• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019
There won't be anything to show in the summer- major movies have already been pushed to the fall/winter. And vaccinations won't be so widespread by summer that mask mandates, social distancing limits, etc will have been removed.

Fair enough, I haven't been keeping up with movie release dates this year. The rationale applies to whenever big movies start releasing and whenever more people are vaccinated and going to movies again.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Don't spread conspiracy nonsense over something you don't understand that has been discussed to death in this thread. They couldn't play the collateral requirements to the clearinghouse, which was done over financial regulations. RH didn't do anything that a bunch of other brokers didn't do, and I still haven't heard a remotely plausible explanation why RH would do that to help hedge funds I'm with shorts rather than hedge funds that make money off of volatility, or institutional money with long positions.

The moment somebody tries to frame this as against the "Elite" is a sign that people are peddling vague BS and is a good reason to take seat and disengage.

Really, what is the hierarchy of the Elite between volatility traders, traders with short positions, and traders with long positions? I don't understand. I simply don't.

Im not an expert in how these brokerages work, but I don't fault people for being suspicious of what occured. Yes they had liquidity issues but why couldn't they have converted all transactions to 3 day settle like a cash account. Allowing sell orders still had the same issues with the clearing house yet they made the decision themselves to allow sells and not buys on the very day that the "pinch" was supposed to occur. It seems to me there were a ton of different options available but they just picked the one that benefited one group of investors more than others.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
What Robinhood did totally killed the momentum of the these stocks last week. You can tell me it's collateral issues until you're blue in the face, that's fine, but let's acknowledge that their actions had a clearly manipulative effect on these stocks last week to the benefit of the hedge funds feeling the squeeze.

I'd urge everyone to transfer out their portfolio from Robinhood. Besides being clearly mismanaged and in over their heads, they just can't be trusted to not pull this kind of thing again.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Im not an expert in how these brokerages work, but I don't fault people for being suspicious of what occured. Yes they had liquidity issues but why couldn't they have converted all transactions to 3 day settle like a cash account. Allowing sell orders still had the same issues with the clearing house yet they made the decision themselves to allow sells and not buys on the very day that the "pinch" was supposed to occur. It seems to me there were a ton of different options available but they just picked the one that benefited one group of investors more than others.

It was the collateral requirements that bit them and collateral can only be posted from RH"s money- they are legally not allowed to use client money for collateral.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if you are actually wanting to "gamble" on stocks a bit, AMC is a decent choice once this hype dies down. AMC has a good chance of making a strong comeback once summer nears. Many people were concerned with whether AMC would survive even with a strong post-COVID comeback, but they used this meme stock sensation to pay down their debt, which was a big concern for them even before COVID. Meanwhile, Gamestop, as far as I can tell, didn't really try to use this craze to their advantage, probably for legal reasons? I'm not really sure.

Now, AMC is probably not going to ever skyrocket like GME did, but its stock price should organically jump once people start going to the movies again.

Obligatory this is not financial advice, I've just gotten really interested in all of this the last few weeks.
Yeah my post was in error in regards to AMC. I do think they have a future. Buying GME at the moment however would be supremely stupid.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, if you are actually wanting to "gamble" on stocks a bit, AMC is a decent choice once this hype dies down. AMC has a good chance of making a strong comeback once summer nears. Many people were concerned with whether AMC would survive even with a strong post-COVID comeback, but they used this meme stock sensation to pay down their debt, which was a big concern for them even before COVID. Meanwhile, Gamestop, as far as I can tell, didn't really try to use this craze to their advantage, probably for legal reasons? I'm not really sure.

Now, AMC is probably not going to ever skyrocket like GME did, but its stock price should organically jump once people start going to the movies again.

Obligatory this is not financial advice, I've just gotten really interested in all of this the last few weeks.
I got some AMC last week, and since I didn't make any quick bucks off of it, I'm just going to hold onto it for a while and see what happens.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
AMC is not a meme stock and actually has a future post-COVID.

Does it? Cinema was dying far before COVID. Not that there will never be any demand for movie theater/movie theater experience post-COVID, but many people/households were turning to streaming.

I suspect there will be a period of reinvigoration post-COVID as people make up for being cooped up in their homes by going out with others (we'll see a boom in airline industry, hotel, hospitality, restaurants, entertainment groups, theme parks, movie theaters, concerts, etc), but it's going to be temporary.

You're coming across downright angry lol. AMC is not GME. It also hasn't been in the single digits for months. Why are you convinced that it should be less than $10 a share.

Edit: Beignet nailed it.

Not really.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the arm chair wolfs of wall street come out of the woodwork anytime one of these threads come up lol.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Does it? Cinema was dying far before COVID. Not that there will never be any demand for movie theater/movie theater experience post-COVID, but many people/households were turning to streaming.

I suspect there will be a period of reinvigoration post-COVID as people make up for being cooped up in their homes by going out with others (we'll see a boom in airline industry, hotel, hospitality, restaurants, entertainment groups, theme parks, movie theaters, concerts, etc), but it's going to be temporary.

Not really.
? Not really sure this is saying anything.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
AMC was a decent investment/lotto ticket like 2 weeks ago when it was trading around $2. As expected, premiums have taken a dive. Too risky for me for theta gang tactics.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
? Not really sure this is saying anything.

Step 1: google "AMC stock price"
Step 2: under market summary, set range to "max"
Step 3: observe graph
Step 4: google "AMC news 2019"
Step 5: form opinion on AMC's future

There might be going concern now thanks to the meme inflation but what's the rationale for it being anything but temporary?

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Step 1: google "AMC stock price"
Step 2: under market summary, set range to "max"
Step 3: observe graph
Step 4: google "AMC news 2019"
Step 5: form opinion on AMC's future

There might be going concern now thanks to the meme inflation but what's the rationale for it being anything but temporary?
I was suggesting that Beignet was on point about RH continually fucking up the past couple years.

I'm not sure what your condescending post here has to do with mine which you quoted?

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
The squeeze was the stock going from like $5 to $480 in a few weeks. The four figure stock prices were always lies or self-delusion - including myself on this to an extent although I lost very little money from my one share purchase. Back to boring but safe investments.