魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Ryan Coogler and crew of Black Panther for making 1 billion worldwide.

The haters must be getting really salty now.

Angel DvA

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If BP success can bring more diversity in Hollywood, I think that's awesome, I'm happy for all the people who really wanted it to be successful or feel inspired by it, congrats!

I thought the movie was mediocre though.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
ronaldthump was completely blown out on every single prediction. Not enough crow in the world for him to eat.

Not gonna lie, he had me doubting this with his takes from the screening he allegedly attended.

But, yeah, will never take anything that guys says at face value ever again - what a WUM and BSA.

Interesting, he doesn't post in BP threads at all.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What do we think will be the end total, counting in dollar theatres and markets where it's yet to drop? I say $1.5b.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"I AM YOUR KING NOW!"

Congratulations to everyone involved. Hopefully this further opens the door for proper representation in the blockbuster sphere.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
So Chadwick signed on for five films, right?

Civil War
Black Panther
Infinity War
Avengers 4

And the next one will probably be Black Panther 2, if he doesn't appear in anything else before then.

That's probably five consecutive billion dollar films before he has another chance to negotiate another contract.

I really hope he has it in his contract where he gets a strong percentage of the box office for his solo movies. Otherwise, he's on that rookie salary until he gets to negotiate again and get that Robert Downey Jr payday.

Oct 25, 2017
So Chadwick signed on for five films, right?

Civil War
Black Panther
Infinity War
Avengers 4

And the next one will probably be Black Panther 2, if he doesn't appear in anything else before then.

That's probably five consecutive billion dollar films before he has another chance to negotiate another contract.

I really hope he has it in his contract where he gets a strong percentage of the box office for his solo movies. Otherwise, he's on that rookie salary until he gets to negotiate again and get that Robert Downey Jr payday.

Nah, they leave room to renegotiate salaries for every film. Nobody really gets stuck working for less than their worth. He probably gets a bump based on milestones or something.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had you told me two years ago that the first movie about this virtual unknown named Black Panther would shit on the first live action Justice League movie I would've laughed at you. Incredible.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

giphy.gif

Wakanda FOREVER.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
What do we think will be the end total, counting in dollar theatres and markets where it's yet to drop? I say $1.5b.

With that international performance, the final boost will be the markets where still hasnt premiere (china?) and thats it.

1.2B is an excellent ceiling.

Oct 27, 2017
1.2 B should be the ceiling for it IMO.
If it holds as well as Dead Pool did coming off of its 4th weekend, it will flirt with 700m domestically. It's been holding better than Dead Pool every single day so that suggests $700m domestic is a very likely target.

Coming off of a $56m OS weekend last week, with decent holds, $500m OS - China is a realistic target. Add the $100m from China and a $600m cume OS is pretty much assured.

$1.275 billion seems like the floor. With a better than expected OW multi in China or better overseas holds, $1.35 and Deathly Hallows pt. 2 is probably the ceiling.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Something, something, black doesn't sell.
This movie's success is nothing short of incredible. We can only hope other studios are paying close attention, it breaking 1 billion definitely makes it hard to ignore.

Last edited:

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Not gonna lie, he had me doubting this with his takes from the screening he allegedly attended.

But, yeah, will never take anything that guys says at face value ever again - what a WUM and BSA.

Interesting, he doesn't post in BP threads at all.

It's a dude using a freaking TRUMP avatar. C'mon fam. It smelled like bullshit before, it smelled worse after Black Panther. I didn't believe him for a literal millisecond.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
We did it! 1.078 billion at the box office. First post updated with all the relevant information, and all you Incredible Hulk fans should be happy now, too. :)

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Congrats to BP! Very well deserved and I hope it's success continues (and Shuri gets an expanded role next time...loved her in the movie).
I hope this means we get more diverse announcements from Marvel for the next slate of movies!

I wonder how much IW will make, it'll be interesting to follow that. :)

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Incredible how well this film has done. I was expecting 600-800 mil.

It's not even that good really. It's fine, but it feels quite by the numbers (I thought the same about Spider Man Homecoming. Fine, but kind of treading water). The last year or so of Marvel films have all felt a little 'safer' with their actual stories.

The last Marvel I truly adored was Doctor Strange. Man I love that film (being a big Cumberbatch fan helps tbf)

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

It's not even that good really. It's fine, but it feels quite by the numbers (I thought the same about Spider Man Homecoming. Fine, but kind of treading water). The last year or so of Marvel films have all felt a little 'safer' with their actual stories.

