• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

BL3_Reveal_Event_Screenshots_Zane.0.jpeg

In an interview with GamesBeat at E3 2019, Creative Director Paul Sage revealed the game's length to be about 35 hours and that's without counting 'a lot of the side missions' available to players.

I'd still say we were very ambitious. My tech team would say we were really ambitious sometimes. [laughs] There's so much to the game. We go to these different worlds. The length of the game being 35 hours, if you just go through the main story — that's not including doing too many side missions. I think there was a lot of ambition right at the beginning.

Getting the multiplayer systems in — if you went through the booth, you saw us talk about some things where we have the guns populated from vending machines. They're just small things to a player, but again, they're introducing and reinforcing bigger things. All of these things that feel small take a lot of time and a lot of energy to get done and get done well. I'd say cutting it off, where you cut it off — I think you cut it off when you say, "Okay, we have to ship. We know we have to ship." Probably somewhere about a year before. I hate to set a timetable, but it's like that. We have what we need in the game, now let's finish making it.

So it's around a few hours longer than Borderlands 2's main story. I recall that game's story took around 30 hours to complete which imo I felt was a bit too long but this game's emphasis on travelling to different planets and seeing widely different locales should help to avoid the fatigue I felt near the end of Borderlands 2.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
Sounds exactly as expected. Honestly any longer would probably be worse, especially grinding alts up

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
What about when you factor in my usual staring at the menu and clearing out my guns lol

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
That's fine for me. I don't have 70 hours to do JUST the story stuff.

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
To long.... I love the series, but would prefer a tighter 15-20 hour campaign. I am worried I'll burn out before finishing.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So probably 100+ by the time I finish it with all the characters, find the loot I want etc.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I mean 35 hours first time but by your 3rd or 4th character it should be less than half that (especially if they finally let us skip cinematics and intros)

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
Bring it on! I just got into BL2 after getting caught in the BL3 hype during E3 and I'm at lvl 24 at the moment.

Oct 26, 2017
That's about in line with previous games. One if the things I like about the series is that they don't treat the campaign as a disposable chore to be gotten out of the way to get the player to the "end game" as soon as possible. You're normally deep into NG+ before you even hit the level cap.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
they previously said about 30 hours if you rush it. keep in mind 35 hours with the new fast travel system and not always needing to return to the quest giver for rewards cuts out a lot of time you couldn't cut in BL2.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
That's fine. I really don't need a bunch of lazy grind bullshit that turns it into a second job. As long as what's there is great and they roll out solid expansions intermittently, I'm good.

I don't need this shit to be a lifestyle.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed my time with Borderlands 1+2 but by the time Assault on Dragon Keep came out the game overstayed its welcome. I got sick of the multiple wave monster closets and any waist high creature charging your feet. It got quite repetitive to the point that I might not even play BL3 because I'm still sick of it all these years later. 35 hours seems like a lot for this game, but if the variety is there then good on them.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they would use one core save file and then let you switch up characters whenever you feel like it. 4 character, 4 playthroughs, x number of times to complete the story mode and reset the game to go to the next tier of enemy difficulty/loot pool......shit takes too long. Even with twinking there is only so much you can speed up an entire run of a story campaign.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably 50 hours to hit the initial level cap on your first character.

The Tiny Tina BL2 DLC was like the perfect BL campaign. Just the right size.

Not for a $60 RPG. It was amazing though.

To long.... I love the series, but would prefer a tighter 15-20 hour campaign. I am worried I'll burn out before finishing.

It's a loot grind RPG. Not a linear story game. Sure you can play it get way, but that's not how it is designed. It's should be a time sink.

Last edited:

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I enjoyed my time with Borderlands 1+2 but by the time Assault on Dragon Keep came out the game overstayed its welcome. I got sick of the multiple wave monster closets and any waist high creature charging your feet. It got quite repetitive to the point that I might not even play BL3 because I'm still sick of it all these years later. 35 hours seems like a lot for this game, but if the variety is there then good on them.

Have you seen Gameplay of 3? It seems to be less of that

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna be 15+ if you play with randoms who will rush you with stuff and skip all cinematics, etc.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Good to know it's still Borderlands and not changed to a Destiny clone.

It's a loot grind RPG. Not a linear story game. Sure you can play it get way, but that's not how it is designed. It's should be a time sink.
I didn't feel like I was doing much grinding work in BL2, I played it like a linear story game most of the time.

I mean if you've played it 30-35 hours is about the length of Borderlands 2 which had really good pacing.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
We need more games with tighter pacing. Even the ones I love that are over 50 hours like AC Odyssey and RDR2 have plenty of spots that could have been trimmed

Anything under 30 hours is music to my ears.