• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
i remember the good old days, when money was just a giant rock with a hole in the middle

yap2-8451313d0e86f96a838b2ffc48b42bb5f633f29b-s900-c85.jpg

Nice stealth brag post, pupper.

Be careful someone doesn't come bye with a team of twelve oxen and a cart to pick your pocket.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
Gold was worth a lot a long time ago even before the modern age? If some crisis took us a way back like worse than Great Depression etc

Ok let's just say hypothetically we had a global power outage. We can't trade over computers and whatnot again. Why wouldn't we just use dollars for trade like people did 100 years ago? Unlike gold dollars are available in vast quantity and are simple to make once people figured out how to print mechanically again. Right now I think most gold is in bullion block form and would have to be melted down to coins again. So it's not as valuable in a situation like this.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ok let's just say hypothetically we had a global power outage. We can't trade over computers and whatnot again. Why wouldn't we just use dollars for trade like people did 100 years ago? Unlike gold dollars are available in vast quantity and are simple to make once people figured out how to print mechanically again. Right now I think most gold is in bullion block form and would have to be melted down to coins again. So it's not as valuable in a situation like this.
Maybe they would keep using dollars idk
I know they wouldn't be using digital currency though

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They wouldnt really be using gold either, so...
Most likely dollars since more people have it, but gold would probably increase in value a lot and the few people that have gold would have more buying power than the people with only dollars imo

Either way, digital would be worth 0

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact OP: things have value because people happen to find worth in it for any number of cultural, biological, or other sociological factors, and scarcity is a useless quality without said value.

Everyone's just going to repeat this over and over again until you get it.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
Most likely dollars since more people have it, but gold would probably increase in value a lot and the few people that have gold would have more buying power than the people with only dollars imo

Gold doesn't have anymore value as Bitcoin. These things have value as currency because we say they have value. If society collapsed or something like that people wouldn't start using gold again because not everyone has it. There's a reason Fallout has bottle caps as currency, they were everywhere and pretty much worthless pre fallout. Post fallout something like that is useful for trade because everyone already has some bottlecaps.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Why exactly do you think gold would rise in value?

Gold is used in quite a few industries so would it really hold as much value as it does now without those industries?

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why exactly do you think gold would rise in value?

Gold is used in quite a few industries so would it really hold as much value as it does now without those industries?
Because gold has a 2000 year history and has always been worth something since discovered, maybe it wouldn't, just imo it would based on history

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
This reminds me of those late night infomercials. Invest now in gold, it's always worth something

Oct 27, 2017
Well if it's expensive to make then it still has value, how much would cost the creators of bitcoin to make more bitcoin? 0
It actually costs a lot more than zero. You need a rig capable of doing the algorithm plus the time and energy consumption of that rig/rigs/cluster built just for mining.

I've never done it myself so I have no idea how it's actually done, but it ain't cheap.