iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
I'm blind LOL. It's simple but super effective and came out nicely.

An NPR style I really want to experiment with someday is the Mignola/Hellboy look with the inverted line art in shadow. I know some games like The Wolf Among Us pull this off and I've messed around with it on the Knight guy but it's high time I actually attempt it for real. I've been wanting to do this since like late 2017. So way back when I didn't even know how to use blender ☠️

yAK41ZS.png

Some people have done insane things in this style. Like to think this is 3D is insane, honestly.

qHNN02E.jpg

This is absolutely beautiful and so so impressive

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
I've never used this before but I'm interested to learn.
Question do you make assets in this or in another program and then they're animated in this program?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I've never used this before but I'm interested to learn.
Question do you make assets in this or in another program and then they're animated in this program?
You can make assets in blender and animate directly in it. You can do most everything in blender at this point tbh, though blender being a jack of all trades, master of none means it's not going to hold a candle to the more specialized programs like ZBrush (sculpting) and Houdini (VFX/sim) for those purposes. It's good enough for your average hobbyist.

Last edited:

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
What's this for if you don't mind me asking?
It started out as a simple terrain generator test. Take a depth map using generated noise or an image and turn it into a map with hexagons or squares.

MdhlZOw.png

When I fed the height information into the shader and played around with it, things started to get more abstract.

0AnzFtH.png

And since then I've been adding more and more abstract options. Now I have hexagon or square columns, I have floating faces, I have cubes, I have spheres, and I can even use any object I want, but that can get computationally rough unless it's really low poly.

6C58Jv3.png

And then recently I figured out how to apply colors from an image on a per-object level. Every instance is basically a pixel in the image or video I add. I can increase or decrease the resolution and they'll scale smoothly and remain solid.

So now I can flatten it out and plug any image or video into the system and play with the style and resolution as wanted.

ihyP8FF.png

As for what it's for? I dunno yet. I have ideas, but for now it's mostly a collection of features that keeps growing as I work with it and something new comes to mind. My list of features I'd scrawed out over time was finally finished last night, and today a new list of 5 more additions or changes came to mind.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
It started out as a simple terrain generator test. Take a depth map using generated noise or an image and turn it into a map with hexagons or squares.

MdhlZOw.png

When I fed the height information into the shader and played around with it, things started to get more abstract.

0AnzFtH.png

And since then I've been adding more and more abstract options. Now I have hexagon or square columns, I have floating faces, I have cubes, I have spheres, and I can even use any object I want, but that can get computationally rough unless it's really low poly.

6C58Jv3.png

And then recently I figured out how to apply colors from an image on a per-object level. Every instance is basically a pixel in the image or video I add. I can increase or decrease the resolution and they'll scale smoothly and remain solid.

So now I can flatten it out and plug any image or video into the system and play with the style and resolution as wanted.

ihyP8FF.png

As for what it's for? I dunno yet. I have ideas, but for now it's mostly a collection of features that keeps growing as I work with it and something new comes to mind. My list of features I'd scrawed out over time was finally finished last night, and today a new list of 5 more additions or changes came to mind.
Damn that's rad. I see this and immediately think Etch A Sketch/Magic Writer/those magnetic drawing boards for some reason 😭

Geometry nodes are so cool man. Huge blind spot for me but I think I should change that soon. Don't know how complex this would be but throwing together some modular assets and making a few procedural buildings sounds like fun. Or even something as basic as a ladder/fence with dynamic length. I think for me, I have trouble wrapping my head around just how crazy you can get with the nodes. Same deal with Houdini.

Last edited:

Nymir

Oct 27, 2017
I hate to resurrect the thread to plug myself shamelessly but I would really like some feedback on my work. Wall of text incoming.

I'm the kind of person that if left alone would probably keep to himself and just share my project with a few close friends but my boyfriend kind of pushed me to come out of my shell and share what I've done with more people (he was actually the one that introduced to this world to begin with).

So I've made a YouTube video collecting all the projects that I've worked on in my first year with Blender and at the end of the day I'm actually proud of the amount of effort I put in, even if the result itself might be lacking. I never really considered the world of 3D Art something that would jive with me but once I've started it really become an important part of my life. Following courses, learning the basics or sometimes just doodling became almost therapeutic in a way.

So I'll drop the link and any feedback is truly appreciated

https://youtu.be/rqTu4rs_I4M

Also I want to make absolutely clear that most of my projects are based on following along with existing courses, I tried to make it clear in the video, there's a disclaimer at the start and link in the description to all of them. So I can't fully take credit for some aspects of the end result, a lot of the merit (most of it?) belongs to the teachers...which for my first year of practice was mostly Grant Abbitt, bless him.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I hate to resurrect the thread to plug myself shamelessly but I would really like some feedback on my work. Wall of text incoming.

