Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
Puts that claim he was spreading that Epic is sniping "his" employees into perspective. Feel sorry for the team though, hope everyone lands on their feet.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Lawbreakers should've been F2P day one . Anyway i hope he and other staff land on their feet.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You know the reason Cliffy B and heck, even Jaffe have found it harder to found success these days is because of one thing that I have noticed in general regarding game development-

We often talk of one "visionary" being responsible for the success of a game like say Kojima, others may retort this and say that its the whole team that's responsible for the games success- the truth is actually somewhere in between, the most important thing is not the single auteur or what have you but the leads/directors within game development, e.g art director, sound design lead etc. Kojima understood this, when he created his new team he made sure to get his old team leads and artists with him, those were the people that would be most important, the rank-and-file were replaceable and I don't mean this in a bad way, but more that a lot of talented rank-and-file developers in a team reach their potential only when they have good direction, which often boils down to having excellent leads.

Coming back to Cliffy and Jaffe, when they left their studios they didn't take their best and brightest with them- no doubt Jaffe and Cliffy themselves are talented individuals who have changed the face of gaming, but they cannot juggle the entirety of game development themselves. Heck, with the new God of War no doubt Cory was instrumental to its success- but as he emphasizes himself, he had a great team and the leads had to have been very good at their craft and at leadership to bring out the best in them, because these would have also been the same developers who worked on that one failed IP and Ascension which was not as well received.

I feel this should go without saying though. If Jaffe or Cliffy did think that it was their star power and not the teams they built at other companies, then that is their own hubris.

Nobody gets to the top on their own. Great leaders need great teams to succeed.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'd like to see him go back to where he made his mark...

UTwhiteblack-594x349-1066879393.jpg

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Unfortunate, if unsurprising. The multiplayer market is heavily saturated. For every hit like Fortnite or PUBG, there are about a hundred multiplayer games that are dead within a month (often within a week). Publishers and developers are attracted to MP games because they potentially offer extremely long retention (and therefore monetization) of customers. Unfortunately, that also means that multiplayer games tend to be mutually exclusive. Most players stick with one multiplayer game for months or years and convincing them to even try your game is an uphill battle. Most MP games have to go F2P to even have a chance and that poses its own challenges regarding monetization.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Sorry for Cliffy and the staff.

Are there examples of big name developers who broke off from their studios to make their own thing, that made it? Molyneux, Jaffe and now Cliffy come to mind as those who failed unfortunately but I can't think of big name successes. Let's see if Ken Levine and Patrice Désilets have better luck.
The Xenogears team formed Monolithsoft. Still alive and stronger and ever today. The Infinity Ward founders formed Respawn and after two Titanfall games are working on a big Star Wars title now. Obsidian came out of Black Isle/Interplay, some people might have heard of Fallout New Vegas and Pillars of Eternity. The Visceral team that made Dead Space formed Sledgehammer and they're leading alternate Call of Duty games now. It's certainly possible. Kev Levine didn't break away from anything though. Ghost Story Games is basically a scaled down rebranded Irrational, still under Take Two. Same studio, same publisher, different name, less staff. That's all.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
The Xenogears team formed Monolithsoft. Still alive and stronger and ever today. The Infinity Ward founders formed Respawn and after two Titanfall games are working on a big Star Wars title now. Obsidian came out of Black Isle/Interplay, some people might have heard of Fallout New Vegas and Pillars of Eternity. The Visceral team that made Dead Space formed Sledgehammer and they're leading alternate Call of Duty games now. It's certainly possible. Kev Levine didn't break away from anything though. Ghost Story Games is basically a scaled down rebranded Irrational, still under Take Two. Same studio, same publisher, different name, less staff. That's all.
One thing that tends to stick out to me is that when 8-10+ senior staffers leave as a group, it tends to work out well, but when it's just one person and maybe a friend or two, it's decidedly less successful.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Shame, Lawbreaker showed they have a lot of talent, just wrong place at the wrong time and once your MP only game is branded dead, it's very unlikely it'll ever recover, without at least going F2P, which is still no guarantee (see Battleborn or Evolve).
Radical Heights seemed like a last ditch effort to save themselves too, so can't say I'm surprised though, hope those affected land on their feet.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Or maybe people didn't like it?

The gameplay was mediocre/okay. Certainly not terrible and it had good ideas but didn't stand out.

On top of that, it's a hero shooter. And to be a successful hero shooter, you need... you know, good heroes. Lawbreakers didn't have that. The art style was shockingly bad and the characters were boring and unmemorable.
Lawbreakers had really fun to play heroes, not fun to look at. So they were half way there. I'm personally satisfied with just great to play for MP shooters, it's about gameplay only for me then. I'm bit bummed that MP shooters that are bit lacking in gameplay department find much bigger success with help of the artstyle and backstories. LB had nice diversity to it's cast, should have dolled and sexed up those female characters for better success though. To me it seems like the priorities are backwards. Not that I'd be rooting for any other games to fail, but I wish Lawbreakers could have atleast been sustainable for the more hardcore crowd.
People shouldn't find out that they're out of a job via a tweet. I think we can all agree on that. And yeah, Cliff has a big personality and really you either love him or hate him. But it does suck to see him put his heart and soul into something (Boss Key as a studio) and not only see it fail to pan out, but have a contingent of Internet trolls and haters shitting on him and its game(s) every chance they got. I know I'd be pretty heartbroken were I in his shoes, so I do feel for him in that regard.

