• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
So my gaming group has had a copy of Oath sitting around for months that we finally all decided to sit down and learn to play and...opinions were pretty split on it?

One of my friends found it really compelling and dynamic but the other felt that the Chancellor was simply too overpowered and couldn't see a clear strategy or path to victory as an Exile, to the point that they're not very interested in playing the game again. Oh well.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
So my gaming group has had a copy of Oath sitting around for months that we finally all decided to sit down and learn to play and...opinions were pretty split on it?

One of my friends found it really compelling and dynamic but the other felt that the Chancellor was simply too overpowered and couldn't see a clear strategy or path to victory as an Exile, to the point that they're not very interested in playing the game again. Oh well.
Isn't the whole point that the Chancellor changes from game to game along with the power dynamics of the different players? I'm pretty sure it is not meant to be played as a one-off thing.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
Oath is like Blood on the Clocktower. You can't play it as a one off. You need a few games before it has a chance to click.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna sell like 65 percent of my collection. I just never get it played.
Gonna attempt to just take a picture of it all and post on offer up and have people message per game

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
I think I'm gonna sell like 65 percent of my collection. I just never get it played.
Gonna attempt to just take a picture of it all and post on offer up and have people message per game
I go through purges regularly (i know my collection is small by most standards) as we have a great but small 100 year old bungalow. And often the biggest factor is will i ever get to play it. I love the idea of campaign games but at almost 50 most of my friends are busy and just can't commit to them. It's funny Lands of Galzyr is really a 'legacy game' that we get to the table quite often.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
I think regular purges have to happen for anyone these days with a significant collection/addiction. Crowdfunding has led to a lot of games where publishers have a cool idea with minis or even a half-baked idea that they will fix it in second edition. Plus, there are so many retail games even released in a year that it's very hard to buy only keepers. I'm being much more selective these days but still have lots of trimming to do in my collection.

I've completely given up on campaign games. There's absolutely no way I will find time for those games anymore. Something like Oath or Arcs.. maybe but a full on campaign/RPG.. out of the question.

Salamando

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the final stages of a purge myself. At my highest I was around 200 titles, now I'm down to around 80. Still feels like a lot TBH. The truth is in the numbers - I meet up with friends once a week to play games. If I play one of my games each week, I could still only justify 50...and we don't play one of my games each week.

As a collective I feel like we have too many games - probably over 500 unique titles across 4 people. In having so many games, we've kind of made all of the games...suck. Any game that does hit the table, I know I won't see it again for 18+ months. There's a solid chance I'll never see it again. Every game, I have to relearn before playing. Strategy? Exploring the depth of a game? A dream...

Tried talking to my friends about it, the problem persists. One spends money like his dollars have an expiration date, the other will buy anything on sale, "So that their collection can meet the needs of anyone they need to host." (they don't have a board game cafe, they just dream of entertaining that many people)

Oh god, Oath. The distance between "how much I wanted to like it" and "how poorly it landed with my group" was enormous. One friend had a similar issue of not knowing what to do...which, yeah, exiles path is unclear until they get a Vision to work with. Usurping the chancellor isn't easy, but trying to win at something no one else is? Bit easier!

And the effort it would take to find a gaming group with which to play the game repeatedly made Oath a victim of my latest purge...

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
I too know the cycle of binge and purge. I think I'm 150 right now. Would like to be lighter but having storage makes it too easy to hold on.

Mr. Lemming

Oct 25, 2017
What does everyone do when they purge their collection? I need to do so on the order of probably 100ish games or so. I've been donating to the local school library anything that's relatively easy to pick up and play but for more complicated games ive been selling what I can on eBay but otherwise I have a bunch that just have no interest there or it doesn't make economic sense to sell.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
What does everyone do when they purge their collection? I need to do so on the order of probably 100ish games or so. I've been donating to the local school library anything that's relatively easy to pick up and play but for more complicated games ive been selling what I can on eBay but otherwise I have a bunch that just have no interest there or it doesn't make economic sense to sell.

Places like goodwill will take your games. If you want to donate. I too need to purge but probably in the order of 500 games or so. LOL

Shuckle

Mar 30, 2018
I'm following a local buy/sell/trade group on Facebook. It is pretty active. I haven't sold anything on there yet but I probably will soon. I've started collecting some more games but I am more selective in what I am looking for now. I don't play as much these days but I recognize that I kind of enjoy collecting/curating too so it doesn't bother me that much that they may rarely get played. So now I mostly go for old school euros/Reiner Knizia games.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
You have to be prepared to let games go for a loss if you want to purge. At some point I accepted that I'd rather have the space than make my money back on the game.

People are also a lot more likely to buy something where they pay ~10-15 in shipping if the base price is low.

