• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Native release of cloud?

• Native port

Votes: 129 50.8%
  • Cloud

Votes: 125 49.2%

• Total voters

Raigor

May 14, 2020
WDr0Znj.png

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Doctre81 ahead of the curve, again.

Really curious how this will run...natively or cloud?

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
This game ran veeeery poorly on my One X.

I'll very very surprised if they fan pull off a native porr

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
They ported Borderlands 2 to Vita so I imagine it'll be a native port. The name would mention Cloud if it wasn't.

hog

Mar 9, 2021
This game was barely playable on base PS4. If this is a native port it'll be a total nightmare.

Last edited:

tobes231

Prophet of Truth
Jul 10, 2019
Australia
Heavily downgraded native port I'd say. Plenty of things you could turn off to make it look more like BL2.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It would be called cloud version if this was a cloud version. Just like every other Switch cloud game.

It's a native port. The question is whether it's on the base model or just the revision (I believe it will be on both).

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
This is really important so I need to know. The quality of the rest of my day crucially depends on it.

So here goes.

Is... Is this going to tie in with the Borderlands Cinematic Universe?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I guess Borderlands, Bioshock and X-Com ports last year did well enough for them. Makes sense.
Not for me though.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a cloud game it's a native port. By the same port studios who ported first three games.

And I think cloud gaming on Switch is kinda dead. A failed experiment. Nothing has followed Control and Hitman 3. They don't need a porting process, all they have to do is upload the damn game.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a cloud game it's a native port. By the same port studios who ported first three games.

And I think cloud gaming on Switch is kinda dead. A failed experiment. Nothing has followed Control and Hitman 3. They don't need a porting process, all they have to do is upload the damn game.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off more cloud games. We know RE3R is planned for instance, and I think RE8 too.

Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't happen.

Assy Grass

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 30, 2021
Wasnt everyone convinced the Witcher 3 would also be a cloud version and then it turned out to be a native port lol

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
I dont have a pro but i seriously doubt Borderlands 3 ran worse than Xcom2

Well for me it did. In any of the graphics modes.

Aside from FPS issues, crashes, bugs, tearing, freezes, sound bugs etc. the game also has an even smaller and less readable UI/ UX than its predecessors (even in 4k on a 60"). So they'd have to invest heavily into some UI alterations to make a Switch version viable.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Huh, bit surprising as the game can be pretty demanding at times even on PC.
I wish they got the Doom Eternal port studio on it instead of the devs behind the previous Borderlands ports. Thsoe ports apparently had some quality issues here and there that I'm not sure were ever fixed.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
usually directors cut versions of games are like "GOTY" versiosn with all content and optimizations and stuff, i dont blame anyone for thinking that

but in pitchfordish it means "shitty dlc"
Well I guess that makes sense, but surely the optimisation here we're talking about would be major engine level stuff.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Endgame characters with crazy particle effects guns and high level enemies in hordes continue to cause massive framerate drops even on an RTX 3070 at 1440p with nowhere near max graphics, so im really curious how this will work out.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
BD3 is far less optimised than Doom.

I'm not doubting you, but every time an 'impossible' port is hinted at for the Switch, someone always mentions previous ports and then theres always a comment of "yeah but this game isn't as optimized as that game.'

And outside of Ark, (and before patching, Outer Worlds) they mostly turn out totally fine.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
usually directors cut versions of games are like "GOTY" version with all content and optimizations and stuff, i dont blame anyone for thinking that

Borderlands 3 Director's Cut is the name of the second part of the BL3 season pass 2, not a new version of the entire game.
But I guess they could use the name for the switch release of the game with all dlc or something.

Last edited:

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Unless they have completely overhauled and re-optimised the base game, I don't see this running well at all native. 720p and below, cut effects, low setting or below textures and some more aggressive LOD culling might help. If they can get it running at 30fps solidly I'd be impressed.

Then again, it couldn't be worse than BL2 PSPVita

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Borderlands 3 Director's Cut is the name of the second part of the BL3 season pass 2, not a new version of the entire game.

....that's what i said

And there's already a name for a version with base game + both season passes and all other pre-order trinkets they gave

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if I could play this on Switch, as much as I love both Borderlands and Switch. Playing it on PS5 at 120 feels amazing, IMO.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
usually directors cut versions of games are like "GOTY" version with all content and optimizations and stuff, i dont blame anyone for thinking that

Lol you must not be happy with DLC6's existence huh

Dunno if I could play this on Switch, as much as I love both Borderlands and Switch. Playing it on PS5 at 120 feels amazing, IMO.

It sure does, holy shit.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't this game have performance and quality modes on PS4? What's stopping them from doing 1080p/30 or even 720p/30? This'll be a native port.