Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
IGN
At its core, Blood & Truth is a first-person shooter. You'll run across rooftops gunning down thugs, blow open doors with explosives, take out a warehouse full of criminals, and survive a high-speed car chase, to name a few. In typical VR fashion, though, it's not just the frantic, video-gamey stuff that's super fun to execute; VR manages to also make seemingly mundane things like picking a lock, opening a car's glove compartment or flinging a clipboard across the room totally interesting, too. One of my favorite moments in the demo was sitting shotgun alongside my in-game partner and firing at bad guys as we drove and bantered, like some sort of vintage buddy cop movie. It made me want an entire PSVR game centered around two friends on a road trip.
The controls were tight, for the most part. Aiming and shooting felt great, as did reloading my gun (by motioning to push a clip from my left hand into the bottom of the gun in my right hand) as well as strafing, pushing forward through the games' increasingly chaotic set pieces, and holstering my weapons when things calmed down. Only when I ended up dual wielding a handgun and a submachine gun during a highspeed car chase - and subsequently struggled to reload either gun without a free hand - did things get a bit cumbersome, but that was probably entirely my own fault for being ambitious.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/04/02/7-psvr-2019-games-we-cant-wait-to-play

Press Start
You can basically go from cover to cover point using the PlayStation Move controller. You can also move side to side using the X and O buttons on the Move controller. It definitely feels like a different game to The London Heist in these moments and I'm not sure if I loved these specific parts as much as the massive set pieces where you're stuck to the one spot taking out enemies, but they were still fun to play through and required a decent amount of accuracy using the gun sights. As with The London Heist, the shooting mechanic still feels phenomenal and is one of the best experiences you can have in VR.

There's some pretty clever things being done with the PlayStation Move controllers. For instance, reloading is still done by putting your left Move controller up to the bottom of your right hand (although it feels much smoother than it did in The London Heist). You also essentially pull out your pistol by putting your PlayStation Move controller to your hip, or grab your assault rifle by reaching over the back of your shoulder, so there's some more realistic movements that work well on-screen and add to immersion.

There were also several times where I'd use both my PlayStation Move controllers to picklock open a door. At first it felt a little bit clunky, but this was probably because I wasn't really expecting the game to use such intricate details, but once I got the hang of it, it definitely worked, which has me excited to see what other mechanics the game will hold.
https://press-start.com.au/previews/2019/04/02/blood-and-truth-vr-hands-on-preview/

Venturebeat
I have seen several versions of Blood & Truth over the years, as Sony's SIE London Studio has been making the game for a long time. It was originally based on The London Heist demo on the PlayStation VR Worlds disc. You mimic the motions of holstering, pulling out your weapons, loading them, and shooting as you would do in real life. The whole idea is to be an action hero in a full-fledged game in VR.
https://venturebeat.com/2019/04/02/blood-truth-hands-on-a-vr-shooting-gallery-on-rails/

playstationlifestyle
I asked Iain about the movement system being used, and in order to limit any VR user side effects, he said they employed a system that gives you set points to work from with a quick movement system. You can strafe between some of these during a firefight, but most are point-and-click spots that you'll move to as needed. The system worked very well and allowed me to take out the bad guys safely while staying in cover and popping out to shoot. Movement transitions were very smooth and gave the game military like precision when it came to advancing on the enemy. That military precision can be explained by the fact that they had an actual SAS soldier advising them during the development process.
That same soldier also helped with terminology when it came to the script for voice actors, and hearing the chatter between your character and the soldier you rescue bears this out. The studio also had a Hollywood consultant to help create the overall game script, so that should make for a great story.

The weapons for the demo were limited to just one pistol and one assault rifle, but these two could be dual wielded for twice the fun. While picking locks, I had to holster the weapons and this was a simple process of miming out the actual holstering of the pistol or slinging the rifle over my shoulder. Reloading also required miming the actual motions needed and started with grabbing a fresh magazine off of my chest and then jamming it home into whichever weapon I was using
https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2019/04/02/blood-and-truth-vr-psvr-london-hands-on/#/slide/1

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm glad they kept the point and move system. It works really well in FPS games, and the player feels comfortable throughout a VR gaming session.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is going to be great.

The London Heist was fun, but not quite there. Blood & Truth will take it to the next level.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Aiming and shooting felt great, as did reloading my gun

the shooting mechanic still feels phenomenal and is one of the best experiences you can have in VR.

You mimic the motions of holstering, pulling out your weapons, loading them, and shooting as you would do in real life.

Movement transitions were very smooth and gave the game military like precision when it came to advancing on the enemy.

Day one :D

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it could be a really fun game. Not something that will win GOTY awards but something that's intense, fast paced and fun to play throughout. London Heist was a cool appetizer that gave me thirst for more.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Did not have much to quote with Venturebeat they just gave a mini walkthrough of what they played lol

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Upload VR hands on - Blood & Truth is shaping up to be a true PSVR blockbuster

https://uploadvr.com/hands-on-blood-truth-is-shaping-up-to-be-a-true-psvr-blockbuster/

Overall I've got to say that I really wish there were more games like Blood & Truth in VR with clear, deliberate pacing, great action set pieces, and insanely good voice acting performances. The facial animations are great too. This may not have the massive world and interactivity that VR gamers have come to expect from so many other titles, but it delivers such a pure shot of focused and intense adrenaline at every step I don't even care.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
This, iron Man, that hawk game, no man's sky, and the giant one.

I don't think we've had that many games of this quality in the pipe before. Huge difference. It's been said many times now. PS VR as like PS1. We've only been playing first wave games.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
PSVR is off to one heck of a year news wise it seems. This is also sounding like a very good game

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
This, iron Man, that hawk game, no man's sky, and the giant one.

I don't think we've had that many games of this quality in the pipe before. Huge difference. It's been said many times now. PS VR as like PS1. We've only been playing first wave games.

Don't forget Trover saves the Universe if you have nothing against dirty and weird humor.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Can't wait.

Great trailer as well, looks like it's got a lot of humor and charm. And yeah VR takes things like picking locks and makes them interesting on their own.

Mailbox

Oct 30, 2017
While I fully expect people to be bothered by the lack of full locomotion, I still expect this game to be good in its own right.

I don't think this will be another Bravo Team situation.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Gonna be a good ass year for VR. One of the cool things about being into a young emerging gaming medium like this is everybody's "top 10 VR games of all time" lists are probably wildly different year to year.