Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Before its closure, Arkane had been looking to return to its roots by pitching a new single-player "immersive sim" game, such as a new entry in the Dishonored series, according to the people familiar.
I was mad now I'm gamer mad

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Arkane Austin were going to pitch a new Dishonored game and Tango a Hifi Rush sequel, damn.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Acquiring ABK was a big mistake. Booty has been a terrible leader and I hate the way he phrases things.

Last edited:

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this whole ABK merger is going to wreck havoc on the studios inside MS. MS was never going to just throw $80 billion at mergers for Xbox and then not take a closer look at how to make it actually worthwhile to spend it there as opposed to other places in the company etc. I feel for those inside the company as first party devs now, especially ones who are on the smaller side who got gobbled up first before the mega mergers. Double fine, obsidian and ninja theory would be my best bet for being on the rockier side of these moves going forward.

It's a fucking shame that this shit is happening and honestly it was very easy to see this was a likely outcome. These mega corps don't care about the devs, they care about the IP, once they get that they couldn't give a shit about the talent that made that IP worth what it is. This isn't a new thing either, we all know how the EA meme goes.

Fucking disgusting this shit happens after huge mergers and there's going to be no consequences to the company doing it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The closures included Tokyo-based Tango Gameworks, which last year released the critically acclaimed action game Hi-Fi Rush. Tango was in the process of pitching a sequel, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing nonpublic information.

Oh, I'm going to be angry about this for a long fucking time...

Ion Stream

Oct 31, 2017
Didn't Ninja Theory get a swanky new office space too that clearly got a lot of money pumped into it. I am worried about them, and Double Fine. Whole situation is incredibly fucked.

Trevelyon

Oct 30, 2017
It seems more clear to me that this rapid, aggressive consolidation hurt more than helped Microsoft.

I just get soooooooooooooooo irritated, irrationally so by the endless consolidation cheer leaders that did end zone dances over these colossal mergers like their team just spiked the ball to win. So goddam short sighted and naive. This is the reality of this shit, people out of work.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Ninja Theory and Double Fine are so fucking cooked man, and it's fucking so sad. Hell that Marvel deal is probably the only reason that Arkane Lyon is still in business

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
Oh god. New immersive from Arkane Austin? It's basically dream come true. Too bad we won't get something like this.

I think Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Undead Labs, Double Fine, inXile, Compulsion Games, The Initiative, 343i, Machine Games are next candidates. I expect closure of Initiative and Double Fine from Xbox. Obsidian might become a new Bethesda studio for Fallout. Machine Games can be closed if Indiana Jones flops. Not sure about Ninja Theory, Compulsion and Undead Labs but I think all of them might be closed.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Before its closure, Arkane had been looking to return to its roots by pitching a new single-player "immersive sim" game, such as a new entry in the Dishonored series, according to the people familiar.

Fuck you, Xbox.

This stings this most, JFC.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm out of the platform when the PS5 Pro releases, will trade in my XSX and move on. They clearly have no discernible strategy and I'm not interested in whatever they're trying to do.

PimentaGui

Jul 29, 2021
This mess won't stop, will it?

Considering the close to zero marketing Microsoft is giving Hellblade 2, I'm starting to worry about Ninja Theory too

Suntzupp

Mar 26, 2022
ABK purchase is the worst thing happened to this industry. Xbox was always incoherent with its vision but now the other creative studios which were promised the safety net must face the consequences

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Once the Activision sale went through, this was inevitable. Sad to hear and just further proof consolidation at such a scale is trash. It was wild reading the acquisition thread and seeing people championing the purchase because of the proposition of more games coming to game pass.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Shit's crazy, ABK is literally terraforming Xbox in real time. Hope the years long legal circus was worth it - MS as a publisher is the end goal now.

Jammerz

Apr 29, 2023
Has anyone ever seen Phil Spencer and Bobby Kotick in the same room together? 🤔
37cfd7a1-2e53-4e17-9b48-74252eb4cae6_thumb.jpg

ArtemisLunar

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Jun 13, 2018
I'm just tired.
I will not ask the obvious questions, but man, even if we are having really good games and a trilling selection of indies, the AAA industry and companies just want their profits and nothing more, because money should be infinite even if it's not logical and possible.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The massive Activision Blizzard acquisition has ramped up scrutiny on the Xbox division from leaders at Microsoft, according to people familiar.

yeh, like some people have been saying. The suits looked at the type of profits Activation was making and then looked at what xbox was doing and it must of been a wakeup call for them.

Phil might be the CEO, but someone else is pulling the strings now.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely devastating. Buying ABK might end up the greatest blunder/tragedy in the history of the industry.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
We could have had a new Dishonored and a Hi-Fi sequel. I think I'm going to cry.

Worried about Ninja Theory now.

I'm starting to buy the speculation that the MS higher ups just want to become ABK 2.0.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Both Tango and Arkane released games last year and were looking to hire additional staff as they pitched new projects, which Booty and Braff suggested was the main factor behind their closures.

Soooo.....DON'T release games?

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
The beatings will continue.

The article mentions they're letting go of the QA team at Zenimax, isn't that the team that unionized?