• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017

uploadvr.com

Blair Witch: Oculus Quest Edition Is A Redesigned Version Of The Horror Game Built For VR

Blair Witch is back! Bloober Team, the developers of Layers of Fear VR, are back in the immersive realm with a redesigned version of their Blair Witch game built specifically for VR. Blair Witch: Oculus Quest Edition releases on October 29th for $29.99 and will come to other headsets

From the link:

The VR adaptation is being described as a "brand-new version of the Blair Witch story built specifically for the VR experience" with a "rebuilt" story and "redesigned environments." From the sounds of it this is more than just a straight port. There will be new creature encounters, sounds, and in-game events with all-new interactions like catching, throwing, and stacking objects, a marker and paper for notes, breakable tree branches, and the ability to open drawers, doors, gates, and more.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the camera mechanic will work quite well here. Was this any good on other platforms?

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like the camera mechanic will work quite well here. Was this any good on other platforms?

I can't speak for others but I actually gave up on the game a couple of hours in as it absolutely wasn't what I wanted from a Blair Witch experience. It had more in common with the recent film, all big, loud boo scares. It also had some ridiculous set-pieces thrown on top of it too and what I felt to be atrocious writing and acting (it's why I'm slightly worried about The Medium, their next horror game).

However, I'm willing to give this re-tooled, more interactive take on it a shot as I love VR.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
The pancake version was balls but the changes being made to the Quest version sounds promising. Really it would be greatly improved in general if they shaved off about half the time spent in the Witch house. After awhile that shit just sucked all the scares out with how repetitive it got. Would also be doubly disorienting with all the near constant turns in VR.

Hopefully Observer gets the VR treatment at some point, that would be a trip with the scan mode adapted for stereo 3d.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I fucking hated this game and what it did to the lore of the franchise since I am probably one of the biggest Blair Witch fans around but exploring the Parr house in VR is a proposition I just can't refuse. In.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
seems like a substantial update to the game. i wonder if the existing versions will get this update as well or not.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
A bit of a boring game. Starts off scary, and ends quite scary, but everything in between is not good. The graphics in this version seem a bit weak.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I fucking hated this game and what it did to the lore of the franchise since I am probably one of the biggest Blair Witch fans around but exploring the Parr house in VR is a proposition I just can't refuse. In.

Heh, yeah, that's kinda where I am too. Even a bad horror game in VR can have its "moments" so I'm eager to see if this is an all round better experience on the VR platform.

Oct 30, 2017
This game was terrible. I was excited to play it, but it's not scary, and it's boring.
It's the world's most boring horror funhouse ride.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
It started out pretty cool and then got sort of boring only to devolve into a terrible cliche filled story with bloober unloading their played out bag of tricks over and over for the last hour or so.

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
I've never played a bloober game before this one, and I've never seen a Blair witch movie.

I thought this was scary as hell, I finished it in a single sitting on gamepass. Honestly spooked me badly, and I play loads of horror games. VR seems like a cool addition to me.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
I've only got the bad ending but what did they do to the lore?

Wondering same. I'm a pretty big Blair Witch fan as well, but the game seemed more or less disconnected from any of the films/books to me save for a couple of references and winks. I also only got the bad ending and shelved it.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't get the exclusivity. As if the vr market is not already small enough and lacks high caliber experiences on All devices/platforms. I own a rift s. I could have convinced myself to play this on Halloween.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get the exclusivity. As if the vr market is not already small enough and lacks high caliber experiences on All devices/platforms. I own a rift s. I could have convinced myself to play this on Halloween.

I don't think it's normal exclusivity in this case. Just going where the market is first.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coming FIRST to Quest, it will be on PCVR eventually, but mostly like Oculus threw them some money.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've only got the bad ending but what did they do to the lore?
Wondering same. I'm a pretty big Blair Witch fan as well, but the game seemed more or less disconnected from any of the films/books to me save for a couple of references and winks. I also only got the bad ending and shelved it.
The game takes a lot of cues from the dreadful 2016 film while also negating or muddling many of the additions that it made to the lore, meaning that any sort of consistency in the world is basically thrown out the window.

• Rustin Parr was a fairly notable figure because he was one of the few tangible examples of the witch's influence. There were books and documentaries dedicated solely to him and his victims that expanded on him and how rare it was for the outside world to see the corrupting influence of the witch be actualized. The game proposes that there's an equally notable and prolific serial killer, Carver, who we have simply never seen mentioned before despite this game taking place two years after the events of the original film. Parr is mentioned in Blair Witch 2016 and in plenty of the accompanying materials like Curse of the Blair Witch and The Massacre of the Burkettsville Seven, but no mention of a similar figure that apparently also nabbed victims and murdered them in a fashion that was remarkably similar to that of Parr. It's an addition that makes zero sense.

