mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
So if I'm getting this right, Microsoft told Zenimax they need to consolidate, and Zenimiax looked around and closed two studios that didn't have active projects yet but were pitching.

Is that correct?

If so, then it's Zenimax that actually decided which studios to close, based on an order Microsoft was giving Zenimax.

Still Microsoft's fault for forcing the consolidation (based on bad decisions they've made), but sounds like they didn't actually decide which studios to close down.
Chances are they probably the only studios that could be axed without affecting the release pipeline too much.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I don't get how this incentivizes releasing games, the thing Microsoft has been desperately needing for like six years now.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Yes. That appears to be the long and short of it. Phil Spencer didn't specifically close those studios, but his division gave Zenimax an order to consolidate/shutter studios, and the ones that got killed were the ones that weren't actively in production of a new game.

Not saying you're saying this, but in no way does this absolve Spencer, to be clear. The cuts would have been run by him and he signed off on them.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
I know... it's just so damn sad.

I never want to see the word "growth" from Xbox again but I know I will. Good luck with that shit.

I mean in real terms you are in luck because Microsoft Gaming wasn't growing, it was flat to declining, which is its own problem. it is why Microsoft is a few steps removed from becoming a multiplatform publisher.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not saying you're saying this, but in no way does this absolve Spencer, to be clear. The cuts would have been run by him and he signed off on them.

Oh, I'm not absolving Spencer at all. This is absolutely still his fault. His terrible leadership and the godawfully stupid Activision buyout are all direct causes of this. He's just not the one who specifically picked Tango and AA to kill.

silentq15

Aug 15, 2022
This has been said a lot but the hiring market is pretty garbage as it is, be it game development or just software development. I hope the folks who survive this round of layoffs can hold on to those jobs for however long they can/choose to.
More thinking the devs will leave and form their own independent studios. They have the talent, something clearly the corporations don't value and are getting rid of to make the line go up.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so:
MS: Tango's game is furthest out so we're shutting it down
Tango: If you lets us hire more, we could speed up dev process
MS: No

Am I reading this right??

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Oh, I'm not absolving Spencer at all. This is absolutely still his fault. His terrible leadership and the godawfully stupid Activision buyout are all direct causes of this. He's just not the one who specifically picked Tango and AA to kill.

I'm not even sold on that, to be honest. Or at least, he would have known what they would come back with based on the size of the cuts he asked for.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
More thinking the devs will leave and form their own independent studios. They have the talent, something clearly the corporations don't value and are getting rid of to make the line go up.
I mean, you need capital to do that so if new studio heads didn't prepare for this, it's gonna be an uphill battle for all of them.
Shit sucks.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
To be fair, we need to remember that the ABK acquisition was announced on Jan 2022, almost 2.5 years ago. 2.5 years ago, Xbox was selling near PS5 numbers (due to early PS5 shortages/slow production ramp) and Gamepass was still growing pretty strongly in the wake of the pandemic. It was very early in the generation and Xbox was off to a good start (18 million PS5 vs 12 million Xbox X/S).

Everything changed over the past 2 years as PS5 caught up in production and their exclusives (GoW R, Last of Us 2, Spiderman MM and 2) basically won the heads up battle decisively now ahead nearly 2:1 (PS5 hitting 55 million).

So Spencer might have sold him on Xbox holding up well with Gamepass growing and then all the AAA and AA exclusives pulling in more Gamepass subs on a path to 100 million Gamepass subs by 2030 with 70-80 million Xbox X/S sold.

Obviously those projections look laughable now.
Maybe I'm WAY off here but I still think if MS had stayed the course they could have turned Xbox around.

They finally got their enormous roster of world-class studios. If they'd sorted out their production pipelines they should have been able to pump out banger after banger every three months of the year.

If they kept those games exclusive (save for the stuff required multi due to ABK deal ofc), people surely would have bought more Xboxs to play them.

They have an absolutely insane amount of studios AND incredible IP.

Ravenash

Apr 16, 2020
This whole thing is so infuriating.

This is a real gut punch for sure

But then you see this:

Christ, what?

OK then... and:

And then you DESTROY THOSE STUDIOS MAKING THOSE GAMES

asfdsgtsrgr

driltweetbuylesspublishers.jpg
As sad as it sounds, it seems the zenimax aquisition was driven to just get The Elder Scrolls, Starfield, Fallout and maybe Doom.

In the other side, Ninja theory, double fine, obsidian, compulsion, inxile, undead labs and playground were independent handpicked studios, bought individually and not part of other company.

