• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Vault Hunter are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Moze the Gunner

Votes: 403 20.9%
  • Amara the Siren

Votes: 504 26.1%
  • Zane the Operative

Votes: 360 18.6%
  • FL4K the Beastmaster

Votes: 664 34.4%

• Total voters
Jan 10, 2018
How fucking long is this game. I must have 30 hours in and I'm doing bogus fetch quest after fetch quest. Why is everything broken up and spread around in this fucking universe.

Why does it feel that game developers make their games artificially long. It seems to be a recent phenomenon in my experience. And it's always in first person games. This game has nothing new to say or do after 15 hours. The environments are really awesome, I'll give it that. But Jesus Christ if I hear "now go get the next piece", "find the second part", "oh shit you need this piece" one god fucking time....

Totally agree with you on everything. It makes for some really poor pacing and a lot of dragged out boring moments. There's no reason for the excess that is on display here. A shorter and tighter story experience would've been much more prefered. Save the bloated repetition for end game.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah me too. Hopefully their pet and moze's mech can get buffs in mayhem mode somehow
Yeah this is one of things i hated about how the characters were presented leading up to launch (Fl4k and Amara specifically)

In BL2, you had less options in how you're overall build would look because each tree was just sort of a tangential offshoot of whatever your one main ability was which essentially allowed all builds and playstyles to be pretty viable throughout.

Here, with the 3 different playstyles for each character, (FL4K and Amara in particular) you can tell some playstyles aren't going to be as viable in the end game. Fl4k is marketed as the crazy crit killing machine and Amara is the upclose elemental brawler and as anecdotal as it maybe, all the footage i've seen of people playing these characters in endgame as been with builds based around this as if thats the guaranteed bang for you buck

And while respecing is obviously a thing where you can move into those playstyles if need be, it's just frustrating to feel like the game is predicated on giving you more options in terms of how you play with each vault hunter but as you move into the end game you basically have to min/max to a degree that ignores two whole other playstyles.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah this is one of things i hated about how the characters were presented leading up to launch (Fl4k and Amara specifically)

In BL2, you had less options in how you're overall build would look because each tree was just sort of a tangential offshoot of whatever your one main ability was which essentially allowed all builds and playstyles to be pretty viable throughout.

Here, with the 3 different playstyles for each character, (FL4K and Amara in particular) you can tell some playstyles aren't going to be as viable in the end game. Fl4k is marketed as the crazy crit killing machine and Amara is the upclose elemental brawler and as anecdotal as it maybe, all the footage i've seen of people playing these characters in endgame as been with builds based around this as if thats the guaranteed bang for you buck

And while respecing is obviously a thing where you can move into those playstyles if need be, it's just frustrating to feel like the game is predicated on giving you more options in terms of how you play with each vault hunter but as you move into the end game you basically have to min/max to a degree that ignores two whole other playstyles.
Yeeeep

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Welp, finished the game.

Story just felt like a huge missed opportunity but the actual game itself is fun and I like how most of the characters were handled though I wish Mordecai, Tina and Brick got more screen time. The new characters introduced like Wainwright, BALEX and Lorelei were cool. I really enjoyed them.

I think DLC is going to do most of the grunt work when it comes to carrying Borderlands' narrative going forward, especially with that set up at the end. Tyreen and Troy were truly boring villains.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019

thats only the case for Mayhem 3

Anything under is fair game

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Welp, finished the game.

Story just felt like a huge missed opportunity but the actual game itself is fun and I like how most of the characters were handled though I wish Mordecai, Tina and Brick got more screen time. The new characters introduced like BALEX and Lorelei were stellar.

I think DLC is going to do most of the grunt work when it comes to carrying Borderlands' narrative going forward, especially with that set up at the end. Tyreen and Troy were truly boring villains.
You thought Lorelai was stellar?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
thats only the case for Mayhem 3

Anything under is fair game
There will inevitably be a 4th mayhem level added at some point. And I mean isn't the point of endgame to be able to easily go through mayhem 3 at the end of everything? Can't do that if the balancing is way off. I also dislike how Zane doesn't have the QOL features that past characters have had with no way to recall his drone (or other action skills) early.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Okay using the world 'stellar' might be a bit too much but I really enjoyed her. She genuinely cracked me up here and there. Same with the others, and that's the best you can really hope for when it comes to Borderlands.

Also coming into this I thought they'd butcher Rhys like they did Vaughn but I actually really like how they handled him this time around. Probably my favourite character. I had a smile on my face every time he appeared. That Atlas vs Maliwan corporate war subplot was probably the best part of the game imo before it all got bogged down by the Eden-6 shenanigans.

weremichael

Oct 27, 2017
Rocky Mountains
I finished the campaign running as Zane. Reached level 41. I played most of the game with weremichael in co-op mode and we had a great time. We would mark off super baddies to concentrate on (Amara did her lift up enemy in a fist bubble and I would throw a grenade and then lay concentrated fire until dead - worked well). Fantastic game.

