• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is it?

• Another remake?

Votes: 56 43.8%
  • New IP?

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • Ricochet 3

Votes: 31 24.2%

• Total voters

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The original, Opposing Forces and Blue Shift, but what's the purple one?

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The colors of the lines and shapes clearly represent the Half-Life main campaign, Opposing Force, Blue Shift, and Decay.
Perhaps they're fully remaking the three expansions.

Will Law

Feb 5, 2021
Yeah I'm guessing the 4th is decay, but I don't know what's so "purple" about that campaign.

Would be cool if it's a new campaign.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I thought the orange line was decay, unless it's just meant to be base game Half Life?

MV5BOTAwMDk2ZTYtOTI4YS00YjBkLTk2OGUtZTIwMjBkMTYyOGQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzIxOTM0ODM@._V1_.jpg

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see what an original project from them is like.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am very interested in whatever they do next. Black Mesa is excellent, especially considering the circumstances of its development.

It's worth watching that noclip documentary for a closer look at the studio. Hearing that they want to implement Valve's design sensibilities in a new game is enough to get me interested in whatever they release.

OP
OP
Max|Payne

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The colors of the lines and shapes clearly represent the Half-Life main campaign, Opposing Force, Blue Shift, and Decay.
Perhaps they're fully remaking the three expansions.
There were mod teams already doing those. Do you think Crowbar Collective either acquired them or entered into a collaboration deal with those teams to fully develop those remakes for a retail release?

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I kinda of hope it's not Decay (it's really not all that good beyond the novelty of a two-player Half Life imo), and nothing about this really suggests that it is Decay to me beyond "there are four things, Decay is a fourth thing". Though if they're going to wildly re-imagine it, then I trust they'd make something way better out of it, I suppose.

Personally I think it would be cool if this is an "expansion pack" of their own imagining for Black Mesa. And given the lack of any purple-based Half Life property, I'd wager it probably is.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I believe they have been wanting to do something entirely original sooo...

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's not half-life related but I'd love something for Gunman Chronicles. It was basically a paid HL1 mod at the time and I didn't know any better. I don't think you can buy it on steam.

Fake edit: you can apparently just download it!
www.moddb.com

Gunman Chronicles Steam Version file

The full version of Gunman Chronicles fully ported to steam. Please read the full description!

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
There were mod teams already doing those. Do you think Crowbar Collective either acquired them or entered into a collaboration deal with those teams to fully develop those remakes for a retail release?
I think it's possible.
Alternatively, their original project is actually a new Half-Life expansion. That could be neat.

Annihilo

Sep 14, 2019
well, it could be anything. Im sure valve trusts their judgement if they wanted to make something using their ip.

i doubt its an opposing force remake because of a mod by Tripmine Studios that's been in the works for years (and is graphically on par with black mesa).

i dunno, the video gives me multiplayer vibes. personally.

Antipode

Jul 25, 2019
Much as I'd love for the color choices and crowbar logo focus to suggest that they're doing remakes of the other Half-Life expansions (since I have zero faith in Tripmine ever completing their attempt), I think the shield emblem shape suggests this is teasing an original property. That should excite me more, but in all honesty, it zeroes out my hype for this specific announcement, and I'll reserve my interest for when they have a gameplay teaser. On the other hand, they had to know people would interpret this to mean they're doing the HL expansions - I doubt they'd intentionally lead people on unless there was something there. They wouldn't WANT their original property to immediately disappoint people out of the gate, right?

OP
OP
Max|Payne

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Much as I'd love for the color choices and crowbar logo focus to suggest that they're doing remakes of the other Half-Life expansions (since I have zero faith in Tripmine ever completing their attempt), I think the shield emblem shape suggests this is teasing an original property. That should excite me more, but in all honesty, it zeroes out my hype for this specific announcement, and I'll reserve my interest for when they have a gameplay teaser. On the other hand, they had to know people would interpret this to mean they're doing the HL expansions - I doubt they'd intentionally lead people on unless there was something there. They wouldn't WANT their original property to immediately disappoint people out of the gate, right?
Could still be a heavily HL inspired narrative campaign that allows for 4 player co-op but also solo play, maybe?

Mogg

Jul 4, 2023
I really disliked their take on Xen but I wish them the best. Hopefully they learned something from how many reacted to the major pacing issues they created there. I'd still give anything they make a fair shake.

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
I have nothing to say or add to the conversation, but I loved Black Mesa so much, and I can't wait to see whatever's next

My first instinct was Opposing Force and/or Blue Shift down the line, but if its an original project that's sick too

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely curious what the team is capable of with making their own IP. Hopefully Valve gave them the grace of Source 2, they deserve it.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's not half-life related but I'd love something for Gunman Chronicles. It was basically a paid HL1 mod at the time and I didn't know any better. I don't think you can buy it on steam.

Fake edit: you can apparently just download it!
www.moddb.com

Gunman Chronicles Steam Version file

The full version of Gunman Chronicles fully ported to steam. Please read the full description!
This is what I want.

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
I really disliked their take on Xen but I wish them the best. Hopefully they learned something from how many reacted to the major pacing issues they created there. I'd still give anything they make a fair shake.
I liked the first Xen chapter well enough, but Interloper was absolutely horrendous, and it went on for HOURS.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to seeing what they're working on next.

I liked the first Xen chapter well enough, but Interloper was absolutely horrendous, and it went on for HOURS.

Yeah I liked the rest of Black Mesa but man their Xen levels just drag on and on forever. I feel like the Xen section should have been like 70-80% shorter.