Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

Boy, 16, arrested after felling of famous Sycamore Gap tree at Hadrian’s Wall | UK news | The Guardian

Police in north of England say teenager arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJldWeV3CcQ
4032.jpg

4000.jpg

A 16-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage in connection with the felling of the 300-year-old Sycamore Gap tree in the north of England.

Officers arrested the teenager amid an outpouring of sadness over the destruction of the landmark, which has been a feature of the site at Hadrian's Wall in Northumberland for hundreds of years. The boy is in custody and assisting officers with their inquiries, Northumbria police said on Thursday.

Locals and national park authorities said they were "struggling to see the logic" in the destruction of a sycamore which had long become "part of this area's DNA" and had gone through thousands of changes of seasons.
The tree, believed to have been about 300 years old, was made famous when it appeared in the 1991 film Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, starring Kevin Costner.
Police said they believed the felling had been a deliberate act of vandalism.

Supt Kevin Waring of Northumbria police said on Thursday: "This is a world-renowned landmark and the events of today have caused significant shock, sadness and anger throughout the local community and beyond.

"An investigation was immediately launched following this vandalism, and this afternoon we have arrested one suspect in connection with our inquiries.

"Given our investigation remains at a very early stage, we are keeping an open mind. I am appealing to the public for information to assist us – if you have seen or heard anything suspicious that may be of interest to us, please let us know."
He said: "We have ups and downs [with members of the public] but not to a degree anyone would do something like this. It's a reason better known to themselves."
He added: "It's part of this area's DNA, that's what I'm struggling with. I can't see the logic in what's happened."

Tony Gates, the chief executive of the Northumberland national park authority, said staff at the visitor centre had been in tears after arriving in the morning and finding the famous tree felled.
He said: "Everyone's just in shock. It's one of the most iconic landscapes in the country. When we feel that sense of loss, how do we perpetuate the legacy and create a real sense of meaningfulness?

What a total twat. What would possibly be the motive for this?

You can see it in this scene from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC2NC5s6NOk

Edit :
Second arrest
apnews.com

A second man is arrested over the felling in England of a much-loved tree near Hadrian's Wall

British police have made a second arrest over the “senseless” felling of a 300-year-old tree near the Roman landmark of Hadrian’s Wall in northeastern England.

Edit : Giant chainsaw found
www.thesun.co.uk

Giant chainsaw found in Sycamore Gap Tree probe

A GIANT chainsaw has been found in the Sycamore Gap tree probe as cops searched the barn of a former lumberjack. Police concluded their two-day search at Walter Renwick’s isolated Plankey Mil…

Last edited:

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
maybe it's just confirmation bias, but it feels like a lot of old things have been destroyed by people more frequently lately

PennyPasta

Sep 3, 2020
Gamer County
I mean it's a dick move, but community service is the obvious 'punishment'. Don't think theirs much use in fucking with a kids life over a tree.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Trolling, history of similar behavior
Just say you did it as a climate crisis protest and watch how many people rally behind you.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it would be some dumbass teenager. Of course.

"Hahahahaha...its just a joke, bruv."

Oct 26, 2017
Ahh. Okay. I'm a dummy. The boy didn't fall off the tree. This makes more sense now.

The dumb shit people do for fun and clout.....

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Most teenagers are complete pricks at the best of times, this one is a step up from that

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Just senseless vandalism.

I hope he's not named so he doesn't get the clout he's clearly seeking. Force him to personally plant a thousand trees as punishment.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Just say you did it as a climate crisis protest and watch how many people rally behind you.

His actual defense would be to say he played BOTW and it showed him how to cut trees and then you'll get many morons on his side to say video games corrupted him.

More seriously, IDK what they should do with it. Punishment should be substantial, but he's a teenager. Force him to plant trees for a few years every summer as some sort of community service thing?

This kid is a total fucking moron no matter how you look at it if he really did it.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
PLANT THE BOY AND FELL HIM IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Is it possible to like pour some miracle grow and like staple the tree together and have it recover?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
the tree survived hundreds of years of teenage boys, and this little shit was the one to do it. His parents went wrong.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
i mean I'd rather see people face jail time for stuff like this over things like looting a store. Not condoning either, but honestly, what else can you do. It was a 300 year old living landmark. This just makes me mad.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
the kid was just trying to emulate Zelda IRL, blame Miyamoto and Aonuma for this

Last edited:

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017

Super weird I have to explain this, but it seems to have really confused people.

Right now, this is a child who is just a vandal. Everyone fucking hates him. He, or others, could change that narrative and say that it was a protest due to the climate crisis. Suddenly, he is now a scared/confused kid growing up in a terrible world the adults have handed him. He would immediately garner sympathy and even the support of some people.

I'm not saying it is right, I'm saying he could say that to help reduce the heat in the room he built for himself. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to hear the climate change angle at all.