Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
not THIS fiscal year, but next right?

dont think they shipping 10 mil in 2 months lol

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
It's not a "followup to a tweet" it's the journo reboosting his article for which there's already a thread with a billion posts lol

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Switch 2 hype is going to be an absolute monster, I can't wait to see the launch games

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
10 million doesn't seem like a lot? Didn't PS5 do more than that in its first year even with the chip shortage?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
im just glad were starting to get more smoke on this fucker finally coming soon

ive been switchless for a bit and i said i wouldnt buy another one til the new one happens

OP
OP
Meelow

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Is that more than when they shipped the first Switch in its first year?

I could have my numbers mixed up but I think it was 15 million for Switch in its first year.

Note: the Switch 2 is very likely likely launching by September at the earliest so that's why it would be less.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Important to remember that this device won't have a full fiscal year until FY2026, beginning in April 2025.

The suggestion here is that the device ships in a September-October timeframe, which means it will have a maximum of two quarters in Nintendo's upcoming FY2024 (and, even then, it wouldn't have two full quarters unless it releases September 2nd...which it could, but likely won't)

This would put it on par with the Switch during those equivalent quarters in FY2018 (meaning Oct-Dec 2017 and Jan-Mar 2018):
  • Q3 FY2018 - 7.2 million Switch units sold
  • Q4 FY2018 - 2.9 million Switch units sold
  • Total: 10.1 million

Last edited:

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
That.. doesnt seem like a lot of units? Not sure I can agree with the premise of the tweet if this is releasing near the holidays too, it'll be even harder to find if its launching late October

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Important to remember that this device won't have a full fiscal year until FY2025, beginning in March 2024.

The suggestion here is that the device ships in a September-October timeframe, which means it will have a maximum of two quarters in Nintendo's upcoming FY.

This would put it on par with the Switch during those equivalent quarters in FY2018 (meaning Oct-Dec 2017 and Jan-Mar 2018):
  • Q3 FY2018 - 7.2 million Switch units sold
  • Q4 FY2018 - 2.9 million Switch units sold
  • Total: 10.1 million
Good work here, i was going to dig up Switch sales for comparison.
You're right that the 10 million+ is likely only going to be for at most 2 quarters.

The silver lining to me is, with shipments this large, Nintendo must feel quite confident and i suspect it will be what everyone wants, just a more powerful Switch, with an interesting gimmick, but ultimately, it's iterative, more powerful and has full BC.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Someone in the other thread was able to narrow down when the system will likely drop based on the information this article provided…
Using this estimate of 10 million consoles produced for the fiscal year, we could work out the possible release date.

Indeed i just checked the data from Luminoth, on istallbase, on the shipped consoles per Q:

in the FY 2017/2018 nintendo shipped:
  • 7,3 Million consoles in the third quarter(Oct-Dec)
  • 2.9 Million consoles in the fourth quarter(Jan-march)
That would be 10.2 million consoles total.
That is actually the minimum quantity of consoles shipped by nintendo for the switch for Q3 and and Q4 in a fiscal year.

Of course, the shipment numbers won't really reflect the shipments in 2017/2018, they will probably be a bit more skewed towards Q4 due to the logistics involved in launching a new product.
So something like:
- 6 million for Q3
- 4 million for Q4

When Switch launched in March 2017, Nintendo shipped 2.7 million consoles in the first month of march alone (data from Luminoth).
That would leave 1.5 million consoles to ship in November and December respectively, to reach ca. 6 million consoles shipped, which is doable.

This would put the launch date in October.

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
10 million seems light. Genuinely not looking forward to trying to get one, especially since I want this to be the first console I get on launch.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
I've decided that I hope it's called the Switch 2. It gives off PS2 vibes and it absolutely works

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think/hope they'll launch before then so the launch rush/holiday rush don't completely overlap with one another.

Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U all launched in November. Doesn't really mean anything but Xbox and PlayStation tend to release in that month as well.

Regardless, it's 10 million units in a relative short period of time signaling that hopefully supply won't be an issue.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
It took Switch 9 months to reach 10 million.
Say they launched in November so it should take 5 months to be sold within the fisical year 2024.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they can crank out a ton. It was easy to preorder a Switch. But, everything big just sells out instantly now thanks to flippers and bots.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If it launches in November that is 10 million in 4 months. Seems better than the Switch launch.
I'm honestly not too sure about November. Not only would that go against Eurogamer mentioning that Nintendo wants to launch the system sooner if possible, it would also step on the toes of Pokémon (which is likely still Switch 1-only this year).

September or October make more sense while still fitting with the "holiday period" timeframe mentioned by Bloomberg.

Felix1

Banned
Dec 29, 2023
Are we just expecting the switch 2 to be more powerful or have something unique in terms of hardware features etc ?