dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
He'll 100% be back.

I love how Marvel likes to keep directors on a franchise.

Yeah, they learned their lesson after the somewhat tumultuous times in phase 1 and 2. They struck gold with Winter Soldier. And they needed it with Whedon departing and the Thor and IM franchises tearing through directors. And future movies like Ant-Man were already a meme. People take it for granted how much the MCU could have failed, even after the Avengers hit it big. It's not as easy as they make it look; surely, they've struggled plenty and at times it was very public.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
CCq6gnI.png

Still the best OT title suggested.
Honestly one of my favorites comic moments.
He made good on the promise as well

RoyaleDuke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nowhere
Didn't he create the Cabal after miraculously surviving this assassination attempt by T'Challa? T'Challa wanted Namor dead for the flooding of Wakanda, but he really lost his shit when Namor said, "Fuck it." and killed a few billion people by blowing up that other Earth.

But before that, when it was only the Wakanda stuff, I love how matter of fact T'Challa was in this page:
CCq6gnI.png

Still the best OT title suggested.

What arc is this, I need some good BP runs since I haven't read for years and TBH, I never read that much, an issue here or there, Luke Cage MAX was more my thing.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Oh shit, would that also be the Infinity Hickman run?

Infinity is an event series that's part of that run, yeah.
Yeah, and Infinity works a lot better when taken in the whole context of Hickman's run.
Let me spoil something that happens near the end of it, but it is too badass.
black-panther-and-namor-vs-doctor-doom-secret-wars-4.jpg

Doctor Doom casually one hit killing Namor before taking on an Infinity Gauntlet wielding Black Panther. Because BP was the only person to give Doom any trouble up until that point. Not even the Phoenix Force or Thanos were giving Doom an issue, but T'Challa rocking that Gauntlet made him see things very differently.

EDIT: Hickman knew how to write Black Panther so well. Same with Doom and the FF.

RoyaleDuke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nowhere
Yeah, and Infinity works a lot better when taken in the whole context of Hickman's run.

Doctor Doom casually one hit killing Namor before taking on an Infinity Gauntlet wielding Black Panther. Because BP was the only person to give Doom any trouble up until that point. Not even the Phoenix Force or Thanos were giving Doom an issue, but T'Challa rocking that Gauntlet made him see things very differently.

EDIT: Hickman knew how to write Black Panther so well. Same with Doom and the FF.

Well to be fair, I read the Infinity TPB on comixology already, it was pretty good.

One my other favorite moments between Doom and BP, would be when Doom encounters the Spirit of Wakanda that guards the vibranium.

EDIT2: favorite doom depiction is still Brubaker's Books of Doom.

EDIT3: God I hope the BP movie has some MF DOOM.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
But RoyaleDuke , read Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers run. Or to make it even more epic, tack on his Fantastic Four and FF runs before that. And yes, Infinity gets much, much cooler when you have the whole build up to it.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Wait hold on.

Doom had no trouble with Thanos? I thought Thanos flicked his finger and ended the universe because of how stupid powerful he is or something.

How is Doom on that kind of level? Is Doom another pull shit out of my ass like Batman then?

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Wait hold on.

Doom had no trouble with Thanos? I thought Thanos flicked his finger and ended the universe because of how stupid powerful he is or something.

How is Doom on that kind of level? Is Doom another pull shit out of my ass like Batman then?
In this story, Doom is God. Literally. Well, a god.

But he no sells a full force blast from Phoenix Force before snapping Cyclops's neck for daring to attack him, and later he has a hilariously one sided fight with Thanos.

god-doom-kills-thanos-2.jpg

god-doom-kills-thanos-3.jpg

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's better in context but it just sounds so ridiculous. The scale of power is wack in these comics. Just makes no sense sometimes.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
black-panther-final.jpg

When was the last time a superhero movie was a cover of TIME?

I have to be honest-my eyes watered up when I saw this cover. The review is great too:

One of Black Panther's attributes as a project, clear from the start, is that it meant roles for many actors of color. From the early to mid part of the 20th century, there was a small but important American industry of films made especially for black audiences, featuring black stars like Cab Calloway and Lena Horne. These weren't extravagant pictures, but they offered both escapism and a view of life that wasn't strictly, exclusively white: They reassured black Americans—and it's a tragedy by itself that such reassurance would be necessary—that they, too, were America.

Black Panther is a modern expansion of that idea, a picture for everyone that stresses the necessary meaning of the word everyone. It's pure pleasure to look at the screen and see the faces of both established actors we don't get to see often enough (like Bassett, as well as Forest Whitaker as Zuri, a spiritual-warrior figure) and newcomers who leave us hankering for more (like the vibrant Letitia Wright). Black Panther is set largely in Wakanda, with a detour to South Korea. Still, there's no shaking the feeling that this is what America looks like when it's allowed to be its truest, freest self. That's a superhero challenge if ever there was one.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone think they could introduce Storm in a Black Panther sequel the same way he, Spider-man and Hulk got introduced in other films?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone think they could introduce Storm in a Black Panther sequel the same way he, Spider-man and Hulk got introduced in other films?
It's gonna be interesting to see what they do with the X-Men. I'm not sure how they can handle that and keep the current X-Men timeline going. Or timeline(s), whatever it is. Shit is confusing.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Oh sorry, misread your comment. I only meant that they'll do a full reboot of the current X-Men timeline. Whatever they do with X-Men will be reworked to fit within the constructs of the modern MCU.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel they could introduce Storm in a movie called Storm.
Well yes, best case scenario lol.

Solo movie or not, I want Storm to be introduced as part of the African landscape, before being transplanted to the States. Could be a good character comparison between T'Challa and Erik Kilmonger.

Nov 30, 2017
Wait hold on.

During Time Runs Out, with the multiverse dying, Doom went on a mission and used Molecule Man to suck Beyonder's power and become a god. The Beyonders were killing the multiverse.

He then recreated Battleworld with various regions representing different universes in the Marvel universe.

Hickman was writing Secret Wars, which is the final event to his whole run at Marvel, while all the writers were writing different stories representing different parts of Battleworld.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I feel they could introduce Storm in a movie called Storm.
I think Feige said introducing X Men as a whole would take a very long time since they have the MCU planned out for the next few years. But they could definitely start introducing or showing cameos here and there

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, really. Hell hath no fury like rabid internet fans, now there's socio in the mix.

I know what you mean. They only gave The Dark Knight good reviews because Heath Ledger died. Probably giving Black Panther good reviews because its the death of white super hero movies in general.

Rip honest film criticism. 1889-2018.
Let that rage flow through you man. I'm not white.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
This is hilarious.

As others pointed out, wonder how many of the reviewers are being honest and how many are just giving it a fresh rating for the obvious reasons.
I know what you mean. They only gave The Dark Knight good reviews because Heath Ledger died. Probably giving Black Panther good reviews because its the death of white super hero movies in general.

Rip honest film criticism. 1889-2018.