The same could be applied to toys for bob, microsoft wanted ABK for candy crush, Call of duty and maybe WoW, maybe that's why they allowed them to depart.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like Spencer overreached by spending, whatever it was, like $70 billion on Activision? And that over-extension is now threatening to collapse the entire strategy they had been building towards for a decade?

I kind of feel like it's the opposite. The ActiBlizz purchase was a sound one, and a buffer or safety net in case the bottom fell out of GamePass/Xbox console, which appears to be happening. I imagine that might have also been the understanding for Phil when MS signed off on such a massive purchase. They weren't just gonna let him spend $70 billion to keep GamePass and Series X on life support.

This is of course, not quite what people who are fans of Xbox as a hardware brand and platform thought they were signing up for. Bad news for them but it allows MS some angles to pivot their business in a more successful direction since people simply aren't buying what they are selling right now.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So if I'm getting this right, Microsoft told Zenimax they need to consolidate, and Zenimiax looked around and closed two studios that didn't have active projects yet but were pitching.

Is that correct?

If so, then it's Zenimax that actually decided which studios to close, based on an order Microsoft was giving Zenimax.

Still Microsoft's fault for forcing the consolidation (based on bad decisions they've made), but sounds like they didn't actually decide which studios to close down.
i mean if they give zenimax orders to hit a certain expense cap, such that it requires the closure of two studios, while simultaneously still communicating a revenue expectation that wouldn't give them space to close studios with games coming relatively soon, microsoft essentially made the decision for them, and just used the zenimax management as a middleman to take the blame

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I kind of feel like it's the opposite. The ActiBlizz purchase was a sound one, and a buffer or safety net in case the bottom fell out of GamePass/Xbox console, which appears to be happening. I imagine that might have also been the understanding for Phil when MS signed off on such a massive purchase. They weren't just gonna let him spend $70 billion to keep GamePass and Series X on life support.

I agree this was the plan. The problem is, they couldn't manage the studios they had.

How much will Actiblizz be worth once it's been under this Microsoft management team for a while?

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Absolutely and I feel like a fucking idiot
I've seen you post about this in this thread and such and I get you. I tried to be as optimistic as possible but still had my doubts. I can't tell you how to feel but it takes a lot to say things the way you are. Try not to beat yourself up about it. It happens. What matters is having the strength to post like you have. Just wanted to mention that.

I mean in real terms you are in luck because Microsoft Gaming wasn't growing, it was flat to declining, which is its own problem. it is why Microsoft is a few steps removed from becoming a multiplatform publisher.
Which is definitely a thought I've been having more and more lately. Wonder how the rest of the year goes from here.

Re-Tails

Aug 16, 2020
Fucking hell, more cuts.

Good to have more context as to how the closures happened, and good on Jason for reporting all this.

Still, these layoffs are horrible in the end.
Capture_decran_2024-05-08_a_23.png

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017

This is of course, not quite what people who are fans of Xbox as a hardware brand and platform thought they were signing up for. Bad news for them but it allows MS some angles to pivot their business in a more successful direction since people simply aren't buying what they are selling right now.
I think this is the proper reading. Xbox have known where they stand in terms of numbers regarding Hardware and Gamepass. These purchases of Bethesda and ABK are steps towards a 3rd party future. The culling of smaller studios and more games on competitors platforms is just the userbase being clued into the plan after the fact.

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
Maybe I'm WAY off here but I still think if MS had stayed the course they could have turned Xbox around.

They finally got their enormous roster of world-class studios. If they'd sorted out their production pipelines they should have been able to pump out banger after banger every three months of the year.

If they kept those games exclusive (save for the stuff required multi due to ABK deal ofc), people surely would have bought more Xboxs to play them.

Oh I 100% agree with you, but the financial execs at Microsoft probably saw that Xbox was way off its projections after a disastrous Q4-Q1 2023-2024 for the Xbox division (ignoring ABK acquisition) and seeing a bleak finish to this generation for the business.

Xbox is way off track for the next 2-3 years compared to what Spencer's projections looked like in late 2021 when they were deciding whether to spend $75 billion on ABK.

It's always possible a turnaround can happen with a strong set of franchises to launch the next generation, but in the short term, the financial team at Xbox probably demanded cuts out of everybody at Xbox Game Studios and some small studios had to get the axe or have new projects halted.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

Is that correct?

The person in charge of Zenimax: Matt Booty, who is also responsible for the Xbox studios!

So it's still the Xbox team and Xbox execs that made these cuts.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
After the Halo fuck ups It's honestly surprising (layoffs aside) they're still fine.

They basically cleaned house at the upper level of the studio after Infinite and laid a bunch of other people off, so they weren't really fine. Being the studio dedicated to one of their flagship IPs (I guess still?) probably helps.