The last Marvel I truly adored was Doctor Strange. Man I love that film (being a big Cumberbatch fan helps tbf)
Did you even get the message it was trying to tell?

Oct 26, 2017

What's your definition of safe?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I wish we lived in a world where a afrofuturic 99% black casted movie was consider routine

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Did you even get the message it was trying to tell?

What's your definition of safe?

I got the message yeah, I just mean it never *really* felt like there was never that much 'danger'. Same as with Spider Man, I knew the hero would be fine by the end of the film, that the baddie would lose, and that the issues would resolve themselves. Maybe it's just superhero fatigue, but with films like Civil War there were unexpected twists, things that didn't get resolved (Hulk disappeared, Peggy's death, Tony & Cap not making up), and in Doctor Strange the Sorceress Supreme died, Strange and the girl didn't get together. In Spider Man and in BP there weren't many twists, the bad guy lost and it was all fine in the end.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Barring competition in April cutting it's legs more significantly than you would expect, it should clear that amount before it ends its run. Maybe 4 weeks time?

I think we are talking VERY CLOSE to $700m, a little bit less or a little bit over. Black Panther's run will keep going alongside Infinity War in the months to come, and I think that getting on the verge of breaking $700m is feasible, while yet very hard. It's definitely topping Raimi's Spider-Man adjusted, but I do think that it's coming for TDK's 2nd place domestic among the genre. Topping The Avengers might be too hard though.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Lol, funny, that's exactly how I felt about Dr. Strange...

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How? Doctor Strange had some of the greatest action sequence special effects I've ever seen in any film. And the spiritual focus was a breath of fresh air in the MCU

Didn't care about the characters, like at all. The critcism of it essentially being "Iron Man but with magic" is admittedly pretty spot-on. It was a pretty movie, and the way the final villain was taken down was cute, but that's about it.

Also they wasted Mads Mikkelsen.

dr_octagon

Dec 31, 2017
I wish we lived in a world where a afrofuturic 99% black casted movie was consider routine

Black Panther is enjoyable and well made (one of the better ones in the MCU). The handling of the villain is disappointing and after 15+ films some things are routine. Story elements being comparable means a decision and outcome feels familiar. The setting and cast won't prevent that. Not all the film of course as some things were unique because of the story or the execution was well done. There were decent characters, with good actors, big themes explored and handled well. I would have preferred more dialogue and story (the action sequences were ok but nothing amazing - the finale was a let down).

Wiped / Lotus

Dr Strange was shit - there was a handful of cool visual sequences. Benedict Cumberbatch struggling with his American accent is always off putting. Waste of good actors and random jokes when people are being murdered or when the situation is meant to be serious (even by MCU standards, it was out of place).

Oct 26, 2017
I got the message yeah, I just mean it never *really* felt like there was never that much 'danger'. Same as with Spider Man, I knew the hero would be fine by the end of the film, that the baddie would lose, and that the issues would resolve themselves.
So for you, a "not-safe" comic book movie is the tired idea that the hero needs to lose and the bad guy needs to win, when in actuality, all of that is superfluous. The themes in BP like isolationism and racial diaspora is pretty risky for a superhero film, and the "danger" isn't about the hero's life, but how his way of life is shaken up.

Maybe it's just superhero fatigue, but with films like Civil War there were unexpected twists, things that didn't get resolved (Hulk disappeared, Peggy's death, Tony & Cap not making up),

Hulk left in Age of Ultron, Peggy's death didn't need to be resolved because she died of old age, and Cap's letter was basically a schoolyard apology. Did you leave Civil War believing that Tony and Cap still hated each other?

and in Doctor Strange the Sorceress Supreme died, Strange and the girl didn't get together. In Spider Man and in BP there weren't many twists, the bad guy lost and it was all fine in the end.

The mentor figure dying and the main guy and main girl not getting together on-screen is by-the-numbers safe. Star Wars did it in the 70's.
Have we really reached a point where twists and shock value needs to supersede actual execution?
If you watched Vulture and Spidey or T'Challa and Killmonger's scenes and came out of both films disappointed that villain lost and not thinking about how the villains were connected into the hero's lives and forced them to change, then you've missed the point.

Not you

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, this is exactly how I felt. Adding to BP, and Homecoming, I thought Ragnarok, and Civil War weren't great either. Strange and Guardians were better, but it seems like as these movies get more popular, they are catering to the masses more than to comic fans.