Oct 25, 2017
The 2nd time I saw this movie the audience wasn't as enjoyable, but as a plus we did have a black dude that worked at the theater come out at the end and tell everybody to stay after the credits for the post scenes and he asked how everyone liked it.
Marvel stingers stopped being worth it a while a while ago. GotG 2 broke me. I already disliked the movie, but that's when I finally went "oh fuck these".

Gorillaz

Oct 25, 2017
The final battle where virtually everyone non-lethally and bloodlessly fights for like 20 whole minutes while getting trampled by rhinoceri was just bad.
It was either the typical mandated Marvel 3rd act finale or Coogler bit off more then he could chew. Maybe both. It didn't feel like something Coogler felt comfortable in putting together and it was definitely rough.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Crossposting since I realized I posted it in the wrong thread:

Saw it this evening. Loved it. We got there 45 minutes before showtime and there was already a line. We had a great audience too. Mostly black, unsurprisingly. The whole cast was fantastic. I like how they're setting up Ross to be the new Coulson. It's unfortunate that it doesn't look like he appears in IW. Will probably go see it again next week.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
Just saw it a second time today, Damm I ended up enjoying it even more than the first time. Perhaps, it is my second favorite MCU film just behind The Winter Soldier.

The secondary characters are amazing, Wakanda is so credible!! Like I wish it existed, the soundtrack is like the best one out of all Marvel movies, Killmonger is one of the best supervillians of inside this universe, the story is interesting and with meaning.

Just pure fun overall, the only two problems to me were the CGI in some parts (that last T'challa vs Killmonger fight, the second astral plane, those CGIs Rhinos and some acrobatics made by Black Panther that were so unnecessary to make them full CGI instead of using a real stunt person) and Killmonger needed more screentime.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
So the meteor that crashed into Africa has the soul stone right

No, it's just a big hunk of magic metal that can do anything.

Maybe. Maybe not. We don't know.

What bothers me about this is that if the soul stone is in the meteor, it suggests that the reason for everything unique about Wakanda doesn't come from the people, but a plot device that gave them supernatural gifts. How much of the specialness then comes from the stone, rather than the people's own intelligence. I feel giving their society any credit to the stone is saying that Wakandans are successful because they are augmented by the stone, and that their accomplishments are not really their own.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What bothers me about this is that if the soul stone is in the meteor, it suggests that the reason for everything unique about Wakanda doesn't come from the people, but a plot device that gave them supernatural gifts. How much of the specialness then comes from the stone, rather than the people's own intelligence. I feel giving their society any credit to the stone is saying that Wakandans are successful because they are augmented by the stone, and that their accomplishments are not really their own.
I mean, going by that logic, wouldn't that be true whether the meteor contained the stone or not? It's still the Vibranium that allowed them to accomplish all that they did.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That logic is the exact same with or without the stone

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't understand how the Wakandan's fought before, now I'm super hyped to see them fight in Infinity War.

Also, Black Mirror started it, but I can now safely say that I have a crush on Letitia Wright. <3

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Were there any songs in the movie that weren't part of the Kendrick Lamar BP album?

ShaheedMalik

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just saw it a second time today, Damm I ended up enjoying it even more than the first time. Perhaps, it is my second favorite MCU film just behind The Winter Soldier.

The secondary characters are amazing, Wakanda is so credible!! Like I wish it existed, the soundtrack is like the best one out of all Marvel movies, Killmonger is one of the best supervillians of inside this universe, the story is interesting and with meaning.

Just pure fun overall, the only two problems to me were the CGI in some parts (that last T'challa vs Killmonger fight, the second astral plane, those CGIs Rhinos and some acrobatics made by Black Panther that were so unnecessary to make them full CGI instead of using a real stunt person) and Killmonger needed more screentime.

The acrobatics were the stunt man. The only cgi was the glowing purple on the suit in those scenes.

Oct 27, 2017

Dude...what are you talking about? The soul stone doesn't process vibranium for them. It doesn't create tech out of it. It doesn't build things. At most the soul stone had the effect on the local flora that led to the heart shaped herb

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We never talked about how Klaue is just a straight racist right?
lol, dude's a psychotic Afrikaaner nutbag. That said, he seemed to work just fine with Killmonger and he had black guys in his crew, right? Maybe he just hated Wakandans only and otherwise was an equal-opportunity asshole to everyone. But yeah, he was a racist fuck

Serkis was hilarious tho.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, going by that logic, wouldn't that be true whether the meteor contained the stone or not? It's still the Vibranium that allowed them to accomplish all that they did.

It crossed my mind on that too, but with the Vibranium it gave them a chance to use their ingenuity and intelligence to use it to become advanced, and thus avoid any of the cripplings injustices that other nations in Africa were subjected to. The Soul Stone though seems to be giving people greater insight, let it be through visions or influence on the first King/Black Panther. In a way, what I described does happen regardless anyway in the movie because the whole opening seems to suggest the reason people were able to band together was that of a magic flower that granted the leader the wisdom to end the war between its tribes.

That on its own is disappointing, that the Wakandan people needed an extraterrestrial push to begin their civilization, simply as a way to tie it into Infinity War. I don't see any reason why the people of Wakanda couldn't have found Vibranium to be just a special metal unique to the earth in that area, and for the Black Panther's power and their spiritual customs to stem naturally from their culture, rather than a lucky coincidence.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It crossed my mind on that too, but with the Vibranium it gave them a chance to use their ingenuity and intelligence to use it to become advanced, and thus avoid any of the cripplings injustices that other nations in Africa were subjected to. The Soul Stone though seems to be giving people greater insight, let it be through visions or influence on the first King/Black Panther. In a way, what I described does happen regardless anyway in the movie because the whole opening seems to suggest the reason people were able to band together was that of a magic flower that granted the leader the wisdom to end the war between its tribes.

