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think Harley is just a big seller. I always found the character a try hard in her current iteration. She was better when she had the full costume on instead of this edgelady Hot Topic customer with pink and blue hair.
But she IS a big seller. At one point, DC revealed she sold more merch than almost any other character but Batman and Superman a few years back, and her comic was outselling Wonder Woman and Superman awhile back. She's now rightly considered DC's "fourth pillar" alongside Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman.

I think that's why so much of this is bad marketing. Like, if you had a Batman movie and called it "The Outsiders, and the Grim and Gritty Detective Story of Batman" you wouldn't have nearly as much interest as "Batman and the Outsiders".

Harley Quinn is big, but WB really didn't know how to leverage her. The fact that she also IS big with teenage girls yet they made the film R-rated also cut them off at the knees.

Last edited:

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DC's edginess bit them in the ass it seems. It was a decent movie but you want to sell Harley Quinn leading a group of females you make it where every girl no matter the age can see it.

At least it wasn't like the rumored first test screening that would have made it bomb even more

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
At least it wasn't like the rumored first test screening that would have made it bomb even more

What's the test-screening rumor?

Maybe I just haven't been paying close attention in the past, but there's a weird obsession with defending this movie and its performance on Twitter right now. People are almost belligerent about it. It didn't do great. It's not a condemnation of the movie or it's content, I don't get why people are taking it so personally.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It did kind of blow my mind that nobody in production took issue with their UK ad spot not showing the title long enough to actually read the whole thing. It took multiple goes and even then I mistook fantabolous for fantastic and completely missed emancipation of one.

Hell even how I was misreading the title was an upgrade though.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
What's the test-screening rumor?

Maybe I just haven't been paying close attention in the past, but there's a weird obsession with defending this movie and its performance on Twitter right now. People are almost belligerent about it. It didn't do great. It's not a condemnation of the movie or it's content, I don't get why people are taking it so personally.
According to Deadline
deadline.com

How ‘Birds Of Prey’ Went Astray With $33M+ Opening – Sunday Final

Warner Bros' DC is hitting a pothole in the road with Birds of Prey, which is on its way to a $33.8 million domestic opening.
I hear the first cut tested really poorly, and that DC film boss Walter Hamada got Birds of Prey into shape of being the critically praised film that it is. Reshoots were needed based off the first testing.