AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
Being able to play Spotify natively on the PS4 while playing and having it interface perfectly with the mobile app so you can control playback from your phone and not have to fiddle with typing using the gamepad.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Share Play on PS4. It's actually crazy that a friend can take control of any of my games with relative ease and either help me out or simply try the game over the network.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Understandable seeing as Switch games need to still work entirely without the touchscreen in order to support docked mode.
Nah, it's not an either or thing. Supporting touchscreen and buttons at the same time is basic stuff. Docked players aren't missing out on anything when all I'm asking for is some dang menu button support

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I remember quite a few people were saying Horizon should have gyro aim because it makes a lot of sense for that game. There is no lack of demand, just lack of devs implementing it. I think a bigger issue is that the Xbox doesn't have a gyro so devs are reluctant to implement a feature that works only on some of the consoles.

I really hope MS throws in a gyro for next gen Xbox so we can get rid of this stupidity. Gyro aim is wonderful and should be a standard feature in every game involving any kind of aiming.

I remember when the joy cons were announced some people groaned at the return of motion controls. I think motion in general has a stigma against it because of elitism thanks to the more casual focused Wii or the amount of badly implemented controls in shovelware.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
SharePlay on PS4.

You can play a game with a friend that doesn't own it and you can pass the controller to them virtually. You can also play co-op games through this as well by passing them a "player 2" controller.

Insanely underutilized. I helped my friend beat the Valkyrie Queen in God of War this way. He was stuck, I showed him how to turn on SharePlay and he passed me the controller and I beat her for him.

He lives on the east coast, I'm on the west. And passing controllers was almost as easy as handing it over in person.

Absolutely insane.

I had varying success with it. Input lag made it difficult to play on the long term but my friends used it to help me get past level boundaries and kill zones in Destiny. (I remember only being able to log in intermittently while they were leagues beyond me. After a certain point I just stopped doing damage to the enemies during raids with them.)

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I remember when the joy cons were announced some people groaned at the return of motion controls. I think motion in general has a stigma against it because of elitism thanks to the more casual focused Wii or the amount of badly implemented controls in shovelware.

Absolutely, a lot of people just completely misunderstand what motion controls really mean. They think of waving the Wiimote when gyro aim is nothing like that. Motion controls can be done in various ways.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
-The PS4 Touchpad. Ok this one is a lot more in your face than the others, but I cant remember the last time it was used for something besides a giant select button/
The only thing I can ever remember using it for is tossing whichever explosive you have equipped by swiping up on the pad while aiming with your gun in GTAV/Online.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
Can't really count this as a console exclusive feature, but I really thought EA's GameFace software was going to be a literal game changer. Last time I used it was UFC 2, and I was surprised to see they were still supporting it at the time as they never advertise it. Having a created character that actually looked like me made me more invested in the game.

Why they never thought to bring that tech to RPGs is astounding to me. Most people I know create a rough approximation of themselves as an avatar. But actually making Commander Shepard or the Inquisitor look exactly like you would be a huge QOL improvement. No more sliders! A truly unique avatar for all created protagonists.

Oct 28, 2017
All the reminiscing reminded me that I bought the Nintendo wifi adaptor when I first got a Wii. It was a little usb piece you stuck into your computer and was usable only by the Wii or DS. Since wifi was still a new enough thing to still be pretty uncommon, Nintendo put out this solution.

6PFGqLr.jpg

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
All the reminiscing reminded me that I bought the Nintendo wifi adaptor when I first got a Wii. It was a little usb piece you stuck into your computer and was usable only by the Wii or DS. Since wifi was still a new enough thing to still be pretty uncommon, Nintendo put out this solution.

6PFGqLr.jpg
I had to use this bad boy for years on my DS

It took my family awhile to get WiFi...

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the Wii U TV button was fun for a bit when it came out, esp with it's TV Guide/live chat feature

6PFGqLr.jpg
I had to use this for years, mainly in college apartments when I didn't have control over the building/s wifi/etc (required login). Was a godsend really.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
I miss the music integration from the original Xbox, where you could rip CDs to the internal HDD. More than just playing music over the game, it replaced the music the game came with. In-game actions like pausing or cutscenes would properly pause the music. The Tony Hawk games come to mind as the best example of using this custom soundtrack feature.

