JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I'll be pissed if Taskmaster doesn't live and leaves out a potential encounter with Deadpool in a future movie.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Does this actually lead into anything since it's set in the past?

Let's hope we get the Winter Guard.

5d0333e9b90e411006fe9a8a6d91a78f.jpg

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Up to 86% from 105 reviews so far, it's been hovering around that 85% mark for the last 50 or so reviews.

Still early days, but I'd expect a bit of a dip at some point and to settle in the 70%'s?

Unless it pulls a WW84 anyway.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Up to 86% from 105 reviews so far, it's been hovering around that 85% mark for the last 50 or so reviews.

Still early days, but I'd expect a bit of a dip at some point and to settle in the 70%'s?

Unless it pulls a WW84 anyway.
WW had already tanked by this point. I'd say there's very little chance this one drops below the high 70's.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Striking out on Taskmaster is a bummer, but the film seems solid

If this is the closest I can get to Ghost in the Shell 2, I will take it

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Huh is this really a phase 4 movie? Isn't Shang Chi and Eternals the start of that? Guess i'll see when I watch it in a few weeks.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Chaw's review is up:

I have no idea what's going on in Black Widow, and I think that once you get bucked off this horse, there's no getting back on. So here's Cate Shortland's Black Widow, the 24th MCU flick, if only the second centred around a female protagonist--one we know has sacrificed herself for the sake of the least interesting/worthy of her male counterparts, meaning this one takes place in either the past or an alternate timeline or something. It doesn't matter. In the comic-book world, there are new #1s every few cycles that are reboots or speculative storylines or something. It's how they get you to keep buying them. What matters is, the more you humanize this character you've already made abundantly clear you don't really care about, the worse her already-loathsome sacrifice feels.

www.filmfreakcentral.net

Black Widow (2021)

**½/**** starring Scarlett Johansson, Florence Pugh, David Harbour, Rachel Weisz screenplay by Eric Pearson directed by Cate Shortland by Walter Chaw You know it's gritty because of the gritty cover song interrupting the bucolic prologue--Think Up Anger ft. Malia J's "Smells Like Teen Spirit"...

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Chaw's review is up:

I have no idea what's going on in Black Widow, and I think that once you get bucked off this horse, there's no getting back on. So here's Cate Shortland's Black Widow, the 24th MCU flick, if only the second centred around a female protagonist--one we know has sacrificed herself for the sake of the least interesting/worthy of her male counterparts, meaning this one takes place in either the past or an alternate timeline or something. It doesn't matter. In the comic-book world, there are new #1s every few cycles that are reboots or speculative storylines or something. It's how they get you to keep buying them. What matters is, the more you humanize this character you've already made abundantly clear you don't really care about, the worse her already-loathsome sacrifice feels.

www.filmfreakcentral.net

Black Widow (2021)

**½/**** starring Scarlett Johansson, Florence Pugh, David Harbour, Rachel Weisz screenplay by Eric Pearson directed by Cate Shortland by Walter Chaw You know it's gritty because of the gritty cover song interrupting the bucolic prologue--Think Up Anger ft. Malia J's "Smells Like Teen Spirit"...
No idea who this dude is, but on his scale he's rated it the same as Endgame, so I'd take it as a compliment.

edit - actually, the 2.5 seems higher than he normally gives MCU movies in general.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the trailer, looks pretty good to me. I liked the espionage angle of Winter Soldier so I hope this has a similar feel.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
My family is doing day one digital, but also going to our local cinema ahead of time and purchasing concessions from them.

I miss the cinema hall but we haven't gotten our second shot yet, still about 2 months out as per government schedule. To be honest even with shot two, I'd still be hesitant to return to the cinema hall.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Chaw's review is up:

www.filmfreakcentral.net

Black Widow (2021)

Holy shit, what is this website layout?! Is this an intentional gimmick or is it just unironically ugly?

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, what is this website layout?! Is this an intentional gimmick or is it just unironically ugly?

I feel like it has been the same for 20 years. He likes Marvel movies fine, but he's given nearly all of them ** or **1/2 stars. The only outliers being Captain America (***1/2 stars), Captain America 2 (***), and Guardians (***). Check out the interview index as well. Good stuff in there.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Was able to catch a screening of this through my work, and I was bored to tears. It's a competent movie (as all Marvel movies are), but a lot of the reviews are correct in that it's hard to care. Idk. I'm not big into spy movies anyway, so it was always an uphill battle for me.

Performances are great, though, and it felt good to see a legit blockbuster again. Aside from that, though, it feels like a stopgap they made to buy time while they planned out the more interesting upcoming slate. It really should've happened before Endgame.

(Don't ask for spoilers. I'm not giving any).

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel seem to waste their villains. Perhaps that suited them before when they were hero focused and mainly working towards Thanos as a singular big bad. But now if they really are going for thunderbolts etc or simply expanding to Disney+, it seems an obvious opportunity to leverage the more we'll known villains as characters in their own right and not just a third act goalpost for the heroes to get past

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The trailers made it seem like they would mess up Taskmaster. Voiceless, no cape or even a long scarf.

You can't make a good superhero film with a mediocre villain. Doesn't happen.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Reviews read like it's a decent, middle of the road marvel movie. Not bad at all, but probably not the big splash movie you want for a "marvels return to cinema". Buy that was mostly out of Disneys hand of course.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
While the 'stakes'-argument is silly and this quote is at the very least badly worded, there is some truth to this movie feeling odd continuity-wise. Like, it's clear they are trying to make this movie a very personal, character-defining story, except we already know it cannot be too character defining because her (canon) next appearance in Infinity War didn't show any significant personal growth. Like, Black Widow was clearly not affected that much by confronting her past and finding her family since their existence isn't even mentioned in IW nor in Endgame. The central relationship in the film is the relationship between Pugh and Johansson, yet Pugh's character basically didn't exist for her story prior this movie (and canonically also not after the movie).

So while 'stakes' is the wrong word, I can see the argument for this movie possibly feeling largely pointless when it comes to its main heroine and I've seen and read multiple reviews that echo this statement. Of course, I haven't seen the movie, so maybe I'll end up disagreeing with these reviews, but it is a weird choice continuity-wise to do a movie like this now when the events in it cannot have any influence of BW's larger character development anymore.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I've seen so many trailers for this on TV in the last two weeks that I now feel like I've see at least an hour of the movie. Shit they even have a trailer / car commercial where the Black Widow drives off lmao.

Taskmaster looks like the worst part of the movie so far. Have a feeling the end credit scene will be the most exciting part of it all.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Will be a Disney+ watch for me in a few months then. Hopefully Shang-Chi is strong, since I don't have much hope for Eternals either.

Ataturk

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 25, 2021
I just saw this movie and holy fuck it's one of the most disappointing & shallow MCU flick since Iron Man 2 Thor 2.
It absolutely in my opinion doesnt deserve more than %50 RT.
Fight scenes cut too much like a TAKEN movie , any dramatically emotional moment doesnt have breathing room because they just put a joke.
And total character of TASKMASKTER is total joke.

I would recommend to see on Disney plus or netflix