Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
It was obvious when it officially went on sale 2 months after release. And then went to 40% off. Just recently, it got an even steeper discount at 50% off.

JW3Dgx2.png
That is completely normal for non-Nintendo games lol.

RE4 remake was $20 the other week and that game was a success.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. So Rebirth really did do worse than XVI. That is completely insane. Maybe they released too close together. But without a doubt, PS5 exclusivity killed the reach of both games. At least they've already pretty much confirmed that's all over. The next mainline FF will launch day and date on all systems, including Nintendo, for the first time in 30 years.

Overall I think this will do a lot to recover the Final Fantasy brand. Nintendo owns a ridiculous share of the Japanese market, and Xbox is still worth porting to for some western sales.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So all those people who said it met expectations and insisted it as having legs despite evidence to the contrary will surely admit they were wrong now, right?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So despite people trying to push one FF game above the other to fit their narratives, in the end everybody lost...

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
Foamstars being exclusive never made sense to me. Why would you make a GAAS, and only put it on one platform?

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
It was obvious when it officially went on sale 2 months after release. And then went to 40% off. Just recently, it got an even steeper discount at 50% off.

JW3Dgx2.png

The goal always was having these types of sales though throughout this time frame. Plus, they are likely betting big on the PC version too.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
These declines taking place across multiple generations, and from one entry in a series to the next, speaks to way bigger issues than exclusivity. Going multiplatform wont stop this decline, they'll just be in decline on multiple platforms.
In the short term, they will see profit gains because the more platforms the game is available on, the more units they will sell. If they sell another 1 million on Xbox and another 2 million on PC, that makes the game more profitable than if they did a PS5 exclusive.

But yes, as games continue to get more and more expensive, this is just a band aid fix and won't actually fix the core issue.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
16 did meet sales targets initially. Now it's not. Guessing they planned in a DLC bounce. They're confident it will hit the 18 month mark, guessing that involves the PC port.

Pretty much. It really looked like they were hoping the DLC would revitalize things but it just landed with a complete thud. The SILENCE when they announced the DLC shadowdrop during the Game Awards was tangible. People just did not care.

It almost feels like heavily marketing Rebirth in the middle of XVI's launch months, combined with Baldur's Gate 3 coming out and absolutely turbo-flattening the RPG hype for 2023, absolutely massacred XVI's sales potential.

It also probably didn't help that, as I've been saying for way too long, stylish action games are just not that popular overall. The genre they picked is less popular than FF already was, and it did not help them grow their sales whatsoever.

In the short term, they will see profit gains because the more platforms the game is available on, the more units they will sell. If they sell another 1 million on Xbox and another 2 million on PC, that makes the game more profitable than if they did a PS5 exclusive.

A million copies on Xbox is a very enthusiastic expectation in an era where Xbox gamers expect games to launch on Game Pass day one and throw fits or don't bother playing them at all if they don't.

Oct 27, 2017
Well tbf it did meet initial expectations, but it sounds like it dropped off much steeper than they expected.
Which is basically what people were saying. The goal was to broaden the FF audience and even adjusted for fanbase (PS4 vs PS5) it sold below FF15, so I don't know why it was so contentious for people to admit that

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
User warned: Accusations of bias
So all those people who said it met expectations and insisted it as having legs despite evidence to the contrary will surely admit they were wrong now, right?

Need actual data than someone who has not shown clear bias against SE and FFXVI first. We don't know what the expectations even are.

oty

Feb 28, 2023
I doubt a dual PC (or even xbox) release would help them hit the figures they wanted considering they wouldn't get extra cash from sony either, 16's non-RPG direction and 7R's structure/fake out put off a lot of people. It might have helped more than the sony bux alone though.
we have zero idea of their internal figures, but considering 3mil was a hit for XVI, a number that is nothing extraordinary, I'm not sure anyone is expecting some insane reach from SE here

So this is unequivocal proof FFXVI didn't reach sales expectations. At least there wont be any more 20+ page debates about that anymore.
it reached launch sales expectations and didnt hit lasting sales expectations. to say it just didnt meet expectations is like saying Rebirth's sales are absolutely abysmal because they did not even reach launch's target, conveniently forgetting the line where they explicitly state that it doesnt mean it "sold badly".

we can use more than one sentence to explain a game's sales lmfao

Oct 25, 2017
Get FF7RIII to wrap up the trilogy and put a pause on FF development until they can formulate a solid package for a next mainline title that can hit the heights of the classics again. Games like XV and XVI have fallen short in many aspects and damaged the brand. They need to earn it back.

The 7R trilogy has tapped into a lot of that magic of the classics by virtue of having a strong foundation to work from with a team that knew how to reinvigorate for a three part requel. But that clearly has a ceiling in regards to growing the brand, and only an original mainline title that's firing on all cylinders like FF7R has been can do that.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Oufties, BOTH major titles missed the mark(at least long term for one). Though it's a good start, I don't think going multiplat is gonna solve this issue, they REALLY gotta get people to give a shit about this franchise again. We'll see if PC ports can get these two titles to make their long term goals, but I'm really curious on how they'll manage to get this series into being a thing again.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle

But yes, as games continue to get more and more expensive, this is just a band aid fix and won't actually fix the core issue.
I don't think the main issue with SE is the same issue as the rest of the industry.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Get FF7III to wrap up the trilogy and put a pause on FF development until they can formulate a solid package for a next mainline title that can hit the heights of the classics again. Games like XV and XVI have fallen short in many aspects and damaged the brand. They need to earn it back.

The 7R trilogy has tapped into a lot of that magic of the classics by virtue of having a strong foundation to work from with a team that knew how to reinvigorate for a three part requel. But that clearly has a ceiling in regards to growing the brand, and only an original mainline title that's firing on all cylinders like FF7R has been can do that.

They literally can't do this. Putting the entire series on hold until Remake 3 comes out means the next mainline FF game won't be out for a decade or more. They cannot let the gap be that wide, the series' mindshare loss would be so catastrophic it would be impossible to ever recover from.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely wonder how close to actually hitting 3m sold-through XVI is at this point. I doubt it's actually there, but I wonder how much the DLC pushed it.

hersheyfan