Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
240513-boat-california-fence-mb-1239-25f7e9.jpg

A California man who was ordered to keep his boat out of sight has had the last laugh, by commissioning an artist to paint a realistic image of it on the fence that obscures it.

Etienne Constable, from Seaside, California, was told in July last year by local government officials that he had to build a 6-foot fence to hide the boat from view of his neighbors.

But in a light-hearted jibe at officialdom, Constable decided to follow the directive, which said nothing about how the fence should be decorated, and asked local artist Hanif Panni to create a mural that makes it look as if the fence isn't there.

"I'm not a rule-breaker but I like to make a political statement as necessary as well as a humorous statement and a creative statement,"

www.nbcnews.com

Man gets realistic picture of his boat painted on fence intended to hide it

Etienne Constable was told to build a 6-foot fence to hide the boat from view of his neighbors — but he got an image of the boat painted onto the fence.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
i love everything about this

shits on authority, helps local artist, show insane amounts of pettiness

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This is the kind of pettiness I can get behind.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that is super clever, and hilarious.

I am confused, though: what is the issue with the boat being visible in the first place? I've never heard of such a restriction.

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
I cant believe how dystopian america is in so many things. It's actually insane.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
I had a large above ground pool one summer on a newer property that didn't have a complete fence covering the backyard. A neighbor complained to the city bylaw officers, more because they didn't like young people having a good time in the evenings. So I rented the ugliest biggest rustiest construction fence I could find and put it all around my yard, front and back. No more bylaw issues.

Had lots of pool parties and I left that eyesore there until I moved the next year.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I love everything about this.

Why did he need to hide that boat in the first place?

Cars everywhere, junk everywhere but god forbid people can see your boat?

Wow, that is super clever, and hilarious.

I am confused, though: what is the issue with the boat being visible in the first place? I've never heard of such a restriction.

The article says the guy is from Seaside, California. Assuming that's where this house is, it looks like like a wealthy/affluent neighborhood with homes going for $750k- 2.5 million (not a surprise given the guy owns a boat).

I guarantee you is his rich neighbors complained that his boat ruined the "aesthetic" of the street or some petty bullshit. That's the sort of stupid thing that rich folks can afford to get upset about.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's no rule that says a dog can't paint a fence to look like its boat while playing basketball!

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
The article says the guy is from Seaside, California. Assuming that's where this house is, it looks like like a wealthy/affluent neighborhood with homes going for $750k- 2.5 million (not a surprise given the guy owns a boat).

I guarantee you is his rich neighbors complained that his boat ruined the "aesthetic" of the street or some petty bullshit. That's the sort of stupid thing that rich folks can afford to get upset about.

This is not true for that area. It's fairly close to the Bay Area and housing in that region starts at a high price so it doesn't necessarily mean it's a wealthy neighborhood at all. Not to mention, they could have been a long time owner and didn't pay anywhere close to those prices.

Dec 30, 2020
It still reminds me of the old law they had for automobiles, that if a horse was approaching you had to pull off to the side of the road and cover your vehicle in a tarp, or disassemble it, so as not to spook the horse.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
This is not true for that area. It's fairly close to the Bay Area and housing in that region starts at a high price so it doesn't necessarily mean it's a wealthy neighborhood at all. Not to mention, they could have been a long time owner and didn't pay anywhere close to those prices.

Yeah, I used to live in Monterey (not rich, I was stationed there in the Army), and Seaside is considered the "bad part" of the area. I mean, that's still relatively speaking, I suppose. But the really rich people live in nearby Pacific Grove.