• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Early impressions
  • b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
    Gonna need some impressions of this, stat
    **TLDR**
    It's okay so far. I'm a little over an hour in and it hasn't brought anything new to the table that any Zelda or Hollow Knight game has done better. Feels pretty chill to run around and whack stuff. There are far fewer enemies that I expected, and I don't really have a grasp on parrying yet. Or I do, and there's zero feedback when you pull it off.

**Souls comparisons**
    Also, any comparisons to S*uls games is unfounded - the combat is not souls-like. It's fast, non-committal, and not very punishing (so far). And the "retrieve your souls after death" mechanic is lifted straight from Hollow Knight's shades mechanic, which itself was inspired by (but not lifted directly from) Dark Souls.

**Hollow Knight comparisons**
    It's 3D Hollow Knight. Minus the metroidvania, plus Super Mario Sunshine levels off the main world.

The first 1.5 hours or so could be broken down as:

85% platforming
    5% combat
    10% exploration

At the beginning of the game I was running into a handful of locked doors with descriptions of where they lead, which I found interesting. Around the time I earned my shield, I also found an Old Key. I thought, "hey, maybe I can use it on one of the dozen or so locked doors I found! What a great way to give me options at the beginning of the game."

Unfortunately all but one of those doors were actually *blocked*, not locked - only one of them was actually unlockable with the key

Potential for future content
  • totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
    Chicago
    From the AMA:

We've got tons of ideas for patches/DLCs/more content for Blue Fire, and are really hoping we get the chance to work on that. But it really depends on how launch goes and what people ask of the game, so we'll see!

I was going to wait for a sale, but with this in mind I'm going to buy it today to support them. They're a young team with a whole lot of energy + excitement around this team. I'm willing to take a gamble in hopes they become the next Team Cherry or Yacht Club, providing crazy value for a passionate fanbase.

Steps for finding the Graveyard Key
  • Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
    Made it past the first dungeon last night and, while I feel kinda bad asking for help because it's been fun going in blind, I'm over being lost. The next area I need to go to is
    the graveyard, I think. I found a locked door to there but I don't have a key. Assuming I just beat the first boss in the forest dungeon, how should I proceed?

Thanks! Enjoying the game so far.

IIRC, you need to

Use your abilities in the stone city area to reach the very top section where there are two horizontal gray beams you need to cross to reach a small alcove where a bar and barkeep is, who will give you a key and a side quest to do.

Free content update confirmed