We played a 4-player twice for several hours each time. That is insane. Enemies everywhere, elements flying, explosions, rockets, pools of fire/chemicals/radiation. It was crazy. Zane freezing and slowing down everything was really useful for group mode.

I will turn on Mayhem and get Zane to 50 and then will start my next character. This game has so much replay. And I enjoyed the humour.

I'll second everything you said. The game shines in co-op, especially four player. My Wyoming internet connection struggled hosting the game with two consoles running the game (my wife hosting on the PS4 pro and me on a base model). The chaos was definitely as over the top as any gamer would want.

Frame rate definitely took a serious hit with that much action happening. I look forward to the performance patch whenever it drops. I'm glad they acknowledged the issue and said they're working on it.

Here's my review I posted to my clan's Destiny Discord server (Resetera's own Disposable Heroes) :

Alright! I just finished the story with Amara. The story is much better than the doom and gloom on Resetera would have one believe. The drop rate for legendary items is at a sweet spot for me and I haven't touched mayhem mode yet.

I've been a Bungie man since Marathon on Mac and I have to say that they've been dethroned by this game for me. Gearbox finally cracked the gunplay model. It was always the biggest missing link in Borderlands one and two for me.

Overall I'm left feeling melancholy. Destiny has defined my gaming this generation. With their promise of supporting D2 for another five years, I feel like I'm going to get left behind while I wait out my D2 burnout.

With that said, I'll paraphrase my main man, "BORDERLANDS FOR LIFE!!"

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Not even 30 minutes into Mayhem Mode and I already have a fuckton of great legendaries. This Lucian's Call though... whew....

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of vaughn, no one has been any worse than previous games. Vaughn is truly terrible and they need to rewrite him going forward. I didnt even find pickles that insufferable

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
Totally agree with you on everything. It makes for some really poor pacing and a lot of dragged out boring moments. There's no reason for the excess that is on display here. A shorter and tighter story experience would've been much more prefered. Save the bloated repetition for end game.
Pretty much. The moment to moment gameplay is a blast. But I want to do more then just fetch quest BS. Pros: environments and gameplay, Cons: holy shit repetitiveness and campaign bloat

Sep 21, 2019
Does the campaign bloat heavily in the second half? Almost halfway through and having a blast with an Amara run, though the random hitching on PC when there are a lot of elemental effects onscreen is really rough. Even adjusting resolution to 720p and all settings to low doesn't get a stable 60 fps on a 2080ti card during heavy coop sequences. The proving grounds areas bring my computer to its knees. Game really needs a patch.

Feb 15, 2019
Man I really wish not everything was seemingly a world drop. I'm trying to farm a low level Storm Front for my alt characters from Captain Traunt (who is supposed to drop it alongside Gigamind) and it's been about 5 hours and I got a good 20 legendaries and none of them were Storm Front. Really starting to annoy me.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not with the Duc, or a Porcelain Pipe Bomb.
Well yeah, but I don't want to abuse completely broken stuff lol. Did they still not fix the pipe bomb?
Man I really wish not everything was seemingly a world drop. I'm trying to farm a low level Storm Front for my alt characters from Captain Traunt (who is supposed to drop it alongside Gigamind) and it's been about 5 hours and I got a good 20 legendaries and none of them were Storm Front. Really starting to annoy me.
Yeah way too many are world drops. Mine dropped from the Rampager btw.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ this is a long ass game. The lack of enemy variety and poor side quests makes this feel a bit bloated. I'm not sure why there has to be so many steps to everything and why some areas have to be so big. There is almost nothing new to disvover after the second planet. And the story sure as hell doesn't carry anything forward in an interesting manner. I'm at a point where I just run past everything trying to get to the objective marker asap.

It is a long game but lack of enemy variety? First time I've seen anyone say that. There are tons and tons of enemy types.

Feb 15, 2019
Well yeah, but I don't want to abuse completely broken stuff lol. Did they still not fix the pipe bomb?

Yeah way too many are world drops. Mine dropped from the Rampager btw.

It's really annoying when you want to farm a specific thing. In Borderlands 2 I could go to the BNKER get any sham in about an hour and it's good enough for my low level alts. Sitting here killing Captain Traunt for 5 hours already feels like I just wasted all my time. I might as well have just been on my alts. In 5 hours I could've rushed enough to make the lv 19 Storm Front irrelevant already.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
It is a long game but lack of enemy variety? First time I've seen anyone say that. There are tons and tons of enemy types.
And then most enemies have a badass version, plus the various forms of goliaths, tinks, and then annointed. And that is just the initial play through. Plus some pretty awesome bosses.

This game has really hit a home run for me.

The only thing the game needed was more Vaughn.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Welp, finished the game.

Story just felt like a huge missed opportunity but the actual game itself is fun and I like how most of the characters were handled though I wish Mordecai, Tina and Brick got more screen time. The new characters introduced like Wainwright, BALEX and Lorelei were cool. I really enjoyed them.

