Oct 26, 2017
My pics for Switch Pro patches:

Monster Hunter Rise (big duh, it's literally a given)
The Witcher 3
Crash Bandicoot 4
Doom Eternal (also a given IMO)
Spyro Reignited Trilogy (it really needs a patch to smooth things out period)
Crysis
Apex Legends (huge given)
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
BOTW
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Xenoblade Chronicles DE
Astral Chain
Luigi's Mansion 3

Make all run native 1080p docked and 720p portable with 4K and 1080p DLSS added respectively. Along with 60fps to certain games (MHR, Crash, Apex, Crysis, etc.).

Monster Hunter Rise also needs higher-res shadows, since it's one of the blemishes in it IMO. And any texture improvements they can afford (some assets look notably low-res in the backgrounds).

Dec 21, 2020
Theres mass shortages both at 7nm and 8nm. Nvidia 30 series "released" in September-November and due to samsung being unable to meet demand not even scalpers can keep them available readily at 2-5x msrp.

Lot of industry analysts don't see it getting normal until Q4 and then there's a backlog of demand and the holidays and don't expect products regularly on shelves until H2 2022
Those are also a lot bigger than this estimated SoC size though

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm over here like
f2e7538f-95f0-49bd-a539-def298ec89ca_text.gif

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this going to be another PS5 scenario where they will be extremely hard to get for months?

Arzak

Jun 21, 2019
This is going to create a pretty massive perceived power difference between the systems. I'm wondering how this will effect the development of games for the system going forward. Has Zelda been delayed to add a bunch of graphical bells and whistles to take advantage of the increase in power?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Games with variable resolution and framerate should see immediate improvement.

This is what I'm most curious about. Can we get a partial list of past/current Switch games that *should* get a benefit in framerate/resolution automatically?

I'm strongly debating getting Monster Hunter Rise this week. I really want that game at 60 fps more than anything, so if these DSLL rumors are probable and it should be a given Rise will benefit with it immediately without a patch (much like MHW did on PS5/XSX) then that makes it a much easier buy for me.

AcornShaka

Banned
Feb 9, 2021
This is what I'm most curious about. Can we get a partial list of past/current Switch games that *should* get a benefit in framerate/resolution automatically?

I'm strongly debating getting Monster Hunter Rise this week. I really want that game at 60 fps more than anything, so if these DSLL rumors are probable and it should be a given Rise will benefit with it immediately without a patch (much like MHW did on PS5/XSX) then that makes it a much easier buy for me.

Rise has a 30fps cap, whereas World did not, so it would need a patch. That said I fully expect a patch on or close after release of the new model taking advantage of the capabilities of the system. MH4U didn't just run better on the New 3DS but had better textures as well, Monster Hunter team is pretty good at that stuff.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to create a pretty massive perceived power difference between the systems. I'm wondering how this will effect the development of games for the system going forward. Has Zelda been delayed to add a bunch of graphical bells and whistles to take advantage of the increase in power?
if devs need a game to run on the base switch, I wouldn't expect new visual effects. just higher resolution and/or frame rate. Zelda will probably be 900p/30fps on base switch and 1800p/60fps on the Pro for example

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is off topic, but Is there any chance Nintendo would do something incredibly stupid with this pro switch like attatch the joycons to it like the lite, but maintain dockability like the regular edition? Is there any leaks anywhere saying it's definitely going to have removable joycons? Because I can't think of anything worse for a switch system than crappy joycons you cannot escape from.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is off topic, but Is there any chance Nintendo would do something incredibly stupid with this pro switch like attatch the joycons to it like the lite, but maintain dockability like the regular edition? Is there any leaks anywhere saying it's definitely going to have removable joycons? Because I can't think of anything worse for a switch system than crappy joycons you cannot escape from.
close to zero. form factor other than "hybrid" isn't something that would be leaked at this point.

a silent revision and a voluntary recall of joycons, I think is pretty likely

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

If it's a hybrid system like the OG it's impossible that Joycons won't be detachable. I mean how can you play it in docked mode if you can't use the joycons? Putting extra pro controller in the package will make it more expensive.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Is this going to be another PS5 scenario where they will be extremely hard to get for months?
Even without the shortages this has been every Nintendo launch for the past ten years at least

