• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you feel you can't get out of the way of the AoE in time, then do nothing - That is, you take counter [extra] damage when hit during an action. If you are running, jumping, in attack animation or fail a dodge roll you take more damage than just standing still. Counter damage is a bitch in BB. You'll still get hit of course, but not for as much damage.
This is good to know, I did not know this. I partially cheesed the boss using a Flamesprayer tip I found online. In actuality I messed up and he teleported away with 10% again...so I had to do the last part the hard way anyway, and I managed to! Imma get through this game!

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I just beat Rom myself and found him a lot easier than my first playthrough a year or so back. I died on my first attempt as I rushed in too quickly with a quarter of my health left, he was there for the taking I thought!

I mean he's really not that hard, it's just a case of having the room to R2 blast his sides. The spiders around him make it tough as all of his attacks are pretty easy to avoid. I just whittled them down by taking them out from behind and then with the extra room I gave Rom a whooping.

Straight after that I took out the tricky hunter that Eileen The Crow was wounded by. Now to get back go the Unseen Village!

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot believe how much this game has got me hooked again. Spent a good couple of hours today invading people in the Nightmare Frontier - it matched me within seconds. Apologies to the person who had
been pushed over by Patches and then led by yours truly to a Winter Lantern...

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Could use some advice if someone doesn't mind. I just returned to the game after finishing it just after launch. I missed Cainhurst, the Upper Cathedral Ward and never played the DLC so I have all of that to look forward to on this playthru. Trouble is I'm in NG+ and I heard the DLC is bastard-hard, I'm not particularly good at these game (only played BB and DS3), so both this time and last time I'm replaying a lot of bosses and grinding to make it slightly easier.

Do I have to grind for better gems and/or runes to stand a chance? It seems they have way more of an effect than levels in NG+. I have never even tried a CD as the concept just doesn't appeal to me. How much would I have to play them to improve my gems (which were all obtained in my first playthrough).

Also are Cainhurst and UCW any harder than the mandatory areas in the game?

Edit: It seems from reading this thread I might have difficulty getting co-op partners if I'm too high a level, I'm 143 right now and a bit worried as I might need help!

Thanks.
The DLC is tough any way, it's like end-game in terms of difficulty, so doing it in NG+ for the first time could be rough. But you are pretty high level.

I've never grinded for gems, I don't think I've ever got the highest level gems - they're not needed for PvE imo. It's still fun to play the Chalice Dungeons though - you don't have to go through every single one to see all the unique bosses and reach the end, and you don't have to play any of the randomized (Root) ones.

Cainhurst is actually a pretty easy area, but the boss can give some people a lot of trouble. UCW is a great but very short area - great atmosphere, the area is a bit tricky/annoying, bosses are one gimmicky, one iconic imo. Neither area is harder than the rest of the regular game imo.

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
When is the point of no return because The moon is red after I killed Rom. I stopped progressing and I did cainhurst castle but now I'm afraid the games about to end.

SuperSunBro

Dec 29, 2017
Is it ok that I've been having a balanced stat input for my first play through so far?

Most of the damage on weapons scale off the upgrade level and blood gems. As long as you keep upgrading and slotting in gems from the Chalice Dungeons they will be fine, and you meet the requirements. For some weapons and guns they scale off strongly off a particular stat but they tend to have high requirements as well.

Hunter tools that scale off Arcane get pretty good returns up to 60 or 70.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
The DLC is tough any way, it's like end-game in terms of difficulty, so doing it in NG+ for the first time could be rough. But you are pretty high level.

I've never grinded for gems, I don't think I've ever got the highest level gems - they're not needed for PvE imo. It's still fun to play the Chalice Dungeons though - you don't have to go through every single one to see all the unique bosses and reach the end, and you don't have to play any of the randomized (Root) ones.

Cainhurst is actually a pretty easy area, but the boss can give some people a lot of trouble. UCW is a great but very short area - great atmosphere, the area is a bit tricky/annoying, bosses are one gimmicky, one iconic imo. Neither area is harder than the rest of the regular game imo.
Thanks for the advice, beat cainhurst earlier. Raging I missed it on my first time thru, visually it was really unique to the rest of the game. Poxy platforming at the end was annoying, they should reserve that for secret areas and such, lost 150k echos.

Boss was tough, was doing really well against him and he practically 1-shotted me. Took me 3 goes in the end so not so bad I suppose.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is it ok that I've been having a balanced stat input for my first play through so far?
Balanced stats are often a poor choice in Souls games. Example: If you're not using hunter tools or a weapon that scales of Arcane, that is basically a trash stat. If you're using a weapon that scales only with strength, any points you put in to skill are a waste, etc.