Now there's just streaming options that play over anything else, and you have to manually mute the in-game sound. Without the integration, it just doesn't feel the same.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
That speaker on the Wii remote. It sounded like shit on the off chance that a game did use it.
I love speakers on the controller. Fatal Frame IV used it the best, where you'd get phone calls and the Wii remote would act as the phone receiver. I think there are a couple other games that did something similar. That concept doesn't translate as well with controllers like the Dualshock 4, unfortunately.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the expansion port on the PS1 completely baffling me as a kid. I think it was used for Gamesharks or something? Obviously that's not what Sony designed it for, but I dont remember anything official ever using it

Rhoman

Nov 14, 2019
I believe it got patched in fairly late on and needs to manually be enabled in the menu. I didn't start playing until the last patch was out.

Ahh gotcha, yeah I started playing last month myself. I'll look around for the setting. Funny enough Bend just released a patch yesterday, nothing major, bug fixes and consolidates all of the patches into one file.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Also being able to play music from USB devices. Like how Wipeout HD on PS3 allowed me to load in my own music and integrated it properly into the game, yet Wipeout Omega Collection completely omits this possibility.
One of the best things ever done in the old place was the board members created a custom soundtrack for WipEout HD called G.A.M.3. You can still find it online. Loads of original dance music created as an alternate OST. It was all I used for the game and it's sad that I can't use it with Omega Collection

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the switch's touchscreen. criminally underutilized, even by Nintendo

Yeah but that's on purpose, though. The Switch has to be easy to use in both docked and handheld, so making games that are touch-centric makes people that prefer to play docked feel left out. I think they intentionally underuse that feature, because the Switch really isn't meant to be a handheld device. It's marketed as a home console that can also be taken on the go, so the games sort of need to be designed first and foremost with the docked feature-set.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Vita back touch was cool but rarely used. Same goes for Dualshock 4 touch pad. Switch touch screen barely gets used and I think a few games would really benefit.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Yeah but that's on purpose, though. The Switch has to be easy to use in both docked and handheld, so making games that are touch-centric makes people that prefer to play docked feel left out. I think they intentionally underuse that feature, because the Switch really isn't meant to be a handheld device. It's marketed as a home console that can also be taken on the go, so the games sort of need to be designed first and foremost with the docked feature-set.
Switch has a model that can't be docked at all. To me it's 50/50. There should be more touch support for the portable players, and some games would just play better like Mario Maker.

Oct 27, 2017
The PlayStation 2 had HD capabilities though they were only utilised for like 6 games, one of which was a Jackass game.

I believe it was also compatible with Netflix, though due to lacking any sort of app feature you used a disk before going online. If I recall correctly is was mostly utilised in Brazil where the console was still obscenely popular long into the Playstation 3's lifecycle.

images
PS3 and Wii originally required a disc to run Netflix streaming in USA. People speculated it was a loophole to get around the exclusivity agreement they made with Microsoft to have the Netflix app on the 360 first.
The discs where free and arrived in the same envelopes Netflix's movie by mail service used. I still have both on mine somewhere.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily a console feature, but in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate you can export videos of entire matches (no matter how long) as decent looking videos in MP4 files and pop the SD card into a PC and view them as normal video files. You can edit these with something fancier than the built-in editor in Smash if you want.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Here's a funny one: I'm sure most of you know about the Genesis / Megadrive's headphone jack, right? Pretty famous stuff, but Sega went way further with this in 2 other models! I have a Sega Genesis model called the CDX (known everyhere else as the Multimega)...

It looks like a CD player, right? That's because it actually is! If you unhook it from the wall, you can put batteries in it and listen to CDs! It's sorta big for a CD player, but it's actually very damn small for a 16 bit console, so I love this thing a lot as a space saver (and cd player when I wanna go back to the past hehehe)

This system was called the Sega CD X in North America, and retailed for about $399.99 US, though they were closer to $500.00 in Canadian currency. I remember seeing these displayed in stores back in the day, I wanted one really bad. But the price was a big turn off. Plus, I already owned a Sega CD Model 2. I only wanted one of these because they looked cool.

But yes, this thing has a battery compartment for AA cell batteries. Sega thought it was a good idea to make it a portable CD player as well, which made it one of the most expensive portable CD players for its time between 1993 to 1995. it was such a weird selling point.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Pokemon Black and White had infrared tech built into the cartridges. Lol

It was so much slower then just regular wireless trading. It hardly worked half the time. There was literally no reason to put it in.

