• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deim0s

Oct 25, 2017
Been a while from playing board games.

Got KoT and the DC/Marvel deckbuilding games recently and got hooked (again). Planning to sleeve everything, so.... umm. *groans*

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Wait is this a new set? I'm so far behind on AG tcg
This is a "Return to..", which is a re-vamping of the core set. The closest similar product to it would be the Nightmare decks in LOTR, but this actually changes the story by providing new location, act/agenda, and encounter cards, as well as providing some upgrades to core set cards.

The current "true" campaign is The Forgotten Age, and the first mythos pack for that released last week, so we're up to scenario 3/8 for that one. To top it off, Labyrinths of Lunacy (the 2017 GenCon standalone) released this week, as well as the latest novel (The Deep Gate, featuring a new investigator, Silas Marsh).

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Been a while from playing board games.

Got KoT and the DC/Marvel deckbuilding games recently and got hooked (again). Planning to sleeve everything, so.... umm. *groans*
Could be worse, I waited to sleeve my legendary marvel till after I had already bought 2 big boxes and 3 small boxes... using my tcg sleeves, and I only got 2/3s of it in mismatched sleeves

Or you could have bought millennium blades

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I have this problem with Hero Realms. I've got all my sleeved cards in the base game box and the campaign box, but it's tight and the box cover doesn't go back on all the way. I think they'll end up doing what they did with Star Realms and a release a storage solution sometime down the line.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Most game inserts are pretty shit, especially for card games. They are experimenting with making some actual storage with the release of the first "Return to..." set for Arkham Horror that releases today.

return-to-the-night-banner.png

This is designed to hold the entire cycle (sleeved), with dividers as well. I haven't looked at it too closely, as I go in "blind" to all of the Arkham stuff, as the narrative experience you get from a first play is amazing and I don't want to spoil that.
That's pretty neat. I just wish they would have thought of stuff like this before so I didn't have to get the big wooden box thingie.

Another thing I find honestly quite annoying with Fantasy Flight LCGs and many LCGs in general, they should sell a pack that includes extra copies of the cards that didn't come in triplets in their core set, so that instead of having to buy multiple core sets because you want a complete collection of the cards they only included a bloody single one of in, you could instead buy a pack of cards that just completes the set easy and hassle free. Mage Wars at least does it with their Tome packs that come with the extra cards if you wanna use multiple in your spellbook that weren't in the base set.

I have this problem with Hero Realms. I've got all my sleeved cards in the base game box and the campaign box, but it's tight and the box cover doesn't go back on all the way. I think they'll end up doing what they did with Star Realms and a release a storage solution sometime down the line.
They already did. :P

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Could be worse, I waited to sleeve my legendary marvel till after I had already bought 2 big boxes and 3 small boxes... using my tcg sleeves, and I only got 2/3s of it in mismatched sleeves

Or you could have bought millennium blades
I would never sleeve Millennium Blades. That would be insane amount of sleeves for cards that you might see once. Unless your group is an avid Millennium Blades fan, we played may be 3 or 4 times and I don't think we used half of the cards. (So don't ask why I got that expansion box probably because of my OCD and the fact that it was on clearance for $8

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Anyone have any experience with AVP: The hunt Begins 2nd edition? I know the first game wasn't too fondly received but it seems the new edition fixed a lot of the issues. I think I've read it's similar to Space Hulk, is that accurate?

It's quite a bit more complicated than Space Hulk. It's got more options to play around with and three factions, but the rules are more in line with a wargame's rules that are being put onto a board game tile set. It's not overly complex but it can be intimidating when you pull out the 60+ page rulebook. The basic rules for the game doesn't require reading the whole thing at least and the 2nd edition is much smoother experience in all manners (especially the figures not having to be built part). The game has some cool ideas with creating an AI system for horde mode like matches, as well as allowing players to buy expansion packs to create custom forces of Marines, Aliens, or Predator factions.

protonion

Dec 10, 2017
Just a reminder.
2 days left for Black Sonata kickstarter. All stretch goals reached.
Solo gamers do not miss this.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I grabbed two of the Unlock! games from a Gamestop yesterday for $4.30-something. I know the Unlock! and EXIT games have had a fair amount of fans/hype since they started coming out, so I figured why not?
Almost picked up Monikers on clearance at Target but I'm hoping it drops lower soon, $17 isn't good enough for me yet. Same with the clearance copies of Codenames Pictures and Machi Koro Bright Lights Big Cities, I need another price drop out of them.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Just a reminder.
2 days left for Black Sonata kickstarter. All stretch goals reached.
Solo gamers do not miss this.

Sell me on it. Have you played it? Seems like every kickstarter these days has a dozen 'reviewers' praising it, so I'm just a bit skeptical, plus I can't really imagine how this one plays, but I keep coming back to look at it. The price seems quite fair.

