• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I really like it so far, but the co-op is too easy and a little broken. You can often win by using only a couple of boxes when the minimum boxes required are like, 20 or 30, thanks to the extend-and-retract tactic! It's as if they didn't take that technique into consideration.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the first 16 Worlds and loved every minute of it. Still got 2 other stories to play through, amazing value for money! Does anyone know how many levels there are altogether?

OP
OP
CaptainK

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I finally got 2 stars on the 3 modes, woohoo!

After the first few worlds of A Tale for One, I kind of felt like the puzzles were a re-tread of past games. But HAL actually added quite a number of new mechanics, like digging, hopping, sliding, slamming, springs, and drill blocks. And on top of that there was A Tale for Two and a Tall Tale. For the fourth game in the series, the content and variety is pretty amazing!

Just finished the first 16 Worlds and loved every minute of it. Still got 2 other stories to play through, amazing value for money! Does anyone know how many levels there are altogether?
By my count, a total of 254 levels and 16 balloon challenges.
Tale for One: 112 levels, 7 balloon challenges
Tale for Two: 73 levels, 5 balloon challenges
Tall Tale: 69 levels, 4 balloon challenges

masaa

Oct 27, 2017
France
S-ranked everything in the first mode:

BoxboyS++.png

Anyone up to the challenge? :P (You get a 3rd star on the mode screen for doing so)

I'll beat the rest first and try to go sub-1400 if I have the time. Definitely can shave more boxes.

The Zero-G world was my favorite world. So much potential to be creative.

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Tale for Two finished, that was probably the hardest set of challenges to do in the series. Started Quby, also a nice little twist on the series. Though the rewards you get for earning medals are much lower compared to the other two modes.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, managed to beat all 3 modes, but I'm a bit confused as to the unlock for getting all the crowns & medals in Tall Tale. I can't seem to find the costume or item that was unlocked. It was called Box-San I think. Least I was able to get the true ending.

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out, it was two separate unlocks with different names, it's just the name of the outfit when you have both of them.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I beat A Tale for One. This is the perfect train game. One stop away? You can finish a level in time. It really forces you to play it multiple times to get everything, but I always found it to be fun and not repetitive. I typically go for the box limit on my first run, so when I do go for the crowns it feels like the shackles are off.

This game seems to have flown under a lot of people's radar which is a shame. It's a fantastic puzzle game that makes you think without frustrating you. Plus you can wear a squid hat.

masaa

Oct 27, 2017
France
Boxboy3Stars.png

Not optimal by any means and I don't have time to improve them but here are my stats:
BoxboyS++.png

BoxboyS++2.png

BoxboyS++3.png

Overall, I'd say S++ ranking everything is a very fun challenge in itself. The best part about it, is that you're allowed to use all the techniques you've learned in the previous levels, which allows you to replay them and find different and more efficient solutions.
It's also not that hard. Some levels were headscratching especially in a Tale of Two, but usually, you go about them by just trying to find the best solution for each individual puzzle within a level, and then execute everything perfectly to get a good time. But except for some exceptions, the S requirements are still pretty lenient.

Also half steps are your friends.