I don't think you can ruin a build in these games, a few points here or there makes little difference, but dumping points in to stats you see no benefit from is pointless really. Unless you want to use a wide variety of weapons on a single playthrough and don't mind them all doing less damage - even then you need the upgrade materials for them.

Thanks for the advice, beat cainhurst earlier. Raging I missed it on my first time thru, visually it was really unique to the rest of the game. Poxy platforming at the end was annoying, they should reserve that for secret areas and such, lost 150k echos.

Boss was tough, was doing really well against him and he practically 1-shotted me. Took me 3 goes in the end so not so bad I suppose.
Great, it is a fun boss. Can be very aggressive.

Did you... (after boss spoiler/clue):

Pick up the crown that was an item drop near the lamp?... It has a use!

Last edited:

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Balanced stats are often a poor choice in Souls games. Example: If you're not using hunter tools or a weapon that scales of Arcane, that is basically a trash stat. If you're using a weapon that scales only with strength, any points you put in to skill are a waste, etc.

And yea that was probably the most aggressive boss in the game (though there's a few I haven't fought yet). What was weird is that the third time I did it relatively easily yet I didn't really change up what I was doing, it's like he didn't use any of the particularly devastating attacks that he used the first two times. Maybe I just got lucky or something.

I don't think you can ruin a build in these games, a few points here or there makes little difference, but dumping points in to stats you see no benefit from is pointless really. Unless you want to use a wide variety of weapons on a single playthrough and don't mind them all doing less damage - even then you need the upgrade materials for them.

Great, it is a fun boss. Can be very aggressive.

Did you... (after boss spoiler/clue):

Pick up the crown that was an item drop near the lamp?... It has a use!
Yes I picked it up, but then I googled what it was for as I thought I needed to give it to the hunter in the cathedral ward, I remember he mentioned Cainhurst. Turns out I wasn't far off but there are a few steps that I missed!

Since then I fought Shadow of Yarnham and Rom and am noticing NPC summons for both. Is this something to do with finishing this quest? I don't remember them first time around but it was a while ago.

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think they added in more NPC summons for some bosses after the DLC came out. None are to do with any questlines, just help for the boss fights.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's two? I only seen one.
I think one of them requires doing some of Eileen's questline, to the point where you kill the hunter Henryk. If you kill him you can summon him for the fight, and then the other summon is Younger Madaras Twin with the Impurity rune equipped. Both of the locations where you summon them is close to the boss arena if I remember right.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Oof, just ran into ol' Logarius. Only attempted him twice but got him down to 25% on my second try, so I feel like I can get him in a few more attempts. His second phase is really annoying with that thing he stabs in the ground; it feels like he keeps spamming that move every time I break it. I also only managed one parry on him, but that seems to be the winning ticket. I can probably parry his entire second phase if I can figure out the timing.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
There was no way you could miss the ones for SoY or Rom. The Amelia one was obscure enough though.

You can miss one of those for Shadows of Yharnam:

If you come down the steps from the pig, there is one right in front of you. The other is up some steps to the right where there's a gate, a snake headed enemy and some treasure. If you go left and straight to the boss fight you could miss it.

Only know it so well as it's a great boss to co-op so I've been hanging out there a lot.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Oof, just ran into ol' Logarius. Only attempted him twice but got him down to 25% on my second try, so I feel like I can get him in a few more attempts. His second phase is really annoying with that thing he stabs in the ground; it feels like he keeps spamming that move every time I break it. I also only managed one parry on him, but that seems to be the winning ticket. I can probably parry his entire second phase if I can figure out the timing.
I did him on my third try, I think I got lucky because he didn't use many magic attacks.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

If you want some tips (spoilered in case you want to try without more advice)

In the second phase he switches to melee while putting a sword in the ground. Shoot the sword just once and it will die and let you focus on Logarius who will pretty much stick to melee attacks aside from refreshing the sword at times. Makes him parry-able. His first phase is a little hard to parry because he uses a lot of magic too. He'll be tough to deal with if you don't eliminate the sword immediately.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
How do you target the sword? I couldn't figure that out while fighting him, feels like it's not targetable.

Also the run back from the bonfire is really pissing me off. Anyone who says the boss runs in this game are quick and short is lying. This and Forbidden Woods are both incredibly painful.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
How do you target the sword? I couldn't figure that out while fighting him, feels like it's not targetable.

Also the run back from the bonfire is really pissing me off. Anyone who says the boss runs in this game are quick and short is lying. This and Forbidden Woods are both incredibly painful.
Cainhurst is no where near as bad as the forbidden woods, at least it's a straight line with 2 very obvious shortcuts. As I said earlier, those tricky platforming sections should be used for secrets, not the way to a major boss.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Cainhurst is no where near as bad as the forbidden woods, at least it's a straight line with 2 very obvious shortcuts. As I said earlier, those tricky platforming sections should be used for secrets, not the way to a major boss.