• In Blair Witch 2016, we're told about the massive search parties that searched for Heather, Josh and Mike following their disappearances. Those search parties, as many do, surely included police dogs that were tasked with searching for traces of the missing students. At no point do any of those dogs pick up on the malevolent forces of the woods, yet this game insists that Bullet, just an ordinary police dog, is the key to helping you detect activity as this game insists upon using the "animals detect ghosts" trope. This is a bit of a nit-pick, sure, but it stuck in my craw.

• Blair Witch 2016 already went way too far by actually showing creatures but this game took things to another level of absurdity. Essentially, this game proposes that there are now anthropomorphic stick figure creatures? If we take the 2016 film's word for it, which unfortunately we have to as this is considered cannon, the bevy of creatures we have seen are all evocative of Elly Kedward with the pale skin and elongated limbs but we are never shown stick figure creatures, nor have they ever been documented in the lore. These are new creations for the game and have never been seen, or even speculated about, outside of the game. Aside from the absurd nature of showing monsters in Blair Witch to begin with, at least the 2016 movie had the decency of showing us monsters that resembled a creature that was already firmly established within the universe. These creatures exist solely because... well, sticks! They're made of sticks, like the stick figures!

• The stick figures... yeah, this is one hell of a confusing bit. In the game, you're given the option of avoiding the various stick figures or interacting with them by crushing them. In the original film, these were simply totems that were effectively signs showing the progression of the witch as it inched closer and closer to Heather, Mike and Josh. In the 2016 film, the stick figures are revealed to have voodoo doll properties and crushing a stick figure that is wrapped up with a character's hair directly leads to the death of that character. In this game, we are never directly shown what is happening when we crush the stick figures, though we are vaguely directed to avoid crushing them as this "increases the witch's influence." Are these figures connected to people trapped in the woods? Are we killing them as we crush these figures? Are these figures somehow just supposed to be allowing the witch to get closer to us? If so, why were Heather, Mike and Josh all taken by the witch despite them having never crushed the stick figures? They didn't "increase the witch's influence." I guess it doesn't really matter if you crush them or not because the game's "good ending" involves you getting murdered by Carver regardless, a man who is led by/driven insane by the witch, so the witch will win out regardless of whether or not you interact with the figures and "increase her influence."

• In Blair Witch 2016, we are given an eleventh hour twist that shows that time is cyclical in the Black Hills Forest, resetting and repeating on some sort of indeterminable cycle. In the 2016 film, this is represented by a flash seen outside of a window when the reset occurs and when we realize that the footage that lured our protagonists to the forest was actually their own footage taken at the end of the film. Interesting idea, sure. It also explains how the Parr house simultaneously exists and ceases to exist within the Black Hills Forest so that's nice. In this game, we are shown time dilation when using... a camcorder. The time dilation occurs whenever Ellis rewinds or fast-forwards through specific tapes, not solely on a whim, or when the forest "resets" with a flash of light. Are we to believe that the time dilation is actually occurring due to tapes and a camcorder? Is it occurring due to the tapes, camcorder AND the forest resetting time? This is never made clear but it poses a lot of questions that the game simply never bothers answering.
I could probably pick out a few more examples but I think these are probably sufficient for now. The biggest issue with the game is that it's basically proposing that the only rules in the Black Hills Forest is that there are no rules, the witch can do whatever she wants depending on any given situation, and any sort of patterns or historically documented occurrences in the Black Hills Forest basically had no rhyme or reason and that everything that occurred in those instances simply played out the way they did because that was just the way that the witch decided to fuck with people that day. This is incredibly disheartening for fans of the franchise and its lore who have spent years pouring over the three major films, four television specials, three previously released video games and seven accompanying books to try and parse out the details of the occurrences in the woods and gain an understanding of the witch and the way she works. It's just a giant mess of retcons and careless new additions to the world of the franchise all done so that Bloober Team can tell a sloppily and tastelessly done narrative about a man with PTSD, his dog and load it up with cheap jump scares. It's a complete and total disaster.

Last edited:

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Coming FIRST to Quest, it will be on PCVR eventually, but mostly like Oculus threw them some money.
I am aware of the wording. I would still like to play this on Halloween. I don't get why the Quest gets this for the spooky season and not the rift. Same company. This is not a customer first approach.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am aware of the wording. I would still like to play this on Halloween. I don't get why the Quest gets this for the spooky season and not the rift. Same company. This is not a customer first approach.

Facebook isn't a customer first company lol, they got a new headset to sell.

Jan 4, 2018
Loved this game. Blair Witch has the most creepy forest ever made in my eyes. Exploring it in VR will make it even better.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
So this is out now.

Has anyone had chance to check it out?