Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
Okay so now I just wonder if I can still buy this next season, they need a graph or FAQ explaining how its gonna work lol.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
So it's essentially $5 bucks if you were buying the battle pass anyway, since it gives you the credits you need to do so at the very least. I'm really curious what the XP payout is for 30 minute missions vs 10 minute payload stomps etc in QP

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
You can still play these missions for free. These bundles are for permanent access. If they are as insignificant as some here think, you'll have no use for permanent access. Play them once for story and move on.

I think the permanent access mean you keep them even after the season is over, i don't think they are free or else it will be in the blog post.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised you have to pay for this separately not going to lie. I figured it'd be either included with the season pass or just outright free to try and get more people into the lore and game then maybe charge for the next ones.

I'd have maybe been interested in trying it for free for example. Paid though? No thanks. Just not that interested in Overwatch anymore and that's not convincing me otherwise.

Edit: So maybe it's free but the wording isn't really clear either way? Typical Blizz I guess.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
If you buy battle pass it's 5 more dollars. I think that's fair to keep the funding going for such an old game.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Just demonstrates how horrendously overpriced the skins are if a 30 minute co-op campaign sets you back $15.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still love the heck out of playing Overwatch, but I'm routinely shocked at how poorly the communicate the economy of their game. First it was the credits vs coin -- what you can spend on what, what credits look like on the BP, if you'll ever be able to buy OW2 stuff with credits by, say waiting a year.

In this case: Do you have to buy the missions to play them this season? Or is the word "permanent" just there to highlight how you keep what you've bought--stuff you cannot access otherwise?
Can you buy them separately from a bundle?

Both seem like really important, fundamental questions to answer!

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I will wait to see how the missions are received. If they are good, I will probably pony up the cash.

There is no way I am blindly giving Blizzard any money for Overwatch right now.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
So am i not understanding this or are PvE missions not free at all? Not even during the season when they are released?? You get permanent access if you pay, but if you don't you can't access these missions AT ALL?

Last edited:

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
Iirc, they always said that the PvE / story content would be paid regardless of if you owned the first game or not. All owning the first game did was get you access to its heroes.

yeah and they didn't even let OW1 owners keep access to all new heroes either. still have to unlock them, lol.

lairo

May 28, 2020
I seriously have no idea what they're selling anymore, so many microtransactions and botched announcements have diluted whatever product is coming out, I can't imagine this is going to sell much if at all, and people can't care less about the lore nowadays. How they massacred my boy indeed. Better go play Zelda instead.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
Their communication is so unnecessarily complicated.

So if I understand correctly:
- You get access to the three missions for free but it's only for the time the event lasts (and maybe you need to pay for the Battle Pass to unlock?)
- Pay 15 bucks to get access to the three missions but it's permanent access, and you get enough credits to buy the Battle Pass and you get a legendary skin. If you didn't get Sojourn yet, you'll get her at the end of the missions (kinda dumb because heroes are easy to unlock for free anyway, but I guess the more ways the better)
- Pay 40 bucks and you get permanent access to the three missions, 2000 credits, the Battle Pass and three legendary skins in total.

I really don't understand the mid tier. It feels so useless. They should've just kept it simple at buy the Battle Pass at 10 USD for seasonal access, or pay 15 USD for the Battle Pass + permanent access + legendary skin. The whole credits system is too convulated, nobody wants to start doing maths on a simple purchase.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Crazy how we lost the full retail product we paid for, so we get this revolving door of micro payments.

$19/$38 value for a skins, says who?

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
what the actual fuck lol
they're not replayable missions (not in the hero mode sense) even, making the payment worse
they really be asking you to go and youtube them

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Regardless of whether Blizzard's approach to this game is good, it never ceases to amaze me that every single time they take an action they've been communicating they would take for years, people are completely blindsided by it. From the day OW2 was announced, the story content was pitched as something you pay extra for.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Huh, somehow I didn't expect the PVE missions to cost money. Or maybe they don't necessarily cost money? Everything about OW2 continues to confuse me.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Seems like a pretty okay deal if you're already invested in Overwatch or are planning to be.
Yeah, it's gonna sell incredibly well.