Yeah I wanted to get a quick attempt on him this morning before work but ended up falling off a ledge and just turning my PS4 off. Really annoying.

Deleted member 4541

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Posting here from another thread.. thanks in advance if anyone has any info.

Does anyone have any info on the Totaku Bloodborne figure that's supposed to be releasing this month?

I didn't know about it & missed the preorder window, so now I'm desperately trying to back track & find out when they're releasing so I can (hopefully!) snag one in stores.

Oct 27, 2017
London
New to the game and on my first playthrough. The Bloodborne subreddit suggests putting points into both strength and skill at least to start with and ignoring Arcane and Bloodtinge. Is this a good idea, or should I just find out what I like using most and stick with it?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
New to the game and on my first playthrough. The Bloodborne subreddit suggests putting points into both strength and skill at least to start with and ignoring Arcane and Bloodtinge. Is this a good idea, or should I just find out what I like using most and stick with it?

If you want to use a Bloodtinge weapon those could be wasted points, because the strong mode of these weapons tend to scale only with Bloodtinge, so you're just wasting levels.
For arcane is not as bad because most Arcane weapons also scale with STR and/or SKL.
Of course, this is just with the mindset of having a choosen level cap (for higher online playerbase pool), you can level all to 99 if you want to.
Also, you can beat the game with whatever stats you level anyways, it's not a strict game in terms of stats.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017

R3 to select an enemy, then flick the right analog stick towards the sword. It doesn't always work so I usually do it without targeting, as you've more time than you think. Forbidden Woods is my least favourite but I hate that I always get hit by those blowdart guys on the Cainhurst run.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
R3 to select an enemy, then flick the right analog stick towards the sword. It doesn't always work so I usually do it without targeting, as you've more time than you think. Forbidden Woods is my least favourite but I hate that I always get hit by those blowdart guys on the Cainhurst run.

Yeah I tried flicking the stick but it wasn't working. I would much prefer that to having to run in and attack it with my sword. I'll try again next time.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017

Since this is your very first playthrough and you are asking here, then yes, ignore Arcane and Bloodtinge. Those two stats won't be of any use to you. The weapons and tools that make use of them won't be available until the back half of the game. The Saw Cleaver is the best starting weapon, and it takes advantage of both Strength and Skill being leveled up.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Also I have to say, I know the game is ~3 years old at this point, but man does it look rough in a lot of sections. Cainhurst is so barren and polygonal it hurts, and a lot of the snow effects are laughable.

If there is a Bloodborne 2, I really hope Sony gives FROM some serious help with the game engine. Given how most PS4 exclusives look, some of them with massive open worlds like Horizon, there is no reason a game like Bloodborne with tight, contained levels shouldn't look just as good if not better.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Each weapon has a rating against the corresponding stat, so if your favorite weapon has an A, B etc on the Strength icon (flexed arm), then you want to add more points in Strength.

My character is a Strength build, but I've also worked on Vitality and Endurance. My weapon of choice is the Saw Cleaver (currently +9) alongside the Blunderbuss.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
tGBKT4j.gif

Oct 25, 2017
That enemy didn't like that molotov in the face.
Obviously isn't accustomed to a Yharnam kiss.

I've been doing my 2nd playthrough and it's going faster than I thought. I'm enjoying the more challenging boss fights. It's the 2nd half of the fights that get harder since they have more health so you need to survive their onslaught for longer.

Blackbeast Paarl though... It feels like you're fighting a lion in a matchstick box. No time to breath and hard to evade its attacks consistently.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone up for helping me in some co-op and has voice chat?

I am at the Cathedral Ward. This is my second run through (got super far in my first but never finished and then started again).

Just have more fun playing co-op than doing it on my own.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After Rom, the Unseen Village...man this place is a slog. It's a complete maze. I just explored for hours and died and have no idea where I'm supposed to be going.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I already tried him twice last night, but I beat Logarius on my first try today. Fight went pretty smoothly all things considered; those parries really fuck him up if you can time them right.

This feels like a fun boss to co-op, so I may hang out on this rooftop for a while longer.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
I already tried him twice last night, but I beat Logarius on my first try today. Fight went pretty smoothly all things considered; those parries really fuck him up if you can time them right.

This feels like a fun boss to co-op, so I may hang out on this rooftop for a while longer.

Fun but then you can't do the parry spam on him. He's pretty easy to loop where you can parry spam him to death.