Got my copy of Big Trouble in Little China a few days ago. I was worried I made another bad impulse decision, but it actually looks quite good. Can't wait to play it.

Oh, any thoughts on Dungeon Degenerates? The second printing kickstarter is live. Personally I dig the art and was ready to go in, but I just can't justify the prices on it. Why do a few lowish quality cardboard character sheets and a few cards cost 40 dollars? Is it really reasonable to charge 55 dollars for 4 metal minis? If you want everything in this game, the base game, the 8 extra characters, and then the metal miniatures sets for all those characters, it's 400-500 dollars.

I love the look of the game, and I understand it's a smaller scale publishing effort, but isn't this ridiculous? Come on..

protonion

Dec 10, 2017
Sell me on it. Have you played it? Seems like every kickstarter these days has a dozen 'reviewers' praising it, so I'm just a bit skeptical, plus I can't really imagine how this one plays, but I keep coming back to look at it. The price seems quite fair.

You have to see the playthrough video.
It's the stealth deck. The way it handles the dark lady's movement is brilliant.
I am a solo only gamer and do a lot of research on solo games and I have not seen anything like it.

Plus with all the stretch goals you will get a quality product.

And speaking of solo...

I'd like some opinions on solo Scythe and especially Pericles from GMT games. The last one has a pretty advanced AI system but I fear it is too complicated.

I am still waiting for Conflict of Heroes Storm of Steel second edition. Many say that the AI deck for the previous game is the best.

Oct 25, 2017
After 4 months or so due to the printing equipment being down, my autographed copy of Leaving Earth showed up in the mail today with no warning. Hurray!!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Got to play a game of Sherrif of Nottingham with my sister, brother in law, and an old buddy who was running the shop that day(it was a store demo) had a great time, and I think my sister may pick it up

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think I have to sit down and really read through the rules for Arkham LCG because when my gf and I sat down to play it, it was really awkward in terms of how it went down. Not sure if I was handling combat wrong or what. Just didn't feel right.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I think I have to sit down and really read through the rules for Arkham LCG because when my gf and I sat down to play it, it was really awkward in terms of how it went down. Not sure if I was handling combat wrong or what. Just didn't feel right.

FFG has a great video that walks you through how to play

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Awaken Realms does a better job in box size/storage design with Nemesis. Received Lords of Hellas yesterday, and the foundation/back had already split in a corner due to how much was stuffed in there. Lid was already raised quite a bit in the wrap.

Managed to pick up a copy of Love Letter Premium and Memoir 44, so I'm looking forward to diving into the latter. Also received my Green Horde Wave 2...still ridiculous how much is thrown in to the KS for CMON titles.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good intro walk though for Netrunner? I want to know how to play really well before I try to rope my wife in.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope Awaken Realms does a better job in box size/storage design with Nemesis. Received Lords of Hellas yesterday, and the foundation/back had already split in a corner due to how much was stuffed in there. Lid was already raised quite a bit in the wrap.

Managed to pick up a copy of Love Letter Premium and Memoir 44, so I'm looking forward to diving into the latter. Also received my Green Horde Wave 2...still ridiculous how much is thrown in to the KS for CMON titles.

I very much agree. Luckily, I got the Lords of Hellas terrain expansion as well. I tossed the insert out of it to hold the sleeved cards and now I have more room in the main game box.

Anyway, our group really liked our first game of it. We are looking forward to trying it again this weekend.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I just grabbed spirit island on a whim because I had a fifteen dollar credit on toys and games from Amazon. Anybody have experience playing it with two players?

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017

They really mess up the box size and probably couldn't change it due to shipping cost. (that was one of the reason why some KS game lost so much money, they up the box size during production and ended up can not ship them at the same cost). Anyway, yes the box is pretty crap and insert useless but the game is actually pretty good (really surprise me).

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Finally got to try thunderstone quest, it might be my favorite deck builder I've played. The story stuff feels fairly forgettable but the mechanics are really strong.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finally got to try thunderstone quest, it might be my favorite deck builder I've played. The story stuff feels fairly forgettable but the mechanics are really strong.

Is it significant different than previous versions of Thunderstone? I enjoyed the original release (and early expansions), but soon lost interest. I tried again with the Advance reboot, but it was pretty much the same.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Is it significant different than previous versions of Thunderstone? I enjoyed the original release (and early expansions), but soon lost interest. I tried again with the Advance reboot, but it was pretty much the same.

Hard to say since I've not actually played the older thunderstones.

Some of the changes I recall from the instruction book include that enemies now deal wounds to the player that limit the number of cards you can draw till healed, items in town now have victory points, there is a new side quest, guild, and treasure systems in place, and light is now used to determine how far you can go into a dungeon. There is a lot more but I remember those sticking out to me.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
How long did a session last and is it fast to play?