People were just more positive about the upper level culling because it felt long overdue after 12 years of unmet expectations.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
You simply can't make these huge purchases when your entire business plan and brand is going down the toilet. The simple reality is that Xbox cannot sell enough consoles in order to make these fucking gigantic acquisitions viable. There aren't enough players within their ecosystem to buy the number of games or subs that would ever make it make sense. It's not sustainable. And their gamble on explosive Gamepass growth off console has not happened.

They gambled. Lost. And now the backup plan is to axe anything not immediately profitable and basically go third party.

Well done Phil, what a job you have done

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
lets say you have a project that will cost $100 million to complete and take 4 years. $100 million at 5.5% compounded for 4 years is $125 million. if your risk adjusted expected return isnt higher than that it makes zero business sense to make that investment.
So it boils down to whether it's more profitable to just being a bank?

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
If Spencer truly can't protect his employees (and also obviously can't sufficiently managed the brand either), he should resign.

His job isn't to protect his employees? It's to deliver on the bottom line, and MS is not a company that knows how to succeed in a creative industry. It's totally alien to their corporate DNA. What is happening is absolutely predictable for them.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

Im not so sure this was ever happening. It like a catch 22. In order to get all of those studios and IP and big games, they needed to spend a ton of money, and that amount of spending was never going to be able to be justified by Xbox' place in the market. The more Phil was allowed to spend the more expectations from Satya and the board. Xbox isn't some charity project. Phils been at the head for 10 years.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
It sucks. I really, really hope Double Fine survives this. Their games are too special to lose and I don't know if Tim will be able to muster up another team if he loses this one.
Yeah my mind goes to I hope they extend the courtesy they extended to Toys for Bob to these other teams. But then they go and shutter tango and now I have no fucking clue what to think anymore.

There is no consistency outside of the disappointment

alexjimithing

Aug 20, 2019
I think Spencer undoubtedly has one foot out the door if only because his strategy failed spectacularly.

Like what trust would Satya have in Phil now after the last ten years and the total miss it was lol.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but think that if these kinds of cuts are on the table there's someone in Activision management who would do a 'better' job of it than Phil Spencer.

There are a lot of people under the Microsoft banner now that have had more success than Xbox has.

If there isn't some intangible long-term 'growing the Xbox brand' strategy, and you're just going to close studios by spreadsheet, I wonder what Phil has to offer.

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
Xbox may get one more console launch; a 2027-ish launch with exclusives ready from every possible studio. If that still flops relative to PS6, then they're likely cooked in hardware and highly likely to go full 3rd party route by 2032-2033.

Can't see Nadella and co keeping the hardware business as a money loser if they can't ever get to proper competitive scale again (70-80 million units per generation).

At this point, it's really hard to see any sort of hardware future if they're just focused on the AAA multi-platform (or mainly PC/mobile) titles like Minecraft, CoD, WoW, Candy Crush, Diablo, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, etc.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
So releasing a game puts the studio next on the chopping block?
As a Microsoft-owned game studio, I'd take as much time as possible developing a game because you know that you're going to get the axe once your game is released regardless of quality. I'm worried for Ninja Theory.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022

Is that correct?

Guilty by association at this point it don't matter. The demand came from the top and rolled down hill so the whole damn mountain is fucked.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox may get one more console launch; a 2027-ish launch with exclusives ready from every possible studio. If that still flops relative to PS6, then they're likely cooked in hardware and highly likely to go full 3rd party route by 2032-2033.

Can't see Nadella and co keeping the hardware business as a money loser if they can't ever get to proper competitive scale again (70-80 million units per generation).

It sounds very optimistic to think that we'll get to 2027 and still be talking about "Xbox consoles" or "exclusives". They ain't waiting that long. They may not wait out the year.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Ninja Theory desperately trying to call the C-suite to let them know Hellblade 2 needs another 5 years in the oven.

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
Even if they didn't decide what studios to shut down, and it's just "well they're the farthest from a next release"

The complete lack of nuance to recognize they just put out your closest title to a GOTY award, and the idiocy to close them down because "whelp you're the weakest link, it's just business!"

Just utterly brainless

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
As a Microsoft-owned game studio, I'd take as much time as possible developing a game because you know that you're going to get the axe once your game is released regardless of quality. I'm worried for Ninja Theory.

It really kills any incentive at all....honestly pretty mind boggling corpo logic from 10k feet up.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I'm done I think. I think the Series X will be my last Xbox. I can't continue support what what's going on at this company. They were playing 4D chess all along… I just didn't realize it was against me the consumer who wanted more games from Arkane and Tango. Time to learn to build a PCs again to go with my Switch 2…