• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
The Japanese indie legend Yoshiro Kimura, from Love-de-Lic fame and who also created obscure cult classics such as 'Chulip' and 'Rule of Rose', is bringing 'Black Bird' to Switch.

253572-Kimura.jpg

The game will be released under his current new company, Onion Games, who also created 'Million Onion Hotel'.
466373-Onion-Hotel.jpg');

'Black Bird' is a new bi-directional horizontal shmup in the vein of 'Fantasy Zone', mixed with a Broadway musical approach, as bizarre as this sounds.

But you should never expect to see Yoshiro Kimura traveling through familiar or usual paths.

It's great to see one of the greatest Japanese video game designers making a triumphant return to the console development scene.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm rather enjoying Dandy Dungeon at the moment, I'm very interested to see what this looks like. It certainly seems very much in line with his creativity at first glance!

OP
OP
Epilexia

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
It should be noted that this is not the first game announced for Switch by an ex Love-de-Lic developer.

We also know that Pygmy Studio is developing 'LUNAXXX' together with Kenichi Nishi, the director of the first 'Chibi Robo' and the writer in 'Captain Rainbow'.

img_4510.jpg

lunaxxx-1.jpg

OP
OP
Epilexia

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
PC also. Why omit that?

The game was previously announced in other systems, Android to be exact, and indeed the video footage is from 2016.

I created this thread because a) a Switch version from this previously announced title has been confirmed, and b) because this will be the first console release of a game directed by Yoshiro Kimura in the last decade, with his latest console release being in 2009 with 'Little King's Story'.

To see Yoshiro Kimura active again is not real news, he released two games in 2017, 'Million Onion Hotel' and 'Dandy Dungeon'.

And you have a release in Steam from one of his previous games, 'Little King's Story' released in 2016.

All of that said, every lover of Yoshiro Kimura's creations or past Love-de-Lic games is invited to share his love, stories and found memories regarding the most iconic Japanese indie development studio :)

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
The game was previously announced in other systems, Android to be exact, and indeed the video footage is from 2016.

I created this thread because a) a Switch version from this previously announced title has been confirmed, and b) because this will be the first console release of a game directed by Yoshiro Kimura in the last decade, with his latest console release being in 2009 with 'Little King's Story'.

To see Yoshiro Kimura active again is not real news, he released two games in 2017, 'Million Onion Hotel' and 'Dandy Dungeon'.

And you have a release in Steam from one of his previous games, 'Little King's Story' released in 2016.

All of that said, every lover of Yoshiro Kimura's creations or past Love-de-Lic games is invited to share his love, stories and found memories regarding the most iconic Japanese indie development studio :)

I understand, but if your goal is to garner more attention for the game/dev it seems logical to cast the widest net possible and mention all platforms. Then you would have PC players also click on the thread. Bigger audience = more recognition.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Japanese indies scene is a goldmine that is sadly so under-exploited. It seems Japanese language skill is a must to actually dive into it.

OP
OP
Epilexia

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
More Yoshiro Kimura love with this iconic interview by John Szczepaniak, taken from the 'Untold History of Japanese Game Developers' DVD.