• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
I caught this interesting little tidbit on Boxboy+Boxgirl's copyright screen...

OGm573i.jpg

Looks like it was made in Unity! AFAIK, this is the first time HAL has ever used an external game engine to make a game! (unless Part-time UFO uses Unity, I haven't played it); and only the third time a Nintendo affiliated studio has used an external game engine on a Nintendo platform (The other two being Snipperclips [Unity] and Yoshi's Crafted World [Unreal Engine 4] ).

Interesting to see HAL shift over to using a 3rd party engine, considering that they already have their own HD engine up and running on Switch (with Kirby: Star Allies). I wonder if we'll see them follow up with this with future titles, or if any of Nintendo's other affiliated studios might shift over to external game engines...

I know that Nintendo using middleware isn't something new (Havok has been used since Smash Bros Brawl), but this use of complete, external engines is definitely something new!

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's not that new, Nintendo themselves used Unity for their mobile games and Monolith Soft said they used Unity for prototyping

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I'm looking at reviews on Youtube right now and it seems to run absolutely fine? Care to explain this comment?

There was a commonly-held opinion that Unity is a terrible engine that is prone to performance issues. I was just having a bit of fun with that. I think most people accept that it's really just up to the skill of the developer at this point.

kraftdinner

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2019
My original post had it in "Spoiler" tags which used to make the text black that you had to highlight, but when I clicked "post" I saw that it made it completely invisible or something so I edited and removed the tags. Sorry. This did not work out as planned.

It's alright mang, I understand now where you come from. No biggie!

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
First Yoshi in Unreal and now BoxBoy in Unity. Even Nintendo's experimenting with third-party engines these days.

Frankly, though it may be dangerous to allow Epic/Unity too much leverage over the industry, standardized third party engines mostly seem like a good thing. With how much time and money games cost to make these days it must be wonderful not to have to reinvent the wheel every time.
Or, in the case of EA's Frostbite initiative, to keep trying to fit a square peg into a round hole...

Jun 2, 2018
Northern Ireland
I've some momentary blips with the framerate in this game. It has a little bit of jerkyness.

It has been fantastic however. The new mechanics in the second half of the game are pretty interesting.