Also, use PirateShip to get good rates.

ALSO, don't try to do it all at once unless you are gonna drop them off at a convention or something. You'll just overwhelm yourself in terms of packing and taking at all that stuff to the post office.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Are there any cool party games that came out recently? I know this is late but I was hoping to surprise my family with something cool for Easter.

Wits and Wagers and One Night Ultimate Werewolf are always huge hits. We had a get-together about a month ago and I grabbed SteamUp, which everyone liked but was kind of a one-and-done for me personally. The last new game I bought before that was Wavelength, which was a HUGE hit.

No strict requirements for theme or number of players or anything. More than four, like 6-8, would be cool, but not necessary.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Are there any cool party games that came out recently? I know this is late but I was hoping to surprise my family with something cool for Easter.

Wits and Wagers and One Night Ultimate Werewolf are always huge hits. We had a get-together about a month ago and I grabbed SteamUp, which everyone liked but was kind of a one-and-done for me personally. The last new game I bought before that was Wavelength, which was a HUGE hit.

No strict requirements for theme or number of players or anything. More than four, like 6-8, would be cool, but not necessary.

Ready set bet

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

Green team (player?) wins is pretty good.

Hues and Cues

Wavelength

Courfeyrac

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

Not that recent, but Telestrations tends to go down well with my groups - base game goes up to 8 players and really needs around 6 before the game starts to really shine.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Dodos Riding Dinos is mario kart the board game. Rules are pretty simple, game doesn't take long to play and you can play with up to 8 players individually or in teams of 2.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Isn't the whole point that the Chancellor changes from game to game along with the power dynamics of the different players? I'm pretty sure it is not meant to be played as a one-off thing.
That's the sense that I get, unfortunately my friend is the kind of player that doesn't have much patience for legacy elements that aren't specifically in co-op legacy games. This same friend bounced off Mind Mgmt. when we played that a couple times because he didn't enjoy the player dynamics even though you have the potential to change them with the SHIFT system. He's not a jerk about it or anything but he makes it clear he's not very interested in investing the time to see of the game evolves I to something he'd enjoy more, especially when we could just break out Root again.
Oh god, Oath. The distance between "how much I wanted to like it" and "how poorly it landed with my group" was enormous. One friend had a similar issue of not knowing what to do...which, yeah, exiles path is unclear until they get a Vision to work with. Usurping the chancellor isn't easy, but trying to win at something no one else is? Bit easier!

And the effort it would take to find a gaming group with which to play the game repeatedly made Oath a victim of my latest purge...
Yeah, I'm with you, it's a bummer because even though I was getting trounced by the Chancellor as well I was still enjoying my defeats because their was real tension when I felt like I was actually managing to bite and crawl my way towards victory, but could still pivot in a new direction if a new victory condition popped up.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
My plan for my purge is to first offer anything to offer games at a giga discount to anyone in my local friend or gaming groups, followed by giving away games to family who might be interested. Anything that remains goes to good will. "Getting my money back" isn't the goal, getting the space back is so that I can fill it with new games

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta sort through the pile and bring some stuff to a local library or something to drop it off, there's so many things on my shelf that I'm just never gonna play. RIP.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I did a recent purge of a few things.

The problem is that I get very nostalgic as I try to do so and won't get rid of stuff even when I know I'll never play it again. Like Mwhu-Ha-Ha! And Versus.

Neverfade

Oct 25, 2017
Let's see these rumored purge lists posted. My constitution is not weak and I will line these walls with more games!

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I keep putting off purging because it's quite frankly grown to be a major pain in the ass compared to 5 years ago between shipping rates and fewer physical game stores, with less who take in secondhand games. I don't see how anyone gets anything reasonably back unless you have something rare-and-in-demand, or have the hook up for direct sale at a major convention.

There's just also some stuff that can be difficult to place in the donation space. Batman Gotham City Chronicles 1.0 and HATE come to mind, being so bulky and unattractive.

Edit: Maybe I'll get a list up here and folks can throw suggestions on what they feel is best.

Last edited:

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
It's just a board game desert where I live. I went to a local board game store flea market and was only able to offload Betrayal at House on the Hill. It was about 25 people all selling half assembled Warhammer miniatures. I was literally the only person who brought any board games.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a board game desert where I live. I went to a local board game store flea market and was only able to offload Betrayal at House on the Hill. It was about 25 people all selling half assembled Warhammer miniatures. I was literally the only person who brought any board games.

I'm surprised that many showed up for the Warhammer stuff. I am guessing that store is more of a wargamer scene than board games? I've been to some of those.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
After playing through the first 4 scenarios - 7th Citadel is stricly improved 7th Continent. Scenarios are MUCH quicker and it really seems like they learned a lot from the first game. It's a blast!