It's pretty much the price of a movie ticket. $15 gives you permanent access to the story missions, 1000 coins people can buy that Season's Battle Pass with, and a Sojourn skin the season after her cinematic drops.

Players are already buying skins for $20, this'll be nothing for those engaged and invested in the game. I think they're done trying to appeal to those who have already walked away from the game anyways.

Last edited:

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
Regardless of whether Blizzard's approach to this game is good, it never ceases to amaze me that every single time they take an action they've been communicating they would take for years, people are completely blindsided by it. From the day OW2 was announced, the story content was pitched as something you pay extra for.

The have always said that the PvE would be paid, but the PvE they promised was also completely different. It`s like promising Skyrim and delivering Don`t Shit Your Pants. It`s not shocking that people might be willing to pay for one, but not the other.

Qark-Voss

Apr 22, 2022
Ok so practically the permanent access to PVE missions is 5€... Not bad, I can deal with it.

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
They have the audacity to charge for this after cancelling most of it and lying about it?

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ok premium BP + skin + permanent missions + 10€ in coins for 15€ is actually alright.
Still sucks, but I'll take what I can with OW

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I think they cost if you want them forever
Even tho. It's not 100% clear, Forbes says that they are totally paywalled:

www.forbes.com/sites/krisholt/2023/06/12/overwatch-2-pve-story-missions-pay-to-play-invasion-bundle

You are not able to access PvE at all unless you pay for it.

I feel like not everyone expected them to be free, i get that but majority expected the missions to be in the BP at least. So you get the premium BP and you unlock the PvE missions. What Blizzard did is another slap in the face to the players!

Cracksun

Sep 2, 2022
Spain

www.forbes.com/sites/krisholt/2023/06/12/overwatch-2-pve-story-missions-pay-to-play-invasion-bundle

I feel like not everyone expected them to be free, i get that but majority expected the missions to be in the BP at least. So you get the premium BP and you unlock the PvE missions. What Blizzard did is another slap in the face to the players!
Lmao then fuck it.
They are going to charge 15€ every 2-4 months lol... I will probably just wait for a bundle or gamepass

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Trend I'll never get: squashing narrative/'PvE' into MP games. It's clearly really popular, but it's never felt very interesting for me. The PvE stuff I played in Apex, for instance, was an absolute shadow of the fun I had in normal MP.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017

Blizzard never indicated they'd be part of the BP or Free. Anyone with that expectation just assumed. That's frankly also not their fault because Blizzard waited until a 1 season before the story mission release to announce it. They could have done better, but I don't see how they slapped anyone in the face with regards to the pricing.

Canas Renvall

Mar 4, 2018
Wait, so the PVE isn't canceled, but it's broken into small chunks instead of a full expansion like they billed it as? They always said it was gonna be paid, but $15 for three missions???

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
If you really have to pay for this then playing with Randoms is dead after two weeks.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
It is absolutely wild they are putting all of this info out for Season 6 when Season 5 launches today.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Prince doesn't seem thaaat bad but these mission are likely super short and not that replayable as usual so I dunno. Easier decision if you're a regular player who plans to buy a 1000 credit battlepass in the future anyways, then it's just $5 for a couple of hours of good OW coop fun with friends.

Dammit it frustrates me how Overwatch is this incredible magical thing when it comes to gameplay, characters, visuals, etc but then they completely screw it over with the monetization and content distribution/delivery.

In my dream world MS finishes the purchase, and Phil saves Overwatch somehow.

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I don't hate the price on the cheaper pack, but I have to chuckle at them applying a "value" to the skin. If you don't use the character, it's worthless to you.

Luneth

Aug 5, 2020
Ok I also thought they got rid of the story missions, great to know they are still coming, I'm in again. Do we know if the missions can be played single player and/or offline?

procello

May 1, 2023
This seems pretty reasonable to me -- given the battlepass is usually $10, paying $5 for three missions sounds like a pretty good deal. Really does highlight how overpriced their shop skins are, though. If they do a couple of these mission drops a year w/ similar pricing I think the game will be in a pretty good spot.

Cheat Code

Oct 30, 2017
Blizzard would charge you per log-in if they could.

Charging actual money for a level you will play once and then never touch again lmao