dseed

Oct 27, 2017
New enhanced console with BOTW 2 plus Pokémon BOTW. Yeah they can definitely hit that software target. Good for them, what a difference from the Wii U days.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think we are getting ahead of ourselves here. Of course there are many unannounced titles. The new hardware and a steadily growing library will help carry Switch in 2021 but I don't see a singular title or two spurring a huge uptick in software or hardware sales.

Who's "we"? These expectations come from industry supply chain and software sources, not any of us or even any analysts.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
A couple of things.
I think Switch will break the 205 million software forecast for FY 2021 Ending March when the final results are released
FY2022 starting this April doesn't end until March 2022, so while Mochi is doubling down on his Pro talk sounding like a 2021 thing, it could still launch in early 2022. That said, this article all but confirms the current plan is to launch this revision in the next 12 months with an apparent intention to launch in 2021, at least strongly implied by the article.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Mario Kart 9 with an expanded Nintendo roster like Smash. It will sell boat loads.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I don't even know if I WANT a new Switch since I barely use my launch one. But just the prospect of increased visuals/performance is too good to pass up

Jul 14, 2020
Analysts expectations have been regularly smashed. I don't know why they keep lowballing.

Software peaks are usually in the latter years of the platform and we are not there yet.

The assumption is that fiscal 2021 is the one-two punch of stay-at-home + AC, and the following year would decline.

My investment thesis has been that we will see a combination of 1) the benefit of a larger install base, 2) hardware refresh, and 3) an improved release schedule.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The assumption is that fiscal 2021 is the one-two punch of stay-at-home + AC, and the following year would decline.

My investment thesis has been that we will see a combination of 1) the benefit of a larger install base, 2) hardware refresh, and 3) an improved release schedule.
I mean yeah, the effect was clearly there but
1. Like you said the userbase grew significantly
2. Even AC was sandwiched between 2 FY
3. COVID weakened last year's release slate whereas this one appears stronger (and we are very early in the year).
4. COVID effect is still going on and will have lasting effects (because of 1 and new entertainement patterns)

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Do Analysts just have a hard-on for predicting Nintendo's failure? I know that we all point at Pachter, but seriously, other analysts just seem to believe Nintendo is a walking corpse rather than thriving.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
the fact that we're 4+ years into the switch now and it's not slowing down or may not have even hit its peak yet is.... unprecedented right? Like not just for Nintendo.

Not to mention I feel like the switch pro is the most hyped revision ever, that will do gangbusters
Honestly, their handhelds often have odd sales curves. The GameBoy had a whole second life much later than 4 years in when Pokemon launched. The DS was a slow build and then exploded. The 3DS even had increased sales YoY later in its life when Nintendo had basically declared it dead. Then they pretended it wasn't for a few months until sales fell off a cliff.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Is it reasonable to believe that Bloomberg is right about Nintendo keeping most of this year's lineup a secret? Almost feels like wishful thinking to me (though as a Switch owner, I'd like it to be true).

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
What if they wanted even more sales

Announcing "4K Patches" for their evergreens should do the trick for even more sales!

Is it reasonable to believe that Bloomberg is right about Nintendo keeping most of this year's lineup a secret? Almost feels like wishful thinking to me (though as a Switch owner, I'd like it to be true).

Yes it is. Nintendo never announces everything in the first half. Heck you could even see some Q4 2021 (calendar year) announcements as late as September. It's Nintendo, they always do it like that.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, their handhelds often have odd sales curves. The GameBoy had a whole second life much later than 4 years in when Pokemon launched. The DS was a slow build and then exploded. The 3DS even had increased sales YoY later in its life when Nintendo had basically declared it dead. Then they pretended it wasn't for a few months until sales fell off a cliff.

Mario Kart 9 could be the Pokemon Red/Blue/Green for Switch

Jul 14, 2020
I mean yeah, the effect was clearly there but
1. Like you said the userbase grew significantly
2. Even AC was sandwiched between 2 FY
3. COVID weakened last year's release slate whereas this one appears stronger (and we are very early in the year).
4. COVID effect is still going on and will have lasting effects (because of 1 and new entertainement patterns)

I believe that the impact of Covid is overstated as well. Nintendo is back, and more powerful hardware will be the cherry on top.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

The only 2nd half of year games we know about from Nintendo Zelda which is July and Pokémon. Of course they have more.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Of course. Or you want to believe they only have like, 2 games for the rest of the year.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Gen 4 remakes sell 13M+ units.
Legends probably another 10m.
Most of Monster Hunter Rises sales will be in the next FY.

Thats over 30m just from 3 games lol.
Am I missing something? Have seen this mentioned a few times now.

I'd love a MK9 if it's even better than MK8D.
You are missing wishfull thinkingTM.

No indication of MK9 at all.
But Mk8DX will sell probably another 10m hehe.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I should have phrased my question better, as I keep getting responses to the effect of "well it just makes sense for Nintendo."

Ok, fair, but is Bloomberg just assuming for the same reasons everyone else is, or do they ACTUALLY have any insider info here?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Bloomberg isn't just making stuff up. It could be wrong, but they will have sources for what they're saying. This isn't Nintendo Fanboy Weekly or something: Bloomberg built their platform on providing well-sourced market information.

And note they're talking about fiscal years from April 1st to March 31st. This would then include Pokémon BDSP, Pokémon Arceus, and probably other unannounced titles.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I should have phrased my question better, as I keep getting responses to the effect of "well it just makes sense for Nintendo."

Ok, fair, but is Bloomberg just assuming for the same reasons everyone else is, or do they ACTUALLY have any insider info here?
Bloomberg has intel

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Getting the Switch at launch was easy for me. I have a feeling this will be much tougher. I hope this releases after Covid restrictions end so I can wait in line at the electronics store to get one. It's the only way to beat scalper bots

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart 9 could be the Pokemon Red/Blue/Green for Switch
I'm a little mixed on the idea of a Mario Kart 9. I feel like people get 8 because they love Mario Kart and want one on their Switch. I have no doubt that initial sales will be huge and basically replace the 8 sales over time, but it would ultimately replace sales as opposed to add onto 8's sales. A lot of people are still buying 8, so they likely won't rush to get 9. It's not like 8 becomes suddenly bad or not Mario Kart. Is it worth making a whole new Mario Kart for an initial sales surge that will eat into your still amazing sales on 8? It's not like a Zelda sequel, where the first one still has reason to sell once the second is out.