• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Serious question: has 343 Industries ever launched a product without huge development problems?

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ooooooooffffffffff.

Really pulling for Infinite to be great. I recently played the OG Halo campaigns and I really do truly love those games. Only good thoughts to the team. (And Jason, can't wait to read about this in Press Reset 2, Electric Boogaloo).

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I really wonder what fuck up the development? I'm sure it'd make for a fascinating story one day. It sounds like the campaign is were the trouble is, just them biting off more than they could chew, while trying to pull off a soft reboot/reimaging, just it being tied to XB1, just general mismanagement of the project, a combination of them and more.

It's reasonable to assume 343 was working on Halo 6 then 6 was scrapped and recycled into Infinite and it didn't go too well.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
How do you allow your most prized, most popular, most beloved franchise descend into utter chaos like this from a project management point of view? Your crown jewel franchise handled in such a seemingly amateur way.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I feel kind of bad for chris lee and dont feel like this is his fault at all. Most of the negativity surrounding the infinite reveal was about graphics, but you have to remember this was a cross gen game with a large scope running at 4k/60 in single player and 120 fps in multiplayer. I mean look at how Dirt looks at 120fps and 60 fps, they talked about a post launch ray tracing patch and that has been the same for DMC too and there are very few games on series X launching with RT (Only watchdogs and CoD I think) considering all of that then yeah the game was never going to be a visual blockbuster and I feel like he might be taking the flack for those decisions that were potentially outside of his remit. Hope he has success on his next project.

Edit: not his fault at all is an overstatement, my bad, he does have some responsibility for the state of the game but it's not all on him.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Prolly nothing left for him to contribute.
Had no idea they lost a game director already.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
" "Chris Lee remains a Microsoft employee and while he has stepped back from Halo: Infinite right now, we appreciate all he has done for the project to date," Microsoft said in an emailed statement. "
The thread is moving fast, but this should be thread marked. With the proper citation, of course.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
I thought he was only made the head 3-ish years about and Infinite has been in dev for 5 years?
Chris Lee has been the studio head since 2015. He was in charge of both the single and multiplayer. The person who quit last year was the director Tim Longo who was the second in command for single player under Lee. I'm guessing there's been a bit of confusion since most devs use the title of director as the sole lead on a game. Whereas 343 uses the title studio head.

Edit: you're article states he had already been the head of the shooter team. Seems like in 2017 he just assumed more responsibilities

Last edited:

StUnNeR H2K

Dec 1, 2017
Yukon, OK
I think more heads need to roll at 343, because who hired or selects three different directors to complete a project? Sounds like a problem higher up the chain if you can't pick a good person for the job. 343's resume isn't great and they were given a IP that I didn't think could be destroyed, yet they may pull it off. Here is hoping they get the ship back on course and Infinite changes the perception of 343.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, I'm curious if Microsoft can simply just pay a few billion to Bungie to make another Halo game...

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It's bizarre how 343's ambitions keep stacking as though they haven't buckled in the past. They're as talented as any other studio, but it's almost like they never got their footing before sprinting.

Hopefully, and in spite of the clearly tumultuous development, they will have the time to release something they're proud of.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
How do you allow your most prized, most popular, most beloved franchise descend into utter chaos like this from a project management point of view? Your crown jewel franchise handled in such a seemingly amateur way.

Isn't that technically Minecraft? Though I assume you're probably mean in terms of their exclusive franchises.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
They don't cancel it because this game's name is HALO. If it were called whatever other name, this would have been axed years ago. Obviously, they just can't do that to the xbox most representative character, but I think you can see my point.

This game probably is in a terrible state, if what we saw last july was the most polished thing they could bring to the table. And thr worst thing is that they really were going to release that with Series X.

I was wondering if they could make it in 2021, but I seriously don't think so. IMHO, this is going to 2022 esily.

I hope they can bring back Master Chif to his full glory.

Oct 27, 2017
Serious question: has 343 Industries ever launched a product without huge development problems?
to be fair, the same could be said about Bungie, and in a few of their vidocs they have said so themselves

Chris Lee has been the studio head since 2015. He was in charge of both the single and multiplayer. The person who quit last year was the director Tim Longo who was the second in command for single player under Lee. I'm guessing there's been a bit of confusion since most devs use the title of director as the sole lead on a game. Whereas 343 uses the title studio head.

Yeah that does explain some of the confusion. Thanks

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Lol at the "just scrap it" takes. Most ridiculous shit I've ever read on here.

THE major launch title for a new console generation couldn't be released due in part to mismanagement at the studio (you can't put all the blame on covid). Personnel changes are inevitable.

I expect this to be a big holiday 2021 title.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Forget current gen with this game. Start fresh, take the time required to make it right, and then push it to market a few years from now.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Just remember, whatever was/is happening with Halo Infinite's development WAS happening with those people at the top. With the way it showed at the showcase, I see this as a good thing.

Any issues with projects and development start at the top...almost always. Shake it all up and get this game on track please.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I highly HIGHLY doubt that, most of the work for this game has been on an engine level.

They made and entirely new engine from scratch? Then I wonder what problems they could've had, I think Halo 4 showed that they can squeeze every last drop from old hardware.

Make a compilation with Anthem,Avengers,cyberpunk, Mass Effect Andromeda...

Am I missing anything?

Star Citizen. To be fair, SC would fill and entire TV series by itself.

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
Missing this launch was such a colossal failure. The way MS had the marketing all lined up and still took one on the chin because of this incompetence says a lot.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When are they actually doing to do some changes at the TOP of 343i ? They should be the responsible ones not the staff.
Leaders lead and if you're studio is and always has been in a bad place then the solution is simple.

They did these changes after H5 as well, some directors left and nothing changed.