I honestly do not get the character complaints i saw in the reviews they are great. Especially Tina she sounds older but not without sounding like a different person still

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I thought she was super obnoxious. And if you don't complete her side quest, she constantly pages you about her coffee.

How fucking long is this game. I must have 30 hours in and I'm doing bogus fetch quest after fetch quest. Why is everything broken up and spread around in this fucking universe.

Why does it feel that game developers make their games artificially long. It seems to be a recent phenomenon in my experience. And it's always in first person games. This game has nothing new to say or do after 15 hours. The environments are really awesome, I'll give it that. But Jesus Christ if I hear "now go get the next piece", "find the second part", "oh shit you need this piece" one god fucking time....

I thought the mission design was incredibly bland, especially compared to Borderlands 2. It's really a shame.

weremichael

Oct 27, 2017
Rocky Mountains
For those of us who love Vaughn, I've come to terms with the haters. I even developed a thought exercise for them:

Embrace the open display of male perfection. Best cure is to simply say out loud, "No homo" and enjoy Vaughn for what he is. Eye candy.

Jan 10, 2018

Can't say that I agree. After 20 hours I was still fighting some of the basic COV. Mission after mission with roughly the same enemies. Promethea had the Maliwaan soldiers and a couple of bots and Eden-6 had like two or three new animal types but overall there were few new introductions. You got the standard rifle enemy, the explosive one, the big one, the small one, the flying one and then just small variations of all those with different elements and armor/shields.

Boss variation was the best though. I just wish that they didn't feel like bullet sponges.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol the last boss.
Yeah ok fuck the last boss. Fuck that. Constant spamming of random pattern abilities, the fucking adds I'm supposed to kill a dumbass flying enemies that constantly fly out of sight, the completely unavoidable laser that almost oneshots you...cool fight. Reaaaal nice shit.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Okay using the world 'stellar' might be a bit too much but I really enjoyed her. She genuinely cracked me up here and there. Same with the others, and that's the best you can really hope for when it comes to Borderlands.

Also coming into this I thought they'd butcher Rhys like they did Vaughn but I actually really like how they handled him this time around. Probably my favourite character. I had a smile on my face every time he appeared. That Atlas vs Maliwan corporate war subplot was probably the best part of the game imo before it all got bogged down by the Eden-6 shenanigans.
I love if you select a certain option he will actually change his appearance based on that

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
For those of us who love Vaughn, I've come to terms with the haters. I even developed a thought exercise for them:

Embrace the open display of male perfection. Best cure is to simply say out loud, "No homo" and enjoy Vaughn for what he is. Eye candy.
I'm bi and still hate Vaughn more than literally anyone else in the series.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Lol the last boss.
Yeah ok fuck the last boss. Fuck that. Constant spamming of random pattern abilities, the fucking adds I'm supposed to kill a dumbass flying enemies that constantly fly out of sight, the completely unavoidable laser that almost oneshots you...cool fight. Reaaaal nice shit.
The adds are only for second winds and the laser is easily avoidable, there's a giant vocal tell for it.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The adds are only for second winds and the laser is easily avoidable, there's a giant vocal tell for it.
Well yeah the adds are for second win and love to fly over my head and out my sight when I actually need to shoot them.
It doesn't really matter if there's a tell on it, if I'm unlucky it's a direct hit. Same with the dumb orbs from the ground where you can never tell where they spawn. If you're unlucky you just stood right above one and you're almost intantly gone lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the largest complaints that I have is how exceptionally difficult it is to actually aim with all the lasers, explosions, and various shit happening.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Well, I finished it. Got some... story... issues...

It is absolutely fucking hilarious how hard they blank the pre-sequel.

The Watcher? More like the Who-cher.

Ah yes, all the vault keys, all of them, no other vault keys needed, no sir. Why would there be another vault key?

Lilith: "time to teleport the moon away"

Nobody: "but what about all the people living-"

Lilith: "off I go!"

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eden 6 has officially saved this game from being disappointing for me. Everything between Skywell 27 and Eden 6 has been one gigantic fucking slog.

being back in the wide open wilderness is peak Borderlands for me. I already found a neat little bridge puzzle with a reward at the end that actually, finally makes exploration feel kinda worth it. These are the things the game should have doubled down on. Instead of the slapdash linear crap like I mentioned above. This games buggy release and dated sensibilities make me think this project was in development hell for a while.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Whats bad about Iron Bear in particular is that 95% of all anointated guns require you to use/end the action skill, which for Moze is really tedious because it's a whole animation and not just a simple button press. Really hinders your power unless you're against bosses.
Yeah Moze is probably the worst designed VH when you start to look at endgame stuff.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think Moze could use an action skill indpenedat of just summoning ironbear. Maybe she can summon part of it. Like the chest part for extra armor or just one gun.