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised that many showed up for the Warhammer stuff. I am guessing that store is more of a wargamer scene than board games? I've been to some of those.
Warhammer is probably the most commonly supported and present tabletop community at FLGSs next to the big card games in every region I've lived or visited. Always surprises me.

Oct 25, 2017
Let's see these rumored purge lists posted. My constitution is not weak and I will line these walls with more games!
I'm selling like 90 percent of this (not return to dark tower, najimi, Azul, calico and ticket to ride and some party games for my wife)
But if you see anything hit me up before I list em

ibb.co

IMG-7831 hosted at ImgBB

Image IMG-7831 hosted in ImgBB
ibb.co

IMG-7832 hosted at ImgBB

Image IMG-7832 hosted in ImgBB
ibb.co

IMG-7833 hosted at ImgBB

Image IMG-7833 hosted in ImgBB
ibb.co

IMG-7834 hosted at ImgBB

Image IMG-7834 hosted in ImgBB
ibb.co

IMG-7835 hosted at ImgBB

Image IMG-7835 hosted in ImgBB
ibb.co

IMG-7836 hosted at ImgBB

Image IMG-7836 hosted in ImgBB

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
I'm really close to pulling trigger on Imperium: Horizons. I quite liked Imperium: Classics as a solo card game and have been pondering getting Imperium: Legends too, even if Classics didn't fully click for me like it seems to have clicked for many other people - some more complex and interesting factions of Legends or Horizons boxes might do the trick. The improved rules that are also compatible with Classics/Legends and new content intrigues me and I think it MIGHT actually click with more content and more playing, but I'm way too stingy with money right now to just do it.

Anyone here played it and got insight to share?

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Imperium ultimately didn't really do it for me as a solo game. I had both the Classics and Legends boxes, which I ended up selling.

More factions didn't really help the feeling that running the bot was more of a chore than the game itself, and the bot's method is just a bunch of 'cheating' (like how it scores points for every resource it randomly amasses- that's just BS).

I really like Osprey's game output so it was disappointing to get disenchanted with this one. I like their Undaunted solo a lot more.

Last edited:

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I got the first run of it and have enjoyed it so far, though it's very different from its lineage (LOTR, Arkham, Marvel Champs). The world interactivity is very well done, though.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Imperium ultimately didn't really do it for me as a solo game. I had both the Classics and Legends boxes, which I ended up selling.

More factions didn't really help the feeling that running the bot was more of a chore than the game itself, and the bot's method is just a bunch of 'cheating' (like how it scores points for every resource it randomly amasses- that's just BS).

I really like Osprey's game output so it was disappointing to get disenchanted with this one. I like their Undaunted solo a lot more.
I think it really shines as a two-player game, but that's the only way I've played it. There looks like too much upkeep for a solo game.

The biggest consideration with Horizons is that most of the lower complexity civs have to be played with the included "trade routes" expansion which adds more complexity but also makes the game less confrontational.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
I ordered it from the newer Kickstarter thing after that glowing SU&SD review recently. It seemed like it would hit all the right notes with my group. So I guess you can ask me again in like 2 years...

LOL I can't wait that long!

I got the first run of it and have enjoyed it so far, though it's very different from its lineage (LOTR, Arkham, Marvel Champs). The world interactivity is very well done, though.

Cool are you playing it solo?

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
For those that had it, the On Tour app is now the Allplay app. You can still play On Tour, but now you can also play Mountain Goats, and use a companion app for A Message from the Stars.

Last edited:

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
oGrWUCO.jpeg

Gonna be a good while before we get to it 'cause we are just about to start Oathsworn. But, our NEXT next game just showed up. Worst packaging ever. Multiple boxes are dented, and a broken miniature. But, I am still excited to learn this beast of a game.

Last edited:

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Kickstarter stuff has gotten so expensive. But, the fomo got me with it. The creator has said he doesn't intend to ever reprint everything ever again. It is essentially a one man show and he has worn himself ragged getting this all out. Not sure he actually made much, if anything, off this, either. He took the hit to his bottom line on raised shipping costs, unlike a lot of bigger companies.

Speaking of large kickstarters. Had this bad boy show up like a month ago:

iHdITHU.jpeg

Don't wanna do two boss battlers back to back. So, my next two years of gaming will be Oathsworn, then Dungeon Universalis, then Primal. Have one more big ass kick starter out there with Zombicide White Death. But, I will probably play that with my nieces and nephews on the side.

But, done with kickstarters for a good couple of years.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
DRFNrw3.jpeg

Started getting Oathsworn set up. Excited to use the table I made back in December finally. Also glad I made the table as big as possible. 'Cause, man, games are huge.