I have no idea what Game Freak was thinking.
HeartGold and SoulSilver did too, and also Black2 and White2

Infrared worked fine, but you needed a direct connection between the carts

But that's not exactly obscure. It was heavily advertised on pre-release (Even post release) and has a whole dedicated app

You could even record videos and stop motion videos, and there were sites dedicate to download and upload mpo photos compatible with 3DS
I used that on HeartGold for the pokeball step counter, but that's it.
The infrared sensor on those cartridges were also used as a copy protect / anti-piracy system if I'm not mistaken. Most of the common flash cartridges at the time didn't include one.

Oct 26, 2017
I love speakers on the controller. Fatal Frame IV used it the best, where you'd get phone calls and the Wii remote would act as the phone receiver. I think there are a couple other games that did something similar. That concept doesn't translate as well with controllers like the Dualshock 4, unfortunately.
No More Heroes also used it in the same way, by having Travis receive a phone call and the person would be heard through the wiimote. I remember thinking how novel it was at the time.

Koppai

Oct 25, 2017
that means the Switch is a successor to that in a way. the Wii U really was a prototype Switch
Duhhhh!

Every rumor about the next system comes in the system after. I remember the rumor for the Wii being that the controller had a touch screen, that happened on the Wii U. And the rumor with Wii U was that you could take it anywhere and play it. That happened with the Switch. Can't recall the Switch rumors at this time though.

KenOD

Oct 25, 2017
The PS3 and PS4's ability to play 3D movies. Not that they are all that good 3D movie players compared to dedicated machines, nor was it a format ever in any meaningful demand, but it is there and barely talked about by fans of that format or by Sony itself.

Last edited:

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
This system was called the Sega CD X in North America, and retailed for about $399.99 US, though they were closer to $500.00 in Canadian currency. I remember seeing these displayed in stores back in the day, I wanted one really bad. But the price was a big turn off. Plus, I already owned a Sega CD Model 2. I only wanted one of these because they looked cool.

But yes, this thing has a battery compartment for AA cell batteries. Sega thought it was a good idea to make it a portable CD player as well, which made it one of the most expensive portable CD players for its time between 1993 to 1995. it was such a weird selling point.

The thing can't even use the 32X IIRC (the dozen fans at the time would've been crushed, I'm sure).

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Switch has a model that can't be docked at all. To me it's 50/50. There should be more touch support for the portable players, and some games would just play better like Mario Maker.

Yeah, I mean, Nintendo made that system for people in 2012, and no one bought it. lol. The Switch is primarily a home console. The Lite is always gonna be a much smaller segment of the userbase. I don't see them every doing much to make more games touch-centric.

andydextrous

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The optical output on the PS2 was obviously supposed to be for connecting to home audio systems, but it also allowed you to rip CDs to MiniDisc.

Now, while this may not seem like a big deal, if you just used the standard audio out on some devices to rip a CD to minidisc, it was just one track. The PS2 optical split all the tracks perfectly.
Well I mean any CD or DVD player with optical output allowed you to do this, wasn't specific to PS2.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
The dual shock 4 touchpad is definitely a big one.

Witcher 3: If you press it once, it opens the menu. If you press it for a longer time, it goes straight to the inventory. If you swipe it, it goes straight to the map.
Especially later in the game when your inventory is full and every opening takes a few seconds this is a lifesaver. It makes navigating the menu so much more comfortable.

This basic concept could be adapted to every single open world game with minor adjustments depending on the game itself, but it basically never happens.
something like this would help so much for games like xenoblade 2 where there's like 3-4 menus to navigate

andydextrous

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Not so much of a bizarre feature but more of a bizarre omission of one. Launch xbox 360s didn't support HDMI at all, I think if you wanted HD you needed to use component.

People have already mentioned the gamecube digital out port being used by the component cables but that only applies in america/japan. No pal games support the use of those cables making the port entirely unused in those territories despite pal gamecubes still having the port.
PAL GameCubes supported the cable but could only output a maximum of 720x576i instead of 720x480p, it still looked a stack better than composite. I remember calling Nintendo Australia directly and paying $100AUD for the cable.