Def interested in this but I only play handheld (actually hasn't there been surveys showing most people play handheld for the most part?) so we'll see how good the improvement is there

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
I'm a bit late to the party, but it's great to see more confirmation of DLSS. I'd caution anyone who expects Nintendo to go back and add DLSS to many of their existing library, though. What I would expect is some upgrades without DLSS, just running at higher resolutions/frame rates to make use of the extra performance, particularly to any games still getting support (eg Animal Crossing and Smash Bros). Any hardware capable of DLSS is probably at least 2x as powerful as the base model, so it would be relatively straightforward to update those old titles to make more use of it, but DLSS requires some fairly fundamental changes to the rendering pipeline, so it seems very unlikely to me that they'd go back into old code to make those kind of changes, particularly when there's an easier method that still gives noticeable improvements.

The exception, of course, would be games that use TAA, where DLSS could conceivably just "slot in", but I don't believe Nintendo have used TAA in many first party games (I'd be happy to be corrected here). For third parties I'd say it's the same, with any games which have continuing support getting updates, but only games which have engine support for TAA (or DLSS already) getting a DLSS upgrade.

Going forward I'd expect basically all of Nintendo's games from late 2021 onwards to use DLSS, and most bigger third party games, but I'm not expecting much in terms of the back catalog. One benefit, though, is that with the architectural improvements of new ARM cores and Nvidia GPUs, higher memory bandwidth, etc., even if they keep clocks the same for old titles, I'd still expect much more consistent frame rates for old games even without any upgrade, and higher resolutions for games with dynamic resolution.
As far as I'm aware, the only first party games that use TAA are the Xenoblade games. Yoshi's Wooly World would also be a candidate for "easy" DLSS integration (the game itself doesn't use TAA but it's UE4 so the feature is there in engine). Wouldn't necessarily expect DLSS to be added to those games, though, since they're already well and truly EOL.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I'm aware, the only first party games that use TAA are the Xenoblade games. Yoshi's Wooly World would also be a candidate for "easy" DLSS integration (the game itself doesn't use TAA but it's UE4 so the feature is there in engine). Wouldn't necessarily expect DLSS to be added to those games, though, since they're already well and truly EOL.
Xenoblade 2 randomly got a new language patched in late last year. They're not supporting it super actively, but at least enough that I think some sort of patch is in the realm of possibility.

Last edited:

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade 2 randomly got a new language patched in late last year. They're not supporting it super actively, but at least enough that I think some sort of patch is in the realm of possibility,

Also if Nintendo has been taking note, seeing old games with significant resolution and framerate bumps on Series X has been incredibly well received. Could give these games new life if they market the updates themselves well

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 randomly got a new language patched in late last year. They're not supporting it super actively, but at least enough that I think some sort of patch is in the realm of possibility.
If Monolith does have a game announcement this FY, I can see them back porting DLSS. But I can also just see them increasing resolution to 720p and 1080p

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Where are you getting PS5 sales numbers for Canada? Sony is directing all their stock to the US, so how can it be selling well here when there's nothing being stocked?

I can't find recent numbers, but did the PS4 even sell 1 million?

It's being sold here. I know multiple people who have boughy in the last month and we have twitter accounts telling us when stock arrives. I sat with a PS5 in my cart for 30 mins before deciding not to buy.

PS4 most certainly sold over 1m here lol.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This thing is going to be harder to find than a 3080. The Switch had insane shortages for a long time, and the current environment is way tighter and demand higher than it was then.

Update
OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

"The move should propel more support to the platform from outside software developers, thus it's definitely a big plus to hardware and software sales," said Morningstar Research analyst Kazunori Ito. "Nintendo is learning well from mistakes in the past, when its hit Wii lost momentum so quickly because the console wasn't compatible with high-definition resolution."

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Where are you getting PS5 sales numbers for Canada? Sony is directing all their stock to the US, so how can it be selling well here when there's nothing being stocked?

I can't find recent numbers, but did the PS4 even sell 1 million?
www.resetera.com

Hardware and Software sales 2019 in many countries

Via IDG Consulting for USA, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Benelux, Nordic region and Japan. For South Korea and Taiwan the source is Media Create. USA Hardware Switch - 6.480.000 (47%) PS4 - 3.830.000 (27%) XB1 - 3.040.000 (22%) 3DS - 560.000 (4%) TOTAL - 13.350.000 (100%)...