That said, I get the impression that most if not all of his team will find places to go. Especially if it's true that Epic was trying to poach peeps and Insomniac has a studio in the area too.

They didn't, but yeah I agree with the rest of it.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
this was kind of obvious. radical heights was a desperation move, hence why it was in the state it was in at release.

they probably should have tweaked the progression in lawbreakers and released it free to play. might have helped a little. probably not.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah complaining about your employees leaving weeks before shuttering your company is a Bad Look

I'm not sure if you're serious but Cliffy didn't just wake up and decide to close the studio. It was already on the cards, he definitely should not have aired that dirty laundry in public.

Nov 1, 2017
this was kind of obvious. radical heights was a desperation move, hence why it was in the state it was in at release.

they probably should have tweaked the progression in lawbreakers and released it free to play. might have helped a little. probably not.
Wasn't it originally announced as Free To Play? If it had launched that way from the get go and had a strong marketing push and released on all three platforms instead of shit talking Xbox users right before your game comes out it could've had a better chance (not to say that last one had a huge effect on sales but it definitely didn't earn them any).

As a whole though it seemed like a hero shooter in what might've been the worst time to release a new hero shooter.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Shame.

His situation wasn't actually that different to Epic game's either. Until recently, both Fortnite and Paragon were relatively unsuccessful until Epic performed a last-ditch scramble to turn it into a Battle Royale game. Epic just had all the assets in place already, so they didn't need to release the game in 'extreme early access'. I'm sure their Battle Royale would have bombed too if it were a janky, broken mess.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
That's a shame. I hope all the staff get snapped up by other companies because they are good developers who were let down by BK's horrible management and marketing. Lawbreakers is a example of a good game being released at the wrong time with some rather questionable marketing and word of mouth.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I'd be up for more Unreal Tournament. Deck 16 is still one of my favourite maps.

It's sort of surprising to hear that Microsoft didn't want anything to do with Cliffy. He's made successful games for them before and they are dying for some decent exclusives.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Maybe, maybe not, hard to say based on that tweet alone, it wouldn't be that surprising if he wanted to make something new from the same genre.

Cliffy needed to pitch something that sounded good and workable. Between Twitch arena shooters and bandwagon BR games, I am sure many would be unsure about his plans. End of the day, he is still talented, he just needs to reign it in a bit and pitch something workable.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Damn right feels bad....

Wonder if Microsoft will hire them as a kind of Kojima moment. I mean I know cliffy ain't as well received as kojima but he is pretty big in the Xbox ecosystem. Glad he is taking some time off tho.
Wouldn't mind this. Keep The Coalition alive and let him cook up an exciting new IP with a separate studio.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope everyone land on their feet.

Going on your own buisness have lots of risks, unfortunately for Cliff, he faced the worst case scenario. :(

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they find a new job as fast as possible.

There is any case of super star developer who has found success sales wise after leaving the place that make him famous?

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they find a new job as fast as possible.

There is any case of super star developer who has found success sales wise after leaving the place that make him famous?
I get the impression Tim Schafer is getting enough success at Double Fine to continue running it. It does seem much easier to think up the David Jaffes of the other side though.

Fatal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope he didn't sink to much money into the venture.

Would have expected Lawbreaker to go F2P as last ditch effort.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't interested in Lawbreakers tbh, but I will always be a fan of Cliffy B because of Gears 1-3.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
I'd be up for more Unreal Tournament. Deck 16 is still one of my favourite maps.

It's sort of surprising to hear that Microsoft didn't want anything to do with Cliffy. He's made successful games for them before and they are dying for some decent exclusives.
People do not want a game with such a high execution ceiling in regards to shooters. Lawbreakers failed because of it and unreal and quake haven't caught on either.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yeah, it was pretty arrogant and rude, but it was also critique how he acted. I hope that critique, is still allowed in any shape or form.
Calling people abusing him in Twitter and such as "salty" is also very mild form of critique to that behaviour. The "cunts" he used to refer some people in GAF was way more accurate if also much harsher description of the dumbfucks saying stupid shit. I don't mean you btw, you probably aren't one of those.

Wiggles

Oct 28, 2017
Holy crap. That was unexpected.

It really isn't. Lawbreakers is one of the most spectacular bombas in recent memory and Radical Heights seems like a cash-in of Fortnite that was going nowhere slowly.

Hopefully everyone lands on their feet but it isn't at all surprising based on the company's weak output.

astroglide

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Poor guys bad timing. And poor choices. Made a hero shooter that was good but just couldnt compete with over watch. Made battle royal game that just couldn't compete with pub g and fortnight