I'm the kind of person that if left alone would probably keep to himself and just share my project with a few close friends but my boyfriend kind of pushed me to come out of my shell and share what I've done with more people (he was actually the one that introduced to this world to begin with).

So I've made a YouTube video collecting all the projects that I've worked on in my first year with Blender and at the end of the day I'm actually proud of the amount of effort I put in, even if the result itself might be lacking. I never really considered the world of 3D Art something that would jive with me but once I've started it really become an important part of my life. Following courses, learning the basics or sometimes just doodling became almost therapeutic in a way.

So I'll drop the link and any feedback is truly appreciated

https://youtu.be/rqTu4rs_I4M

Also I want to make absolutely clear that most of my projects are based on following along with existing courses, I tried to make it clear in the video, there's a disclaimer at the start and link in the description to all of them. So I can't fully take credit for some aspects of the end result, a lot of the merit (most of it?) belongs to the teachers...which for my first year of practice was mostly Grant Abbitt, bless him.
Good stuff, Grant Abbitt is super chill. Glad to see a traditional donut in there!

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Well I am having an absolutely awful time. After watching hours of tutorials, hounded chatGPT to hell and back and any googling has not solved my obviously fundamental issue.

So I'm giving up, making a post, and hoping for a chuckle and a little hair tussle from someone in the know.

Why can't I modify multiple objects at the same time? What am I missing?

A prime example is found at this timestamp: https://youtu.be/OlnkGCdtGEw?t=296

I'm trying to twist the bricks like shown in the video. And as clearly visibly in the clip, ALL the damn bricks are affected simultaneously by the modifier (including where the presenter does it "incorrectly", for effect, by having the twist happen along the wrong axis).

All that happens on my side is that only ONE brick twists.

Sorry for my pissy attitude but I'm really faced with one of the following disheartening facts. 1. I'm stupid. 2. I can't google if my life depended on it. 3. I can't follow basic instructions and/or am UI blind.

If I use box select, or press "A" or whatever else basic thing I've tried, it doesn't really apply these things to all my objects. And this isn't the only scenario, I seem to fail all the time with this at every spot. Another example, albeit perhaps slightly different, I wanted to create a pseudo rubics cube (in reality just a cube of 3x3x3 cubes).

I do the following: shift A, add mesh, cube. Shift d, copy and restrict to an axis. Cool. Do that again now I have 3 nice. Now I want to copy these 3 and move them all at the same time. Ez pz, shift d, nice now I'll change transform > location data for the right axis, change it by 1 woops only moves one out of the 3 damn cubes.

*deep breath*

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

MacOS, Blender version 3.6.4

Please...

Roquentin

Oct 29, 2017
Well I am having an absolutely awful time. After watching hours of tutorials, hounded chatGPT to hell and back and any googling has not solved my obviously fundamental issue.

So I'm giving up, making a post, and hoping for a chuckle and a little hair tussle from someone in the know.

I'm trying to twist the bricks like shown in the video. And as clearly visibly in the clip, ALL the damn bricks are affected simultaneously by the modifier (including where the presenter does it "incorrectly", for effect, by having the twist happen along the wrong axis).

Sorry for my pissy attitude but I'm really faced with one of the following disheartening facts. 1. I'm stupid. 2. I can't google if my life depended on it. 3. I can't follow basic instructions and/or am UI blind.

If I use box select, or press "A" or whatever else basic thing I've tried, it doesn't really apply these things to all my objects. And this isn't the only scenario, I seem to fail all the time with this at every spot. Another example, albeit perhaps slightly different, I wanted to create a pseudo rubics cube (in reality just a cube of 3x3x3 cubes).

I do the following: shift A, add mesh, cube. Shift d, copy and restrict to an axis. Cool. Do that again now I have 3 nice. Now I want to copy these 3 and move them all at the same time. Ez pz, shift d, nice now I'll change transform > location data for the right axis, change it by 1 woops only moves one out of the 3 damn cubes.

*deep breath*

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

MacOS, Blender version 3.6.4

Please...
Try switching into the Edit Mode (with Tab) before duplicating the cube.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017

Cause he's not modifying multiple objects. All those bricks are still one object cause he created them in edit mode of the first brick. So he added more bricks to the same single object. If you look at the outliner in the video there's only one cube still.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Try switching into the Edit Mode (with Tab) before duplicating the cube.

Cause he's not modifying multiple objects. All those bricks are still one object cause he created them in edit mode of the first brick. So he added more bricks to the same single object. If you look at the outliner in the video there's only one cube still.