It took us 3 hours, but that included opening the game, finding all the cards we needed, figuring out where all the cards went and which ones to not use, learning the rules, playing the game, and then figuring out how to put the game back together. We played 2 players I imagine that once we play again the 60-90 minutes on the side of the box is accurate.

With the basic cards and campaign 1 cards all nice and divided I'm pretty sure I could set up the whole game in under 10 minutes. That's how nice the divider system is.

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone used this for the Netrunner cards? I am looking for something that makes the game transportable (vacations and camping)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LJ6YD5M/ref=psdc_166239011_t1_B00OI24RJG

Edit: Although someone commented that this does not fit the box for the revised core set. Ugh.

My collection is a goddamn mess right now, but I bought long white card boxes for organization, whenever I get to it. I store the bulk of the collection that way, build decks and take those decks with me when I go play.

Depending on how much you want to bring, you could just use deck boxes. I can easily fit four decks in the one (2 Runner and 2 Corp).
https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-Bl...deck+boxes&dpPl=1&dpID=51OI+0RH+8L&ref=plSrch

It's small and compact which is great for travel. As far as the tokens you can just grab a ziplock baggie, or grab a small Plano box.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
I actually ended up ordering the condensed version of that organizer. It looks like it will work well, and I would prefer to have everything in one box if I can. Especially since I will not have tons of cards outside of the couple expansions I could find. I am still debating sleeves. I will not be doing tournaments or anything.

Edit: Do you guys ever see the deluxe expansion boxes for sale at the FFG website?

Last edited:

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up seeing the R&R expansion go on preorder status on the website. I placed my order but no way it I should out of stock. I wonder if it was real. I got and email with an order number....

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
So I really like the mafia/werewolf games, but so far at parties we've used a deck of cards and a narrator with basic roles (Mafia, Healer, VIllager)

Is this the best board game of its kind for this kind of game https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/147949/one-night-ultimate-werewolf

I notice lots of board games around this concept but Id like one with fun roles. The fun of using a deck of cards is that it requires little to no set up. You can sit in a circle with just your playing card without needing to sit at a table, so Im not looking for something too hands on. The more casual the more fun

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from One Night not being a board game - yes. There's an app for it to serve as the narrator too, which works great. You can definitely sit on the ground in a circle. It's fun, give it a try.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The One Night games are a bit different than the full on Werewolf/Mafia you describe SecondNature . They aren't the long form deduction thing with tons of rounds, but are instead, as the title suggests only one night each. They're fun too, but are a little more random and nonsense filled then a full on Werewolf game which has a slower pace.

If you want just straight up Werewolf that you've been playing I know there's plenty of versions that are just decks of cards with tons of roles. Ultimate Werewolf is the one that comes to mind.

For similar lying/social deduction games, my favorites are Resistance: Avalon and Secret Hitler.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alien and Vampire (and even Daybreak) step up the complexity quite a bit. I'd recommend starting with One Night Ultimate Werewolf, but a few of the expansion roles are interesting to mix in with base ONUW if for some reason you want to buy a bunch of the games at once.

Note that all the One Night games are much, much faster than standard Werewolf/Mafia.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I don't own the others so I honestly can't tell you, sorry

The One Night games are a bit different than the full on Werewolf/Mafia you describe SecondNature . They aren't the long form deduction thing with tons of rounds, but are instead, as the title suggests only one night each. They're fun too, but are a little more random and nonsense filled then a full on Werewolf game which has a slower pace.

If you want just straight up Werewolf that you've been playing I know there's plenty of versions that are just decks of cards with tons of roles. Ultimate Werewolf is the one that comes to mind.

For similar lying/social deduction games, my favorites are Resistance: Avalon and Secret Hitler.

Thanks guys.

I like the idea of eliminations, as opposed to one night only. But Ill watch gameplay to see what its like

Do u prefer ultimate werewolf? Resistance seems board game focused, but Ill check it out thanks

There is an online version called town of salem that has night eliminations and day voting (so players eliminate at night and vote off who they think is evil in the day)

The game lasts about 10-15 minutes, so Im assuming a card game like that exists too

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Town of Salem can only go so fast because of how strictly it enforces timers, getting to avoid all the "close your eyes" stuff by being digital and by that it handles all voting automatically instead of requiring counts or anything like that. I've found normal Werewolf games with eliminations and rounds are gonna take longer.

I think One Night and Werewolf both have their place. I usually stray more towards One Night and the other games I mentioned because I'm not the biggest fan of long games with player elimination. And I don't often have a big enough group to play a real good game of full on Werewolf.

I can also take this opportunity to recommend the excellent play by post Mafia community here on ResetEra. I haven't played in a game in awhile due to lack of time, but they are very fun: https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...rder-new-players-welcome-sign-ups-open.13717/

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Anyone got a suggestion for a good roll and write that's more complicated then quixx (which I own) but is still easy to bring out and play with non gamers?