• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Creepier than THIS??

tesla-bot-elon-musk-robot.gif
I wanna how much drug anyone who greenlit this had just downed to get there.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Well we all know how Elon abuses Special K.
Who thought that was a good idea though?
You see Boston robotics literally dancing around these fools with actual working tech and you got this fool trying to sell a vision of some shit they started thinking about yesterday.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
You see Boston robotics literally dancing around these fools with actual working tech and you got this fool trying to sell a vision of some shit they started thinking about yesterday.

Elon is a flim flam man like PT Barnum. He didn't have a robot ready so he had this guy start dancing in a robot suit to increase stock. It's not working out too well because he keeps being a nazi and making horrible business decisions, see the Cybertruck, but he has so much fucking money that it's nigh impossible for any decision he makes to actually hurt him.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Elon surrounds himself with yes men at all levels. Even if literally everyone else there realized how terrible of an idea it was, they would have just kept their mouths shut and nodded along, lest they lose their jobs.

Ash_Greytree

Oct 31, 2023
Reminds me a bit of the Pit Droids from Star Wars. I'm curious if that was intentional. I still believe that their doggo Spot has more commercial viability. My personal guess is that Atlas is going to be used in some specific industrial or dangerous scenarios where you need two hands, whilst Spot has proven its worth already by being a platform for various sensors to give readouts to operators, combined with a single multifunctional manipulator arm. I work in GIS and would love to have a Spot with a LiDAR or GPS unit on it to make fieldwork more easy.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Elon is a flim flam man like PT Barnum. He didn't have a robot ready so he had this guy start dancing in a robot suit to increase stock. It's not working out too well because he keeps being a nazi and making horrible business decisions, see the Cybertruck, but he has so much fucking money that it's nigh impossible for any decision he makes to actually hurt him.
We're lucky that moron doesn't make videogames, he would have promoted his WW2 shooter with actual short clips of Saving Private Ryan.
Elon surrounds himself with yes men at all levels. Even if literally everyone else there realized how terrible of an idea it was, they would have just kept their mouths shut and nodded along, lest they lose their jobs.
It should be self evident but anyone surrounding themselves with yesmen truly has no idea what they're doing.

Kidgalactus

Oct 30, 2017
Orlando
One thing that nobody in Sci-fi predicted accurately, but that seems inevitable now, is that the steps leading up to the advent of AGI are going to be just as potentially deadly (if not moreso) than rogue thinking machines.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Its a bit weird, but everyone of course exaggerates it into being the creepiest thing/TERMINATORS ARE COMING etc

BobHarris

Dec 20, 2017
I'm pretty sure they intentionally make these videos creepy because it gets people talking about the product. That's just marketing.

Sure it could end up being a deathbot, but this could also end up being the staff member you're cussing out in McDonald's at 4am for giving you the wrong number of McNuggets.

Seriously though, it's pretty obvious the billionaire class and military are slobbering over the thought of not needing humans and their pesky free will and inability to work 24/7 without rest. Going to be interesting times when these things are ready for application.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
legitimately one of the most terrifying things i've ever seen. sheesh. I mean the tech is incredible, it's just horrifying to look at.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Amazing. Creepy, beautiful, inspiring. We're legit going to see Commanda Datas in our lifetimes.

noodlesoup

Feb 21, 2018
Chicago, IL
Has anyone else seen that post-apocalyptic movie Love and Monsters with Dylan O'Brien? Anyways, this robot looks like it was ripped directly from there.

kE63Mi2uuJMn4jnV32iCGT.jpg

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
What's the use case of these things? Boston Dynamics' website proudly states they'll never weaponize their robots. So what is their aim for developing them? even if they did want to, the military has this weird dilemma where they receive an absolute ass-load of money each year, yet are famously stringent. And these things must be incredibly expensive
Nothing to stop a second company from churning out the military versions...

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
Between the creative people at Duolingo and the people Boston Dynamics they really sell you on the idea that their mascot is going to murder you horribly. Anyone looking at this video and not feeling a bit uneasy should get their head examined. It's absolutely terrifying. In a "good" way.