Was near 3 million at the end of 2019.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Aw yeah, one step closer to realizing the dream:

Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity at a rock solid, locked 20fps

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Not gonna lie, I'm hyped for this. I hope the system itself looks good. If the tech bump is as good as rumored and game performance is stable across the board, I will probably jump despite already owning two Switches.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Having a huge ravenous install base that will snap up anything that comes out is a plus but unless they launch this new Switch with some statement titles like Kingdom Hearts III, GTAV or Call of Duty I would expect more of the same from those mega publishers.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
This tells me that this device is partially aimed at getting many of those games that missed the base switch like the Bamco suite and whatnot
Except that the Bamco games could have easily been on OG Switch, it was never a power issue for those games.
What it WILL do though is probably get some other games to appear on Switch, and get even more people to buy 3rd party ports on Switch.

Arzak

Jun 21, 2019
if devs need a game to run on the base switch, I wouldn't expect new visual effects. just higher resolution and/or frame rate. Zelda will probably be 900p/30fps on base switch and 1800p/60fps on the Pro for example

I dunno, as we've seen with console development high frame rates don't really sell games. Dev's will typically prioritize "graphics" because its better for marketing. It's easier to sell the graphical differences the system makes by adding additional visual goodies. Zelda looks best on Switch Pro!

StrapOnFetus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TX
You hear that? That is the sound of million upon millions wardrums sounding from Nintendo.. in Sonys backyard!

The great dragon has awoken from slumber to reclaim the throne...because heavy weighs the head of who wears the crown....

/s

Dec 21, 2020
sounds like this new President guy is more in the know on how to make the switch brand more successful. Maybe he is more in touch with the current gamers?
He did have an important position with regards to the Pokemon brand at one point, so this may just be his cup of tea. Or better phrased, right up his alley.

Though it is early so far, I'm curious how the furukawa era will pan out.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit late to the party, but it's great to see more confirmation of DLSS. I'd caution anyone who expects Nintendo to go back and add DLSS to many of their existing library, though. What I would expect is some upgrades without DLSS, just running at higher resolutions/frame rates to make use of the extra performance, particularly to any games still getting support (eg Animal Crossing and Smash Bros). Any hardware capable of DLSS is probably at least 2x as powerful as the base model, so it would be relatively straightforward to update those old titles to make more use of it, but DLSS requires some fairly fundamental changes to the rendering pipeline, so it seems very unlikely to me that they'd go back into old code to make those kind of changes, particularly when there's an easier method that still gives noticeable improvements.

The exception, of course, would be games that use TAA, where DLSS could conceivably just "slot in", but I don't believe Nintendo have used TAA in many first party games (I'd be happy to be corrected here). For third parties I'd say it's the same, with any games which have continuing support getting updates, but only games which have engine support for TAA (or DLSS already) getting a DLSS upgrade.

Going forward I'd expect basically all of Nintendo's games from late 2021 onwards to use DLSS, and most bigger third party games, but I'm not expecting much in terms of the back catalog. One benefit, though, is that with the architectural improvements of new ARM cores and Nvidia GPUs, higher memory bandwidth, etc., even if they keep clocks the same for old titles, I'd still expect much more consistent frame rates for old games even without any upgrade, and higher resolutions for games with dynamic resolution.
Unless you think Nintendo is going to throw away all of their existing game engines, then any work they do to add DLSS to their upcoming games could likely be used in their already released games.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
If there are a couple of games that could benefit from DLSS, it would be Astral Chain.

The improved CPU would no-doubt keep un-patched games at least running at the the higher end of their framerate and/or resolution if they have dynamic resolution to begin with. The trouble is, many titles do have a resolution cap that is sub-1080p that could use the extra horsepower to allow it to at least reach a new consistent upper bounds (abeit still at sub-1080p).

The only way to remove those limiters is to patch the game, and at that point, they might as well integrate DLSS while at it.

One thing they could do is have a setting that allows you to play unpatched games in their "docked mode" even when the Switch Pro is still handheld.