stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
variety.com

Box Office: ‘Garfield’ Scratches Up $22 Million Overseas Ahead of Domestic Debut

Sony's animated "The Garfield Movie" scratched up $22 million in its debut at the international box office.

Sony's animated "The Garfield Movie" scratched up $22 million in its international box office debut. It's currently only playing in 18 markets, roughly 35% of its eventual overseas footprint, so those ticket sales represent a promising start for the family film.

"The Garfield Movie" doesn't open in the U.S. and Canada until Memorial Day weekend on May 24. When it does land in domestic theaters, it's projected to earn $35 million over the long weekend and will compete for first place with director George Miller's "Mad Max" prequel "Furiosa."

Overseas, "The Garfield Movie" enjoyed the biggest start in Spain with $3.2 million over five days, followed by Brazil with $2.2 million, Italy with $1.6 million and Peru with $1.3 million. According to the studio, revenues for the film are pacing 76% above fellow kid-friendly film "DC League of Super Pets" (which eventually earned $113 million internationally) and 41% higher than "Puss in Boots: The Last Wish" (which started slow but eventually earned a huge $295 million internationally). Ticket sales are currently on par with "The Secret Life of Pets 2" (which ended its overseas run with $272 million) for the same group of markets at current exchange rates. "Garfield" will continue to roll out in key international territories throughout the summer.

talent wins. mid in boots will never recover. the orange tabby king is BACK baby

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It probably should be noted that in the Mexico numbers were boosted by the National Children's Day holiday (That and it's 6 days as well). Still impressive, but I feel these numbers might be front loaded because of that reason.

Also, you don't have to watch it with Chris Pratt in these international versions, so double bonus.

That said, I am curious why they aren't releasing it in America and other English speaking parts of the world alongside this roll out. You are one month on from Kung Fu Panda 4s release, you have 3 weeks until IF comes out, then 7 weeks till Inside Out 2 gobbles up the Animation Family Audience. Sounds like an ideal spot, you'd have to compete with The Fall Guy, but that's not competing with an audience you are aiming for.

Now though, you are coming out one week after IF (Which at the moment is slated to open better than Garfield... I'll believe that when I see it, the current audience has NOT been kind to originals.) And you only have 3 weeks until Inside Out 2 is eating into your audience share. Was that late May slot really worth holding onto? You probably could have pushed it up a couple of weeks and taken advantage of what''s going to probably be a fairly quiet May.

I'm not a business exec though, so what do I know, maybe I'm just running on School Holiday logic here from the UK and maybe US wise there's a reason they are aiming for that late May spot that I don't know of, enlighten me, because in the UK that's prime exam season, so not a great time to release animated films, but the best Summer slots after Exams already got grabbed up by Inside Out 2 and Despicable Me 4 so I know why they didn't go June or July, I just want to know why not early May instead of Late May.

OP
OP
stopmrdomino

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
It probably should be noted that in the Mexico numbers were boosted by the National Children's Day holiday (That and it's 6 days as well). Still impressive, but I feel these numbers might be front loaded because of that reason.

Also, you don't have to watch it with Chris Pratt in these international versions, so double bonus.

That said, I am curious why they aren't releasing it in America and other English speaking parts of the world alongside this roll out. You are one month on from Kung Fu Panda 4s release, you have 3 weeks until IF comes out, then 7 weeks till Inside Out 2 gobbles up the Animation Family Audience. Sounds like an ideal spot, you'd have to compete with The Fall Guy, but that's not competing with an audience you are aiming for.

Now though, you are coming out one week after IF (Which at the moment is slated to open better than Garfield... I'll believe that when I see it, the current audience has NOT been kind to originals.) And you only have 3 weeks until Inside Out 2 is eating into your audience share. Was that late May slot really worth holding onto? You probably could have pushed it up a couple of weeks and taken advantage of what''s going to probably be a fairly quiet May.

I'm not a business exec though, so what do I know, maybe I'm just running on School Holiday logic here from the UK and maybe US wise there's a reason they are aiming for that late May spot that I don't know of, enlighten me, because in the UK that's prime exam season, so not a great time to release animated films, but the best Summer slots after Exams already got grabbed up by Inside Out 2 and Despicable Me 4 so I know why they didn't go June or July, I just want to know why not early May instead of Late May.
They're waiting for the May long weekend in America and Canada to drop it

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They're waiting for the May long weekend in America and Canada to drop it

So there is a weekend holiday there then, I guess that'll be the main reason.

Still, I stand by it probably would have benefitted releasing now though due to the IF/Inside Out 2 Sandwich situation, but maybe that's a decision in hindsight thing with The Fall Guy sadly being a lighter opening than expected.