Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
He's not exactly getting demoted tho, DQ is one of their key IPs but the smartphone games portfolio is arguably the biggest in SE.
My thoughts, exactly. I remember Greg, France's orignal otaku as I like to nickname him, who has been both journalist and manga publisher, explaining on stream that to a game developer, being put in a mobile division is seen as a huge promotion.

Last edited:

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
I hope DQ isn't in too much trouble, but it seems it could be. I wouldn't be surprised if DQ 12 was announced not long after a concept was created just to tie into the anniversary so there oculd still be another year left without a troubled development, but it is just weird to be that DQ3HD isn't out yet, unless it got quietly shafted, unless it went through a major rework. Very weird stuff.
Just hope that they do make a more different DQ game since while them being very consistent style and tone wise is good, to an extent if you've played any of the modern games you kind of have played them all. Still though, I feel like I can actually support hte series with the horrible homophobic composer no longer getting royalties

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The last thing anyone should cheer for is a company releasing as few games as Capcom.
Considering they keep releasing a decent number of games, and really high quality games (DD2's performance is an unfortunate speed bump), Id say more Capcom would be preferrable to less Capcom.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
If you've thought everything was going great at SE and that management was happy with the results of the past few years you shouldn't worry, because why would anything change if things were going great and top leadership was happy?

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I want Square to thrive and after Rebirth they definitely deserve it, so whatever plan they have to generate more profits be it longer development time in exchange for higher quality titles I'm all for it.

In regard to this particular game though 6 years is a long ass time for a title that's not exactly AAA which correct me if I'm wrong DQ is not currently.

DQ is AAA. Those games are high budget because they sell a lot so they can do it. Production quality of XI didnt need to hide (outside Composer being a shitstain) behind any FF or KH.

DQ, FF and KH are Squares three AAA pillars. Nier might be up there now as well, depends on where the next one falls I guess.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
FF16 and FF7rebirth are excellent games. Still can't believe rebirth was done with a 4yr dev cycle ?!

Wish them all the best in the restructuring.

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
FF16 and FF7rebirth are excellent games. Still can't believe rebirth was done with a 4yr dev cycle ?!

Wish them all the best in the restructuring.

Considering they cited keeping the dev team together its like who knew working with people you are familiar with and know their strengths and weakness can make a efficient development

Really wonder if they make pt3 for the 30th anniversary

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Wishful thinking here, but maybe they're just waiting for Switch 2?

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
We are back at dqvii era lol , joking.
Anyway It Is not Easy for dq12.
Dq11 development must have been a big effort with its three versions (3ds version, PS4 & xbox release, than final switch Port edition) with Indeed good Sales but i wonder if they want to do something different this time

Hopefully. And dq3 remake as appetizer ASAP on current gen...

Last edited:

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Good news as far as I'm concerned. There needed to be a shake-up. While fully acknowledging DQXI and its excellence, the development of the DQ series has been a mess for a while now.

It is quite insane that SE went the entire Switch generation without an original mainline DQ game release. Like imagine if Enix/ SE did this during the PS1/PS2 era.

Now the extensive wait continues.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Classing DQXI as a port is annoying. It was literally the first Switch game announced. It ended up being a nightmare for them because the version of Unreal the game was built on didn't support the Switch, meaning they apparently had to do a remake level of work to get it on the system, but yeah. Miss me with the 'original mainline game missing' stuff.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It is pretty crazy that they went the entire Switch generation without an original mainline game released. Hell not even a remake, just one port! The most successful console in Japan ever and mainline DQ doesn't even show up on it, what a waste. Imagine if DQ9 hadn't taken advantage of the DS craze. Something must have gotten wrong somewhere. At least DQ Monster 3 was good (though that was pretty late too).
Technically DQX got a remake. A weirdly low fidelity one only for Japan though for some reason. Real wasted opportunity there.

Missing a lead system's prime isn't too unusual for DQ, it happened with PS1 (VII), Wii (X) and 3DS (XI) too. Actually post SFC, only the Level 5 partnered games really hit in a timely manner (VIII PS2, IX DS).

Last edited:

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, Tojo Clan 4th Chairman is not messing around.

Money_is_power.jpg

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Dragon Quest has not ever been a "release in the early stages of a console cycle" kind of game.

Even if it's a 2026 title, it'll still probably release on Switch 1 or be cross-gen. DQXI came out on 3DS after the Switch came out, DQX came out on Wii just a few months before the Wii U came out, DQVII came out on PS1 a year after the PS2 came out, DQVI came out on the SFC a year after the PS1 came out, etc. etc.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I would classify the "final verison" of DQ11 (DQ11s) to be AAA, its a very, very high quality videogame. But it took a while to get there. Original release didn't even have voice acting. Then when it came to the west, they had added voice acting. But the game still had god awful midi music. Then, the S version added orchestral soundtrack, which was way better. Still suffers from having insanely repetative music (thank fuck for the dq8 music toggle) but at least it sounds proper high quality now.

in any case id expect Dq12 to be a worldwide release right away with full voice acting and a high quality soundtrack right off the gate. I think it's very much aiming to be a triple-ayy release.

DQ is AAA. Those games are high budget because they sell a lot so they can do it. Production quality of XI didnt need to hide (outside Composer being a shitstain) behind any FF or KH.

DQ, FF and KH are Squares three AAA pillars. Nier might be up there now as well, depends on where the next one falls I guess.

Really? I guess 11 looked like it was visually but it's so hard to tell as the game is pretty old school is design. That and I haven't played in 6 years. Do we know what the budget actually was on it?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest has not ever been a "release in the early stages of a console cycle" kind of game.

Even if it's a 2026 title, it'll still probably release on Switch 1 or be cross-gen. DQXI came out on 3DS after the Switch came out, DQX came out on Wii just a few months before the Wii U came out, DQVII came out on PS1 a year after the PS2 came out, DQVI came out on the SFC a year after the PS1 came out, etc. etc.
It's a UE5 game so probably not.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All of this because ya'll didn't buy star ocean, Bravely Default, or Valkyrie Chronicles….

I don't buy them either, but I did buy Neo the world ends with you.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

If its new-gen only for whatever reason(which would be stupid), i cans e why they would need for Switch 2.
PS5 only in Japan would be a disaster.

It's a UE5 game so probably not.
Thats supposed to mean something ? Fortnite is also a UE5 game and out on everything.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Really? I guess 11 looked like it was visually but it's so hard to tell as the game is pretty old school is design. That and I haven't played in 6 years. Do we know what the budget actually was on it?

We sadly barely know that on any SE game outside some info on their prior Western Studios.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but there's literally no other UE5 game on Switch and all the reasons to use it are turned off on that version. Iirc PS4 has twice as many as that (2, the second is Stray Souls).

How many released UE5 gamed had the potential to sell 2-3 million on Switch alone in Japan ? Its obvious why certain games arent on Switch or not using UE 5 - but we know that DQ would be a special case.

I dont see them skipping Switch just because it might no be able to pull off all graphic features, when the last game dropped released on 3DS. They are gonna make it work.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I was hoping it was going to be a 2025 title. Maybe it still could be, I guess — SE is going to need some big release in the April 2025-March 2026 FY, and they're not going to have a mainline FF or an FFXIV expansion then — but that does feel like it's getting less and less likely.
I think that Kingdom Hearts IV is their major 2025 title, DQ12 is 2026 and FFVIIR-3 is 2027.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Wondering if DQ12 is a Switch 2 exclusive and that's why we're not hearing anything about it.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Wondering if DQ12 is a Switch 2 exclusive and that's why we're not hearing anything about it.
I doubt it, the new CEO of Square has been very vocal about wanting all of their games to be multi platform when possible. I think it's going to be a similar reveal to release timeframe as Visions of Mana, it's going to get a trailer with a reveal that it's coming out within 10 months.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

It'd be a great way to ensure it sells really badly. They gotta at bare minimum get a PC version out at launch and probably a PS5 one as well.

Square can't put all their eggs in Switch 2 at once, especially before they have any idea how it'll sell worldwide.

200w.gif

It'd be a great way to ensure it sells really badly. They gotta at bare minimum get a PC version out at launch and probably a PS5 one as well.

Square can't put all their eggs in Switch 2 at once, especially before they have any idea how it'll sell worldwide.
Yep its not an exclusive, Multi Platform is the future/present state for Mainline DQ games.

Also folks its not much a shock DQ12 hasn't been seen:
- Announced early
- DQ Games since DQ7 have always been once per generation (outside the DS remake games and DQ5 PS2) so if anything its still the norm.
- DQ12 is changing alot about the franchise as Yuji Horii stated and said.

PimentaGui

Jul 29, 2021
Something's wrong if you can pull a big AAA Final Fantasy every two years and every other franchise has to wait 7+ to get a major release

Something's wrong if you can pull a big AAA Final Fantasy every two years and every other franchise has to wait 7+ to get a major release
To be fair thats been the thing with Dragon Quest since what DQ7.

Ture I think Square is gonna want fast time tables/smoother releases but people acting like this is a sudden development for the franchise is weird.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of FF (and even that is arguable tbh), it does seem like SE doesn't have a proper production schedule for its big franchises tbh.

DQ, Nier, KH... They all released their last mainline game many years ago with no new mainline entry in sight. Compare that to a well functioning company like Capcom where it seems like they have everything down and are working on a defined schedule.

I wonder if these changes will result in SE having a better schedule for their bigger franchises.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
- DQ Games since DQ7 have always been once per generation (outside the DS remake games and DQ5 PS2) so if anything its still the norm.
DQX and XI were sort of cross-gen though (and progressively multiplatform). DQIX was pretty much the end for the old model and I'm sort of expecting DQXII to also be multiplatforn crossgen. Probably on everything.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't get how we haven't even seen DQ3 Remake again. We first saw it three years ago. Where's it at??

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this helps improving the quality of the DQ spin-offs. Outside of Builders they've been mid at best, often very stripped down games where the main appeal is having cameos or being connected to a main series title but the game itself is a chore to play.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

tbf it wouldn't be surprising because these were all consolidated under Matsuda, this is probably gonna be more of a restructured detangling of these big units to allocate more teams to more projects for those franchises that have potential.