SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Era is (rightly) sour on Microsoft right now but their own store on mobile has been the plan for quite some time. They want to be the payment gateway for all those microtransactions and this is how they plan on doing it. They'll probably use xbox.com/play for this too and let you choose between cloud and on-device apps. I think we'll likely see some phone native versions of popular xbox games (like Sea of Thieves) on it in the next year or so.

I don't exactly think it'll be successful but this is Microsoft's big swing in gaming right now. My gut says, it doesn't work out, Xbox is done done and likely sold/spun off from MS.

Last edited:

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I get it and it makes sense with their recent moves. It's just it seems like herculean task at the moment but it could offer some interesting solutions.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
Era is (rightly) sour on Microsoft right now but their own store on mobile has been the plan for quite some time. They want to be the payment gateway for all those microtransactions and this is how they plan on doing it. They'll probably use xbox.com/play for this too and let you choose between cloud and on-device apps. I think we'll likely see some phone native versions of popular xbox games (like Sea of Thieves) on it in the next year or so.

I don't exactly think it'll be successful but this is Microsoft's big swing in gaming right now. I think if it doesn't work out, Xbox is done done and likely sold/spun off from MS.
Basically this.

I don't get the people who think they shouldnt try at least cause its a tough/almost impossible task. The alternative is then the existing duopoly of mobile app distribution, obviously you may not agree it's a duopoly or its harmful for developers.

Blacklisted

Aug 15, 2021
Proud to be part of Xbox Gaming Division in the past decades. Sad that to see that is over. Hope Microsoft Gaming Division all the best but I will not be part of it. Unless they changed again the strategy (It's not impossible since they are the best doing it).

kakteen

Apr 9, 2024
People says this is bad, but honestly this is something publishers should have done much sooner. Instead of some sort of gamepass. Play Anywhere was in my eyes a real good thing, but they didn't went further with it. Just imagine, you buy something like octopath traveler for steam, oh you want to play it on handheld, download the game on your phone. Apple did this with resi4 remake already. Mobile games like hearthstone, shadowverse etc. also gave you this possibility. same with the steam deck.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
No casual will install extra app stores for candy crush or similar games, but rather switch to candy crash or whatever the fuck the copy pasta games of candy crush are named on the App Store.

Who is this exactly for? Do they actually know the audience for mobile gaming? People play mobile games on the go as a convenience, going through hoops is anything but.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
We will see what happens but these kind of work around seem to go against the nature of the instant gratification mobile purchases bring. The more hoops people have to jump through, the more time they have to consider what they are actually spending their money on.

I felt gross typing out the above stuff but… Yeah.