That on its own is disappointing, that the Wakandan people needed an extraterrestrial push to begin their civilization, simply as a way to tie it into Infinity War. I don't see any reason why the people of Wakanda couldn't have found Vibranium to be just a special metal unique to the earth in that area, and for the Black Panther's power and their spiritual customs to stem naturally from their culture, rather than a lucky coincidence.
You do realize the stone would likely only help with the herb right

ShaheedMalik

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are some acrobatics while using the suit that are clearly CGI. The jungle scene has some of them (which did not have the glowing purple suit), the Korean chasing scene has some as well, and the last fight.
Those there you refer to can't be done by a stunt man. There were some done on the battle field scene that were the stuntman which is what I though you were referring to.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
Those there you refer to can't be done by a stunt man. There were some done on the battle field scene that were the stuntman which is what I though you were referring to.

Some movements were like clearly superhuman, so I can accept the CGI, but there were some others movements that could be done without CGI, in my opinion. If you focus on the jungle scene and how black panther moves... That shit could be done using an stunt man but if you track black panther with the guns's flashing... There is CG.

ShaheedMalik

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some movements were like clearly superhuman, so I can accept the CGI, but there were some others movements that could be done without CGI, in my opinion. If you focus on the jungle scene and how black panther moves... That shit could be done using an stunt man but if you track black panther with the guns's flashing... There is CG.
I can't speak for the jungle scene, I wasn't there for that. I saw the movie 5 times and most people didn't see what happened. It was too dark.

Oct 25, 2017

I dont know why they dont put martial artists in these superhero suits. I dont know how it'd work but it'd be awesome.

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
I heard someone theorize that Vibranium was used in Wakanda's advanced medicine. Makes sense as it ties back to how they used it to create an organism in Age of Ultron, and Ultron ranting about the possibilities of Vibranium but humans only used it to make weapons. It's a nice touch.

Oct 27, 2017
We never talked about how Klaue is just a straight racist right?
"You shouldn't deal with the Wakandans mate, I'm more your speed"
5I5s8.png

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
I can't speak for the jungle scene, I wasn't there for that. I saw the movie 5 times and most people didn't see what happened. It was too dark.

I agree, that scene is difficult to follow, too dark. When black panther could only be seen with just the flashing, I and some of my friends could notice the CGI in some of his movements. It is not that deal breaker, though.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it and it was very good! Top 3 MCU probably for me. It was my favorite up until the last act or so where it felt kind of rushed.

Killmonger was definitely a good villain, but he really could have been Dark Knight Joker level if they spent a bit more time on him and gave him a better plan than just "give everyone guns". Overall all the characters were really good though, and the album is probably the best of any super hero movie. Didn't really have any problems with the CG either, other than really the rhinos.

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What cinemas were you people watching in?

You're talking about the scene where he rescues Nakia right? I didn't have any issues making out what was happening .

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're talking about the scene where he rescues Nakia right? I didn't have any issues making out what was happening .

It was overly dark and that's far too common of a complaint to be an outlier.

You may have seen it ok, but the scene was clearly not lit well enough / handled right in post production

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
You do realize the stone would likely only help with the herb right

The herb is only there because of the meteor and/or soul stone, unless I am mistaken. I think I will see it again tomorrow though.

It was overly dark and that's far too common of a complaint to be an outlier.

You may have seen it ok, but the scene was clearly not lit well enough / handled right in post production

My GF and I when we saw it were bothered by how dim the film was when we saw it, but it wasn't a problem with the cinema, just the 3d glasses they gave us. I watched part of it with them off because it was so damn annoying.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I had to complain to my cinema that the color settings were all fucked up, everything had this super blue hue. The same shit happened with The Last Jedi, so I knew it wasn't gonna be fixed before the actual movie started. They told me they couldn't do anything once the trailers started, so I had to watch the whole movie with fucked up colors.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is Panther has a lot of issues if you want to nitpick from a post prodution stand point. Lighting is weird in some scenes, CG is rough, and some other little issues. The thing is BP's strengths are so strong they overcome these sorts of things.

But Coogler is certainly no, say James Gunn, in terms of mechanics. You compare BP to either of the Guardians films in term of pure directing "mechanics" and its not really that close. But the things Coogler excels at, he is Incredible at.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get to finally see T'Challa with his energy daggers instead of using his claws.

He would look a lot more badass so I don't understand why they haven't used them.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Michael B. Jordan was so good in this movie.

Guys what was the song with the big bass drops that played two or three times in the last third of the movie, before the climax?

It was like a hip hop bass line/beat. Lasted only 5 seconds whenever it came on but it felt so good to hear. It only played once Michael B. Jordan's character first came to Wakanda I believe.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
So it was better than couple of previous Marvel movies. Better than Guardians 2 for sure (which was quite a cringe-fest), better than Strange, I also liked it more than Civil War, but overall it was like... I don't like scoring, but 7/10 maybe?

I love that we finally have really different hero. Like, he is not a smartass. He's genuinely a good guy and if you look at other male heroes, they are mostly wise-cracking white dudes. I also liked the Killmonger. Finally a villian with a motivation I could understand. All the technology was cool and I love Panther's sister.

I just wish there was less filler. I feel like the whole coronation thing could've been done faster or even as a short flashback because interesting stuff is happening after he is a king. I would love more focus of the issue if Wakanda's isolationism and the fact they don't give a single f**k about the rest of Africa for example.

And yeah, CGI was a little bit weird sometimes, but meh, I don't care. Good movie overall. It will be boring to go back to white dudebro ironic male heroes now.

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not even hindsight talking here because I said the same before the movie came out but why the fuck were so many people worried about Michael B Jordan?