Thank you both. It was absolutely this, to no one else's shocks I assume lol. Obviously, I am brand spanking new to this I didn't know that these operators (?) like Copy were context/mode (?) sensitive and surprisingly IIRC none of the beginner tutorials I watched mentioned this.

Learning new stuff is always so humbling. Thinking "yeah I can do this blender 101 wood block stool" and then "why can't I select these objects" comes crashing down on me.

Thanks again.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been a casual Blender user for the past year and a half or so and I've been looking to get a bit more well versed in some of the more advanced tools, starting with Geometry Nodes. In the past week I've been trying to wrap my head around them and.... gods, I just don't get a lot of this. I understand the general concept of how they work, and I have an idea of what one can accomplish with nodes, and I can pretty easily copy others' work in setting up nodes and intuit some of what's happening in their systems based on how the nodes are interacting, but creating my own systems to achieve my own ends feels absolutely impossible at this point. I just don't have the sort of brain for this sort of logic circuit plotting... I think part of it is that there's so many node types and it feels like I'd need a year to wrap my head around what each and every node does and how they can relate to other nodes, but it also feels like there are certain concepts and parameters at play here that I just don't have a basic understanding of yet.

I've checked out a few youtube videos on the subject to begin to understand it all and even that feels sort of daunting because there's a ton of them and many of them seem too broad while others feel way too targeted. Seems like a tough thing to learn because as a system it's so open-ended yet so meticulous, if that makes any sense. If anyone's got any good tutorials, youtube videos, etc they could recommend for understanding some of the more nuanced concepts at play in Geo Nodes I'd love to take a look.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Been a casual Blender user for the past year and a half or so and I've been looking to get a bit more well versed in some of the more advanced tools, starting with Geometry Nodes. In the past week I've been trying to wrap my head around them and.... gods, I just don't get a lot of this. I understand the general concept of how they work, and I have an idea of what one can accomplish with nodes, and I can pretty easily copy others' work in setting up nodes and intuit some of what's happening in their systems based on how the nodes are interacting, but creating my own systems to achieve my own ends feels absolutely impossible at this point. I just don't have the sort of brain for this sort of logic circuit plotting... I think part of it is that there's so many node types and it feels like I'd need a year to wrap my head around what each and every node does and how they can relate to other nodes, but it also feels like there are certain concepts and parameters at play here that I just don't have a basic understanding of yet.

I've checked out a few youtube videos on the subject to begin to understand it all and even that feels sort of daunting because there's a ton of them and many of them seem too broad while others feel way too targeted. Seems like a tough thing to learn because as a system it's so open-ended yet so meticulous, if that makes any sense. If anyone's got any good tutorials, youtube videos, etc they could recommend for understanding some of the more nuanced concepts at play in Geo Nodes I'd love to take a look.
I assume you're already familiar with CGMatter / Default Cube? If not, oh boy!

And a much smaller channel I haven't watched any of yet but was recommended in a twitch stream I was watching the other day so it's fresh in my mind - might be good, might be awful... looks decent tho!

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I assume you're already familiar with CGMatter / Default Cube? If not, oh boy!

And a much smaller channel I haven't watched any of yet but was recommended in a twitch stream I was watching the other day so it's fresh in my mind - might be good, might be awful... looks decent tho!

That first youtuber was actually the very first "beginner nodes" tutorial creator I checked out! I only saw one of his though so I'll definitely go a bit deeper in with his stuff.

Haven't seen any from the twitch-recommended youtube account, but looking into their range of videos it looks like they cover a lot of different uses for nodes so that's definitely a bookmark too. Thanks so much for the quick response!! I'm actually getting a little bit better at trying node connections due to certain hunches I'm having so I'm happy to say there's been a little progress today just from trial and error.

Dec 17, 2022
This is going to be such a silly question, and I plan to get more into Blender and learn it to try and attempt this and move into dev.

I just want to know if this is possible on the program...
I'd like to make a character, but have the render appear as though this character is highly detailed pixel art, like so, with typical ridged pixel black outline(s):

169706-2.gif

I watched the video below recently and thought it may be possible, but wasn't sure to what degree, and if I should just move on to something else:

View: https://youtu.be/eSqb6II3WMM?si=cIEOzLL91topGI22

Edit: I'll probably need to move this to the eventual "Blender 4.0" thread.

Edit 2: I realize this is a common practice and used in everything from Dead Cells to most modern pixel games to cut down on the frames needed to be created by hand. I suppose I just need to customize the render settings and material or use eevee. Sorry for the silly quesrion… still learning 😩

Last edited: